Has anyone ever tried to 'save' you from D&D?

Have you ever had someone make a serious effort to 'save' you from D&D?

• Yes. They thought it was too sedentary and tried to get me involved in sports.

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • Yes. They thought I had too few friends and tried to get me into social mixing.

Votes: 24 7.9%
  • Yes. They thought my D&D friends were geeky and wanted me to meet a jockier/more popular class of id

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Yes. They thought D&D was a religious or moral hazard or suicide risk.

Votes: 104 34.2%
  • No. That never happened to me.

Votes: 175 57.6%

• Poll closed .

Agemegos

Explorer
nsruf said:
Well, Steve Jackson saved me from playing AD&D 2nd Ed. by publising GURPS, but that's probably not what you meant...:p

I thought of putting such an option in (as Steve Jackson saved me from playing D&D by publishing The Fantasy Trip). Then I thought better of it.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
My dad used to think it was even worse than computer games. He'd keep cracking jokes about it in front of various people, which I found somewhat embarassing when I was a kid.

One day, I got some of this treatment while he was sat round with his golfing buddies. I explained to them what a 'rules lawyer' was - being the very definition of how he played golf - right down to a well thumbed rulebook sat in the top of the golfbag! They still call him that to this day. Don't think he's bought the subject up since. :)

I should've just told him about the kid disappearing in the tunnels. Think he'd have been encouraging me to play more!

Oh, and I nearly forgot, he was a train spotter as a kid, which I feel gives him no right to ridicule others geekiness - after all it is the very bottom rung of the International Brotherhood of Geekmasonry. :)

Anthraxus

Explorer
Well, it was during the mid- to late 80's, right after a 60 Minutes special or something of the sort. I don't know if they were playing up the suicide or satanic angle on the show, or what. :\

My mother walks in my room and asks me straight up "What would you do if I burned all your books?"

I shrugged, replying in a normal voice(probably with a 'what the heck are you talking about' look on my face) "What would YOU do if I burned all YOUR books?"

That was all she ever said about D&D. :)

-A

Teflon Billy

Explorer
I checked yes to the "Religious and Moral Threat" option, but seeing as i lived in Canada's bible belt, and took the game up specifically because I saw a news item about it being a game for "Heavy Metal Kids who worship Satan, use drugs and committ suicide" (which sounded fantastic to 12-year old me) I can't really be surprised.

I'm overjoyed to see that the "nothing like that has happened to me" option is so far out in front. Times are a'changin :)

Deimodius

First Post
I've been playing for about 19 years now, and I don't remember anyone trying to "save" me for religious reasons. In Toronto, Canada things are a lot less "religious" than is some parts of the US, so it seems to be less of an issue.

I do recall my friends and I had some trouble in highschool because we were told that, in order to use any of the school rooms to play after school or at lunch, we would need a teacher to chaperone us (basically a teacher who was willing to take responisbility for us, so we weren't unsupervised on school property) but none of the teachers was willing to step up.... so we played in secret.

More recently a friend who used to be part of our gaming group (and our games club at University) dropped out of the group and starting flaming us on our campaign forum for "not having a life". When I refuted all of his arguments by stating simple facts like; we only play once a week, most of us have significant others, most of us also play sports, we all have other social functions; he started getting mad and changing his arguments. None of the facts I pointed out changed his mind.

Personally I think he blames gaming (and by extension the rest of us) for his girlfriend having left him. She was, quite frankly, a snob who thought anyone not into souped up cars, drag-racing, and clubbing, was a geek. :)

LeifVignirsson

First Post
Yep, trying to be saved for religious reasons. I was a VERY devout Christian but then was kicked out for questioning God and the like... Went to D&D to kill the time and got hooked. Old friends from the church found out and got together an intervention group... WOW, was that fun... Yet, I am still gaming today while they are fighting each other because they can't stand each other anymore. I love it when I win :D

Kemrain

First Post
I feel lucky that I can say I've never been anything but encouraged to play D&D. I can't understand how people could be so threatened by a creative outlet that they'd try to steer someone away from a passtime that they enjoy. I also can't fathom someone so misunderstanding that they'd descriminate against or harass someone over a hobby or interest that didn't harm them in any way. It's frustrating, but again, I'm lucky to never have encountered much of that.

- Kemrain the Fortunate.

Wombat

First Post
Since I was in the First Wave (or is that Second Wave, since I wasn't in WI?), yeah, I got a lot of this very early on (1976, 77, 78, 79). Most of it was rolling of eyes, whining pleas, and a couple of yelling contests, but I survived, unscarred.

I was also warned against playing D&D because it leads directly to death in steam tunnels... ;)

Luckily, my parents took none of that seriously :D

Psion

Adventurer
Teflon Billy said:
Times are a'changin :)

Bob Dylan tried to convert me, too. ;)

Hmmm. I see one option missing. Trying to convert you from D&D because "it's a game for hack-n-slashers and doesn't let you roleplay."

Or would that be "religious or moral hazard"? ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads