D&D 5E Has D&D spoiled you on other RPGs?

No, I would DM another genre of games if my players would ask me to and it would be in a heart beat. I love 5ed, but I also love Vampire, Palladium, Star trek, Paranoia and so many others. But people want to play D&D and they want 5ed in my area.

Jahydin

Hero
I'm not sure I understand why folks come to a 5e thread, say they don't like/play 5e and/or have no interest in it. Why, in the great expanse of all that is the internet (and, really, the great expanse that is ENWorld), spend time on a forum engaging in a discussion about a game you don't even care about? Kinda belies the claim of "no interest", IMO. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something...
For me, I'm just not interested in it currently. It's been my main pastime for about 30 years now. I'm not just going to completely drop it from my life just because I haven't bought WoTC product in a few years.

Also, just because you're not playing it, doesn't mean it's not fun to talk about. I haven't skateboarded in 10 years and have zero desire to again, but if I met someone at a party that was still into it, you bet I could I could still talk hours on end about it!

Rogerd1

Adventurer
Its really good and simple. The more generic version, Fantasy AGE is also quite good if you are not running Thedas. I actually started with D-AGE when we initiated my group of friends to ''D&D'' (which for them means ''every game with swords and dice'').
Not sure if you, but Fantasy Age 2e will be due out next year, I think. Could be sooner, although I believe the general rule of thumb is expect GR to be late.

But they always deliver.

Gave you tried Modern Age? If not, get the Companion and ModernAge: Threefold for their amazing multiverse setting which could quite frankly overlay / replace 5e cosmology with any real hassle.

No. I also like TORG Eternity, Savage Worlds and World of Darkness. These games do other things than D&D high fantasy.
It also does high fantasy in the form of Shaintar.
Plus there is also Savage Pathfinder, plus Bestiary. And Fantasy Companion to add more choices.
No, but not pushing me away either. Great system to get the next generation of gamers hooked. I still prefer Rolemaster for Fantasy, GURPS for Space, Shadowrun for CyberPunk, Champions for SuperHeroes, Call of Cthulhu for Horror, Torg for Weird, and GURPS for Genre Mashups.
Have you looked at Torg Eternity: Paraverse? It breaks the Law of One, in that the Gaunt Man finds alternate realities they invaded, and they change their plans in their reality.

I use D&D for fantasy. Full stop. If I am running fantasy, it is D&D.

If I am running a setting set in the 1800s, 1900s, or 2000s, I run GURPs. I feel the system gives me a better feel, even when there is magic involved. It just interacts better with 'realistic technologies'. I've also had some success running a homebrew system for a Cthulhu/Western game that was based upon a 4E system, but each character (pregens) had mechanics that the player had to figure out as they played.

For Future tech (Gamma World, Traveler), I use a D&D based system. Once technology gets that advanced, it is more like fantasy than a modern setting.

For a Superhero system, I run Champions (an older edition - might be first). I rarely do it, and Champions worked well enough. Learning a new system is too much work for something I run so rarely. I think any system used for Superheroes is going to be difficult. The power levels can get way out of hand, and the ways that powers can be used are too difficult to model in a game system effectively. I usually do pregens for Superhero games as it allows me to craft the rules around the Superpowers a bit more carefully before we play.
I recommend Savage World Supers Swade edition. It is way less fiddly that Champions which can be maths heavy for some.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
It has spoiled me on other fantasy RPGs that are distinctly cast in the mold of D&D, yeah. I do have a soft spot for some of the clones (notably S&W Complete and White Box). But D&D is really it own unique kind of fantasy. There are other RPGs that do non-D&D-ized fantasy much, much, better.

Quickleaf

Legend
For me, I'm just not interested in it currently. It's been my main pastime for about 30 years now. I'm not just going to completely drop it from my life just because I haven't bought WoTC product in a few years.

Also, just because you're not playing it, doesn't mean it's not fun to talk about. I haven't skateboarded in 10 years and have zero desire to again, but if I met someone at a party that was still into it, you bet I could I could still talk hours on end about it!
You might enjoy this... I'm planning on running this as my next one-shot:

Lazvon

Adventurer
Have you looked at Torg Eternity: Paraverse? It breaks the Law of One, in that the Gaunt Man finds alternate realities they invaded, and they change their plans in their reality.

I have the MASSIVE box I backed a few years back, but I haven’t even cracked the books in it yet. Would love to, but no time and rubbing D&D for kids and playing in son’s D&D game is all I have time for at the moment… someday…

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm with you..My home group occasionally plays Shadowrun, Delta Green, or another game for a short run, just to break it up, but personally, I play them only because that's what the group is doing, and I'd rather play D&D. I'd rather play D&D than do most other things - which isn't to say that I don't have other interests, I DO! I just really enjoy D&D. I wouldn't say it's an unhealthy love for the game, but it IS a passion, there's no doubt.

Eric V

Hero
I'm not sure I understand why folks come to a 5e thread, say they don't like/play 5e and/or have no interest in it. Why, in the great expanse of all that is the internet (and, really, the great expanse that is ENWorld), spend time on a forum engaging in a discussion about a game you don't even care about? Kinda belies the claim of "no interest", IMO. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something...
I don't think it's as black-and-white as all that, though. For instance, I don't like D&D to do classic fantasy, but I really like AiME, which uses the 5e rules. It's also the hope that there can be some favourable changes to the game because the "D&D brand" makes it easier to find groups for some.

Last edited:

Remove ads