D&D 5E Has anyone tried a level capped/E6 game?

LapBandit

First Post
I'm currently playing in a game with a level cap of 8th in which I'm currently a level 2 Fighter. i think it's going to be an interesting experiment in restriction and wanted to know if anyone else had tried it this edition? I know in 3.X/Pathfinder there was the idea of E6, games capped at 6th so that magic didn't dominate the game and to keep the game exciting, but I haven't heard much about anything similar in 5E. Anyone tried it or have thoughts?

I wish I had known about E6 when I played 3.x back then. I think that was about the level where it was most fun for me.
6th level in 5e also seems like a good drop off point since most subclasses and classes get something special there, except for the cleric who gets it at 8.
So I think your DM is on the right treck. My PCs just leveled up to 9th level and now the magic users get their big guns. I am excited to see how that works out.

Last edited:

Wulffolk

Explorer
I really liked E6, as well as an E10 option, but I never had much interest playing beyond 12th level at the highest. The highest level character that i ever played was a 14th level Ranger that i retired because the story i wanted to tell with him was complete. I have always felt that the sweet spot has been 5th - 9th level in every edition of the game.

LapBandit

First Post
I really liked E6, as well as an E10 option, but I never had much interest playing beyond 12th level at the highest. The highest level character that i ever played was a 14th level Ranger that i retired because the story i wanted to tell with him was complete. I have always felt that the sweet spot has been 5th - 9th level in every edition of the game.

I agree that the sweet spot is 5th-9th. Although 5th level spells that full casters get at 9th starts to unbalance things.

Gadget

Adventurer
I think 5e, unlike its predecessors, does not tend to demand an e6 game as much for those who prefer that style. Things like Bounded Accuracy, reduced potency of Magic, and less of a reliance on Magic Items lend itself to a more E6 type style out of the gate. On the other hand, it does tend to push the magic further down the level progression with unlimited cantrips and most classes having a 'magic' option almost right at the start. I guess it depends on what one is trying to accomplish with E6. I'm interested in hearing the results of such games. I think it would at least reduce the complaints about groups curb-stomping high level threats with ease that sometimes rise up.

Last edited:

LapBandit

First Post
I think 5e, unlike its predecessors, does not tend to demand an e6 game as much for those who prefer that style. Things like Bounded Accuracy, reduced potency of Magic, and less of a reliance on Magic Items lend itself to a more E6 type style out of the gate. On the other hand, it does tend to push the magic further down the level progression with unlimited cantrips and most classes having a 'magic' option almost right at the start. I guess it depends on what one is trying to accomplish with E6. I'm interested in hearing the results of such games. I think it would at least reduce the complaints about groups curb-stomping high level threats with ease complaints that sometimes rise up.

As our game is E8, at-will spells higher than 4th don't exist. The DM did say that higher level spells exist, but they are ritual only and often require multiple casters and components, the latter of which are consumed.

In regards to cantrips, I believe he said they will not scale at 5th.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Not formally, but I've certainly observed that 5e starts playing better after a few levels (by 3rd or 5th, say), and that games tend to break up before going much beyond 10th (even APs generally go no higher than 15).

Of course, there's a definite sweet spot, just like there was in 3.x & earlier, but the limits of it are still debatable. E6 certainly worked very well for 3.5 (particularly if you were never satisfied with attempts to rein in Polymorph, for instance), but I think 5e could go another couple of levels - 8th level games, for instance, seem to go well around here.

Last edited:

I don't think 6th level is particularly special anymore, and LFQW is not really a problem in 5e, either. Yeah, it's there, but 5e provides a better balance than any edition (save 4e, which doesn't really count).

I could see stopping or drastically slowing progression between level 5 and level 11. Those are the most fun levels, even in 5e. Things start to get pretty nuts at higher levels just in general. I've got a decked out Fighter 15, and I can see being easily capable of over 100 damage a round by level 20. That means 400 damage in 2 rounds thanks to Action Surge.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The exp tables demonstrate an awareness of the 'sweet spot,' already, I think.

Progression is very rapid the first few levels (if you look at daily exp budgets vs exp to gain your next level, 1st & 2nd can each be over in a 'day'), slows dramatically by 4th, and speeds up again after 11th.

Remove ads