WotC Hasbro CEO Chris Cox, "I would say that the underlying thesis of our D&D business is all about digital,”

Hussar

Legend
I seem to recall that you were one of the people who said something similar about how much money Dungeons & Dragons Insider was making for WotC during the 4E years. :p

Wow. Dragging up ten year old threads now? Yeesh.

I’m sorry but “WotC has to do better?” How much better than 20-30% growth year on year for six or so years can you do?

If that’s what bad looks like I wish I was that bad.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Wow. Dragging up ten year old threads now? Yeesh.
Just pointing out how "they've made a lot of money so far, which means they're doing something right" is a poor measure of predicting success (and yet some people keep using it). Hopefully WotC can look backwards by at least ten years.
I’m sorry but “WotC has to do better?” How much better than 20-30% growth year on year for six or so years can you do?
Given that the D&D brand is clearly "undermonetized," they certainly think they can do better. Whether or not they actually can is very much something else again.
If that’s what bad looks like I wish I was that bad.
Don't worry, you're bad in lots of other ways. :p

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've said this every few years, but I'd really like to see them more strongly identify the crunch as its own thing that can be updated edition to edition while keeping the lore mostly its own, and then adding lore to existing places rather than just regurgitating lore written before I was born.
Yes, please. I'm sorry that Green Ronin's experiment in 3E, with a systemless Freeport book and supplements that gave stats in various systems, wasn't such a huge success that everyone (including Green Ronin) then imitated that approach from there on out.

I can (and do) look past stats that don't apply to my current game, but if I'm going to have to make up the stats myself, it'd be nice if there weren't any in the lore book to begin with.

That's nuts to me. A book has value, just being looked at.

I have bought plenty of books I haven't used, but get a flip through or read.

A PC game I purchase, has zero value if not played.
Unless it comes from PlayStation Plus. I swear, they gave me so many games for 10 years that friends don’t believe the size of my library. Sucks that I haven’t been able to play most of those as I dropped the subscription two years ago.

Remove ads