• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has anyone went back to 1E AD&D from 3E?

ScottyG

First Post
I never stopped playing OAD&D. I started playing 3E and like much of the new system. I've incorporated some of it into the old rules. I run the 3e rules pretty much as is. I like them both, but I'd say I prefer the 1e game with the house rules we've added.
Scott

Foundry of Decay

First Post
I've played through all versions of D&D over the years, and while I had a ball with all of them (even 2e, because we never took it all that seriously), I had the most fun with 3e. I personally prefer the ability to customize to a much greater degree. I had never understood (or used) the rule about Demi-humans not advancing as high, or the rules concerning wizards that couldn't use swords at all.. They couldn't even pick up a chair and smack anyone with it because it just wasn't covered by any rule (Though one could make those up.).

On combats being slow. I haven't had that problem so far in 3e. When we first started playing, I'll admit the game slowed in combat because of the slew of new rules involved. But now that we have a basic grasp of the rules, it goes by quick. Most of all I prefer the simplified rounds, simplified initiative.. I used to HATE having players with more than 2 characters each fighting a large number of foes because there were too many factors in what affected initiative before *AND* you had to re-roll every cursed round, and re-calculate. Now its roll once per combat.. Much nicer, much quicker. I rarely have combats go on for hours and hours.

I could also not bear going back to THAC0.. I just.. Couldn't. I also couldn't go back to a declining AC with the fulcrum being at 0, or the fact that if you played a mage, the life expectancy would be the same as plunking a limbless monkey in a super sonic jet fighter, starting the engine and watching it scream off into a wall. One hit by a peasant could kill you, especially when you couldn't gain any more than 2 bonus hit points for con (Um.. Ok, why is an 18 con for a fighter different than a mage with an 18 con? I know, it must be that secret fighter ninja super happy con!). What's more, a mage was useless at the lower levels.. One spell. Yep, then he'd relegate himself to the back row and quietly plod along with the party until they could rest a day and he could study again..

Most of all, I like the fact that there are templates with 3e. A 10th level minataur wizard is just damn scary by any stretch of the imagination.

Ack! Ok, this sort of turned into a Rant, and I certainly didn't mean it to. I'm not putting down the folks that love to play 1e and 2e, heck, I had a blast playing those systems too. I'm just saying that I could never go back to it again.

The most important part is to just have fun with whatever rules you play with. :)

Ron

Explorer
Uncle Joe said:
Nope. If I were not using 3e I would probably break out the old Rules Cyclopedia for a game of BD&D.

I agree, as a matter of fact, I can imagine myself running a D&D game with the Cyclopedia. I can't say the same regarding 1st ed AD&D. Don't understand me wrongly, I love my 1st edition books, especially the DMG, which I still find useful resources to my D&D game, but I can't play with those rules anymore.

But the Cyclopedia really shines...

rounser

First Post
A prediction:

AoO is the "new THACO".

Although I doubt whether 4th ed will ever be created, you'll have people laughing at what an overcomplicated mess those rules were.

Discuss. :D

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
AoO is the "new THACO".

Although I doubt whether 4th ed will ever be created, you'll have people laughing at what an overcomplicated mess those rules were.

Discuss. :D

You know, I don't know whether it was the age I started playing and the fact that I've always been fine with mental arithmetic... but I never understood the problems people had with THAC0. It always made perfect sense to me.

But then, I'm happy with AoOs as well.

-Hyp.

Been there done that.
An old froend decided to start DMing again but only a 1e campaign. This was after 3e came out. Been playiong in that campaign and having a great time. It is not the game that matters but the people surrounding you whilst playing it.

Turlogh

Explorer
Role Playing Game . Its a game, play what you like and have the most fun at. If your not having fun, being entertained why do it at all. WoTC dosn't have a secret police service to twist your arm and force you to play it their way.
The world is big enough for all types of games and gamers; some like the simplicity of OD&D, Some 1e AD&D, some even like 2e AD&D (me included), there are even a strange few who like the 2E options, and more than a few who don't like any form of D&D. But it is a game and they are not my enemies or a threat, they just believe wrongly.

End rant.:)

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
I couldn't possibly imagine playing any version of DnD prior to the current one.

I left DnD in 83 as a DM and 84 as a player.
I started it in 81 as a one shot in S1 and 82 when I got the game and realized what that one shot was.

Until 3E I felt and still feel that it was the possibly the worst or close to the worst RPG on the market. In fact I only bothered to look at 3E in order to find arguments to debate that it was still the pathetic excuse for an RPG that it had always been. :D

If my gaming associates switched to an older version of the game I'd either switch to a group playing some other RPG (or 3E) or quit gaming until I could find such a group.

eXodus

Explorer
interesting.

i think i will devote an entire website to converting 3e characters, monsters, spells, etc into 1e. it will be great!

or maybe not.

as many wonderful memories as i have playing old school ad&d in my youth, i could just never see myself going back.

it would be like if i decided to keep my 2001 suzuki in the garage and instead take a horse-drawn carriage to work.

Played Basic DnD before 2E and never used 1E. The thought of going back to any of these systems is unthinkable, however. I've never been so happy with a system and its supplements as now. Goíng back would be like breaking out of jail after many years and then going straight back.... (rules-wise that is!!!) :D

-Zarrock

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads