D&D 5E Has D&D spoiled you on other RPGs?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Currently enjoying D&D but would like to try other systems if I could find a group. Not particularly interested in running something else.

Reynard

Legend
I don't think "spoiled" is the right word, but it has become my default and what I revert to if I am having issues with other games. it is essentially comfort food -- and like a big steaming vat of bangers and mash, it is tasty but not particularly good for me.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I would not say "spoiled me" - but D&D has always been the game that stuck.

In various groups I've been in, we'd play D&D for a year or so, need a change, or there is a TPK or a campaign comes to an end, and we'd play something else for a while. But the thing is no matter what game we played within a few weeks to a few months (even if we were enjoying ourselves) we'd start champing at the bit for some D&D again.

So between D&D games we've played Villains & Vigilantes, Mutants & Masterminds, Marvel SAGA (best superhero system, if you ask me), Hong Kong Action Theatre, Amber Diceless, Starfinder, Car Wars, Legacy board games (like Risk or Pandemic), and so on. But none have the same staying power for us.

its 5e and a little call of cthulhu for its simplicity and modern game. i think most of the other games are for collectors and those that maybe arent satisfied with 5e and want ideas

i do think if elder scrolls was made into a d20 5e setting it would do really well. its an easy system to run

Well, in thinking it all over, I thought I'd share and ask if anyone else has run into a similar phenomenon?
I certainly am not having the same problem. I have one group where we only play D&D, are currently playing 5E, and are having a grand old time doing so. I have another group where we rarely play the same system for more than ~12-15 months at a stretch, bouncing from tried and true systems to new ones we want to try out to homebrews for a specific type of fix, etc.

I have, however, experienced a similar phenomenon. see:

I've spent years at this point modding 5E D&D to create the game I want, only to backtrack again and again for the sake of simplicity, commonality of play to the current establishment, and such.
^^This. my group modded the heck out of 2E AD&D back in the day (we had left our BECMI game for other games like GURPS and Shadowrun and Traveller for while, and decided to try the new D&D), and at the time, it took over our gaming attention spans. We could play any game that was fixed in our application of it, but only tinker with one at a time, apparently. Perhaps that's what is happening for you. Have you tried gaming with a rules-light or a system where your framework for playing it (the rules you use, what you use it for, etc.) is fixed?

I'm not sure I understand why folks come to a 5e thread, say they don't like/play 5e and/or have no interest in it. Why, in the great expanse of all that is the internet (and, really, the great expanse that is ENWorld), spend time on a forum engaging in a discussion about a game you don't even care about? Kinda belies the claim of "no interest", IMO. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something...

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Nah. WFRP scratches all the spots D&D doesn’t reach and I love it. There is a part of me that would happily replace D&D with it as my go to game.
I fell mostly the same. I prefer WFRP2E and would happily play that long-term for my fantasy needs. Use a few house rules to smooth out the rough edges, and I'm good to go. That said, when Cubicle 7 gets around to making WFRP using D&D 5E, I'll pick that up. If they can turn the 5E engine into something that can accurately mirror the grimdark Old World setting of mud, blood, and crap...I'd pick that up in a heartbeat.

Not at all for me as well. 5e is ok, but it seems to deliberatly not incorporate many modern mechanics/design principals so it will never be the "one game" for me.

5e doesn't stratch the itch when I want to play something like

Cortex
Fate
FFG Star Wars
TOR
even 4e/PF2e

I'm not sure I understand why folks come to a 5e thread, say they don't like/play 5e and/or have no interest in it. Why, in the great expanse of all that is the internet (and, really, the great expanse that is ENWorld), spend time on a forum engaging in a discussion about a game you don't even care about? Kinda belies the claim of "no interest", IMO. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something...

I totally agree in threads like "how do we make the 5e Fighter better?" and people respond by saying "play something else".

But I think the premise of this thread is "5e fulfills all my rpg needs and I don't really feel like playing any other games. Is that the same for you?" So quite different.

Remove ads