D&D 5E Has D&D spoiled you on other RPGs?

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Heck no. D&D does D&D just fine. White Wolfs system does their games just fine. Shadowrun does Shadowrun…. Okay.

3rd Ed taught me that no, not ever other games needs to be D20.

Good god, do I need to bring up Cthulhu D20 and World of Darkness D20?

World of Darkness D20!! Never forget it. Learn the lesson.

Last edited:

Thomas Shey

Legend
Maybe a better question would be, what makes a robust game system? I would argue that it is a coherent and comprehensive way to manage skill actions and out-of-combat situations. Sure, combat is important and inevitable in RPGs, but combat is easy. What's hard is how to manage social interactions without devolving into pure DM fiat.

While I don't entirely disagree with you, I don't think handling combat in a way that is interesting, supports the kind of genre and style you're trying for, feels authentic and isn't littered with traps isn't as easy as you suggest. There are an awful lot of games that fall down in one area or another here.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Heck no. D&D does D&D just fine. White Wolfs system doesn’t their games just fine. Shadowrun does Shadowrun…. Okay.

3rd Ed taught me that no, not ever other games needs to be D20.

Good god, do I need to bring up Cthulhu D20 and World of Darkness D20?

World of Darkness D20!! Never forget it. Learn the lesson.

This is why I roll my eyes a bit at a lot of the 5e derived games out there. Some of them may be doing enough heavy lifting to properly support the genres and settings they're trying for; but I'm betting a lot of them aren't.

Greg K

Legend
Well, in thinking it all over, I thought I'd share and ask if anyone else has run into a similar phenomenon?
Not at all.
Icons: Assembled is my go to for the super hero genre, but I also like M&M 2e and want to try BASH:UE, and Marvel Heroic
Savage Worlds is my go to for most other genres.

However, whereas, I was looking to eventually try 5e, the direction of 5e (including WOTC removing existing book(s?) on D&D Beyond has me looking at Fantasy Age, Fantasy Craft,Tiny Dungeons 2e, Barbarians of Lemuria, and Conan (Modiphius) for fantasy rpgs

I also am interested in trying
  • In addition to Fantasy Age: Revised and Fantasy Craft above, I am looking to try Modern Age, Spycraft, and True20 for class/level games.
  • Honor + Intrigue, Cartoon Action Hour: Season 3, various Cortex Plus games, Stranger Stuff (TinyD6 version), Tiny Frontiers: Revised, TIny Cthulhu, Tiny Wastelands, Star Trek (Modiphius), Atomic HIghway, EarthAD.2, Meddling Kids

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Marvel Heroic
A plug for MHRP if you haven't tried it. Learning how to GM it, using the Doom Pool effectively, is a bit of a challenge (and the book doesn't have much advice) - but I think it's a great system. I've used it for supers and adapted it to fantasy.

Bagpuss

Legend

Has D&D spoiled you on other RPGs?​

God no. The system while pretty simple, has a ton of specific rules, if I want simple there are far easier systems out there, if I want complexity and customisation, again there are far better systems out there. The default setting is pretty dull generic fantasy.

It's like saying "Has bread spoiled you for other meals?" I mean I'll always eat bread, as will most people I know, and you can make bread interesting, or more complex by adding stuff to it. I like bread, but I wouldn't want to live on bread alone.

Yaarel

He Mage
Flaws and all, 5e is a solid and robust gaming system. It has a reasonable amount of customizability and balance. It has enough players to find other players.

I keep looking at other systems systems because their gaming engines have "ability score" mechanics that work better: Cortext Prime, Fria Ligen (Mutant Year Zero, Tales from the Loop, etcetera), and Shadow of the Demon Lord.

Sometimes the 5e flavor gets on my nerves, and I just dont want to deal with "Dungeons & Deities".

Still, 5e has ongoing support, and I know what its difficulties are.

Grantypants

Explorer
I'm not spoiled by the 5e ruleset or any mechanical aspect of the game. There are lots of great RPGs out there that I'd enjoy playing.

I am absolutely spoiled by the product support that 5e has, by the huge number of 5e players and DMs, by the digital tools that exist for 5e, and by the community of 5e creators making stuff that's usable under 5e rules. No other game really comes close to having all these things.

Remove ads