WotC Hasbro CEO Chris Cox, "I would say that the underlying thesis of our D&D business is all about digital,”

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
But at all? I mean I think most people here at least attempt to read them.
This would be a good survey question.

I suspect we have a lot of people who collect, and nothing more, followed by a large group of people who just read the books, and a smaller group that has played within the last five years. And, at ENWorld, I would guess at least half of those who play also DM.

That doesn't necessarily represent anyone's preference, of course. But I bet there's probably a sizable population that are fine with never playing, for whatever reason.

This would be a good survey question.

I suspect we have a lot of people who collect, and nothing more, followed by a large group of people who just read the books, and a smaller group that has played within the last five years. And, at ENWorld, I would guess at least half of those who play also DM.

That doesn't necessarily represent anyone's preference, of course. But I bet there's probably a sizable population that are fine with never playing, for whatever reason.
I’m guilty of reading then reselling or giving away RPGs. I do play in a 5e campaign, have a home BECMI campaign for my wife and daughters, and want to run a heavily modified 5e Spelljammer campaign. But, of course, coordinating with everyone so we play more than 2-3 times annual is a right pain in the rear.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I’m guilty of reading then reselling or giving away RPGs. I do play in a 5e campaign, have a home BECMI campaign for my wife and daughters, and want to run a heavily modified 5e Spelljammer campaign. But, of course, coordinating with everyone so we play more than 2-3 times annual is a right pain in the rear.
Yeah, about once a year I purge the stuff I bought in a fit of optimism that, realistically, aren't doing anything other than gathering dust. Better they get a chance to be used by someone else. I still play plenty -- once or twice a month -- but from a narrower and more specific list of stuff.

Yeah, about once a year I purge the stuff I bought in a fit of optimism that, realistically, aren't doing anything other than gathering dust. Better they get a chance to be used by someone else. I still play plenty -- once or twice a month -- but from a narrower and more specific list of stuff.
Yeah, my best friend/DM has a bunch of my stuff that he hasn’t read in 9 months, and I want to trade it in.

Mirtek

Hero
For PC games I believe the figures are somewhere around 25% of games are never even launched once.
I'll have you know that I am going to install my The Witcher 3 - GotY Edition that I bought some years ago during a steam sale any day now.

Well, I mean any day after I installed and finished my The Witcher 2 and damn! I lost my saves from The Witcher 1 to import all my decisions. Guess I'll have to re-play that first (Yes! I actually played that one through!)

So mark my words, by 2050 I will have played through The Witcher 3!!!

Remove ads