Has anyone ever tried to 'save' you from D&D?

Have you ever had someone make a serious effort to 'save' you from D&D?

• Yes. They thought it was too sedentary and tried to get me involved in sports.

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • Yes. They thought I had too few friends and tried to get me into social mixing.

Votes: 24 7.9%
  • Yes. They thought my D&D friends were geeky and wanted me to meet a jockier/more popular class of id

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Yes. They thought D&D was a religious or moral hazard or suicide risk.

Votes: 104 34.2%
  • No. That never happened to me.

Votes: 175 57.6%

• Poll closed .

Lord Judas

First Post
No. Actually, because of the section of the city I lived in, my Mom was happy for any activity that kept me "off the street". Today I am computer programmer. Because we were poor, we had a collective pool of books and such that we shared.

Dextolen

Community Supporter
In high school my dad wanted me to quit because I was spending weekends with all my friends in the basement instead of going out and looking for girls - which is really ironic since when I found a gf, he told me I was spending too much time/energy on her.

As far as religion goes, I am a Christian and a gamer. I want to use roleplaying as a means of outreach and fellowship in my faith, I've been working on a big Narnia-like campaign and want to propose it to my church as an idea for a church small group.

nahualt

First Post
lucky me!

Well I consider my self lucky, it was my own mother who bought me the OD&D red box in a Sears Roeboock catalog, way back in 1985.

the only thing that I have got plenty is weird looks and morbid curiosity when people find out about my "hobbie".

MerakSpielman

First Post
My dad ran a brief D&D game for me and my brother, which is what got me into it.

Recently I've played in a group that included my minister's son.

Never had any problems.

CarlZog

Explorer
Quite the opposite. In fact, my 1e core books were a Christmas gift from my mom!

She was newly divorced when I started playing, and very worried about handling two pre-teens on her own.

I think she was quite happy that I was engaged in something so clearly creative, and something that basically kept me hanging around dining room tables -- ours and others -- instead of being out getting into trouble.

Besides, she considered it a lot safer than surfing -- my other teen obsession! :lol:

zog

Kalendraf

Explorer
Bloodstone Press said:
According to Vinny, Jesus was posing as a homeless man..... ;)

Who was quite likely a suffering paranoid schizophrenic. who truly believed he was.

I'm not a doctor, but I have studied schizophrenia. Many people who suffer from it never realize they have a problem and never seek help. A very common delusion for them is to believe they are someone famous such as Napolean, The President, God or Jesus. Usually they aren't dangerous, except perhaps to themselves. However, they have difficulty fitting into society, and it rather easy for them to wind up homeless. There are medications that help, but those suffering often never get treatment or discontinue taking their medication. The movie "A Beautiful Mind" covers some aspects of schizophrenia and is worth seeing just to help understand how easy it is for someone suffering from it can go astray.

In that meeting at the restaurant, both individuals were exhibiting various mental problems, and one ended up "converting" the other in the process. A psychiatrist could have had a field day with this.

Sadly, both individuals probably still need help...

Tetsubo

First Post
I had a co-worker that tried to "save" me from my hobby. In addition he took exception to the fact that I am a Pagan and not an upstanding Christian. He and I had issues. :)

My Mother "confiscated" my gaming books at one point. She was concerned that I was spending more time gaming then working on school assignments. Clue bat time! The gaming was INTERESTING! The school work was dull and uninspiring. To this day (I will be 40 in September) I have not forgiven her for invading my privacy and taking my personal possessions. There are some lines you do not cross. In my book that is one of them.

I also lost a solid gamer to a Christian cult. Actual Branch Davidian kind of group. He quit the game, devoted all of his time to them, moved in with them and gave them all of his earnings. Eventually he dropped off of the radar completely. His family contacted me at one point looking for him but I couldn't help them. I hope that he is well where ever he is. He was a nice guy. Just confused and easily manipulated.

Cor Azer

First Post
Nope. My parents were sometimes concerned that I spent too much time with my friends gaming, but my school marks never suffered, I never missed actual work, and I still did plenty of other stuff, so they didn't say much.

JesterPoet

First Post
Kalendraf said:
Who was quite likely a suffering paranoid schizophrenic. who truly believed he was.

I'm not a doctor, but I have studied schizophrenia. Many people who suffer from it never realize they have a problem and never seek help. A very common delusion for them is to believe they are someone famous such as Napolean, The President, God or Jesus. Usually they aren't dangerous, except perhaps to themselves. However, they have difficulty fitting into society, and it rather easy for them to wind up homeless. There are medications that help, but those suffering often never get treatment or discontinue taking their medication. The movie "A Beautiful Mind" covers some aspects of schizophrenia and is worth seeing just to help understand how easy it is for someone suffering from it can go astray.

In that meeting at the restaurant, both individuals were exhibiting various mental problems, and one ended up "converting" the other in the process. A psychiatrist could have had a field day with this.

Sadly, both individuals probably still need help...

I see what you're doing here. You're using your weak chicanery to try to convince everyone here that I didn't really meet LeeAnn Rimes at Perkins! I see through your ploy. It's because you're jealous!

Jealous I tell you!

GreyWanderer

First Post
Not me personally....

But I know a friend of my Mom's (this was about 20 years ago; my Mom passed away 7 years ago) asked her about my gaming - she told her that she trusted me not to do anything wrong or evil. She was cool like that :)

More recently, my Ex-Wife complained to our childrens advocate that our problems were caused because I got her to play a few times, and the game was demonic.
The joke was on her, because the advocate used to play in High School, and chewed her a new one.....:)

Grey

Remove ads