Has someone used the eye or hand of Vecna?

jcayer

Explorer
My players will be questing for the hand, eye, and heart of Vecna soon, but they will need to destroy them so when they finally face Vecna, he won't discorpulate, or whatever it is Gods do not to get killed.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Yep, I used it in my first 4e campaign. It was found in Thunderspire labyrinth, and the hellfire warlock decided to implant it (having been cajoled by its whispered promises of secrets and power which appealed to this PC's character. The player was saying 'Oh no, you fool!' while his PC was saying 'mine all mine!'

The PC was 6th level at the time, and it made for an interesting addition to the campaign, it gave me a fifth column for giving the warlock impressions of things, and he started to get an idea about when the eye was pleased with him and when it was not...

It's powers are not overwhelming, but it is full of character potential, and I don't regret using the eye at all.

Cheers

Heresstuff

Villager
I designed a campaign where an orc lord had found the Eye of Vecna and used it to unite the neighboring tribes with his own. The leaders of the other tribes put aside their enmity and joined with him because they assumed the Eye was a blessing from Gruumsh, the main orc deity ("The eye never sleeps.") He then launched a war against the neighboring kingdoms. The players were conscripted to fighting the war as 1st level characters and gradually worked their way up to becoming war heroes.

They did not learn about the orc king having the Eye of Vecan until they were about 8th level. It was sometime after that when they discovered that he lad launched the war in order to locate the Hand so he could possess them both. This realization helped revitalize the campaign as fatigue started to set in.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I played in a con game where the GM put the hand of Vecna on a table, and someone completely failed his saving throw to resist attaching it. That had apparently never happened before, so the GM had to scramble to salve the game while PvP broke out. :D

kenada

Legend
Supporter
More details. Moar!
It was a killer dungeon game at Origins this year. We were supposed to go into the dungeon to stop some major evil thing from destroying the world (though we ended up actually freeing it, which was bad).

We’d entered the dungeon and found a wizard’s lab/chambers. There were a bunch of interesting things around the room. Being a one-shot, most of them were bad/dangerous. I think someone found an intelligent ring that did vampiric touch, but it would drain you if you didn’t keep it topped off. Anyway, there was a cloth over a dome. The cleric went over, pulled the cloth off, and the DM does likewise at the table, revealing a skeletal hand in the jar. The cleric opens it, the DM gives him a saving throw, and he rolls a 1.

What followed after that is the cleric immediately put his hand on the table and chopped it off with his axe, and then he held the hand of Vecna to the stump. At that point, he gradually started turning into Vecna. The DM told us later that he had never had that actually happen, so he was scrambling to try to prevent the game from getting completely derailed. As the cleric’s powering up, we’re trying to take him down before he kills us. No one died, but I’m pretty sure at least one person went down. In the end, we managed to knock the cleric out and chop the hand back off before it was permanent. I’m pretty sure that’s not how things are supposed to work, but (again) the DM didn’t want to derail the game (as awesome as that would have been).

We ended up completing the dungeon, encountering some nasty traps but overcoming them. He was using Grimtooth’s for his traps, which was also great. In the end, we couldn’t overcome the big nasty at the end. Well, we won, but we also lost. It was a killer dungeon, so that’s expected, and it’s probably best it happened at the very end when was also revealed we were tricked into coming here to unleash the big nasty.

Overall, it was the most fun I’ve had playing 5e, but my sample size for that is extremely small. I’d totally do it again next year if they’re running something again.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases