WotC Hasbro CEO is going to have a Fireside Chat With Investors Over WotC

I wasn’t paying attention to Hasbro business news. Not good. Forbes is saying overproduction of MtG cards may ruin the brand. Wall Street caring about what MtG fans are agitated about is a new one for me.

MGibster

Legend
More than ten years ago, possibly 15 at this point, I read an article about how good WotC was about how they handled the production of Magic cards. In the mid 1990s, a lot of people suggested they spit out as many cards as possible to make as much profit while the "fad" lasted, but instead they were very careful in striking a balance between collectability and playability which allowed Magic to remain a viable line of business.

Zardnaar

Legend
More than ten years ago, possibly 15 at this point, I read an article about how good WotC was about how they handled the production of Magic cards. In the mid 1990s, a lot of people suggested they spit out as many cards as possible to make as much profit while the "fad" lasted, but instead they were very careful in striking a balance between collectability and playability which allowed Magic to remain a viable line of business.

That kinda went out the window about 10 years ago.

I bailed 12 years ago after seeing what was happening with the mythic rarity.

Art Waring

halozix.com
This has nothing to do with dnd, dnd is doing just fine.

The recent mtg m30 disaster is the most likely reason for their recent attempts to appease shareholders and investors, largely because they expected m30 to sell out (at $1000 for 60 random proxies), hoping to make the biggest windfall profits ever seen from a single mtg set release.

Some initial estimates from the mtg scene stated that wotc was planning on printing 30-50,000+ boxes (over 30-50 million in profits), based on prior print runs. Though we now have more accurate details, and the printed run was actually closer to 15,000 units (still projected to make fifteen million), but its not a limited set (they can reprint it anytime they want to). These are of course speculation based on multiple sources as wotc does not reveal sales numbers.

Below is a new video form Jake & Joel, whom I consider to be more level-headed than most other mtg youtubers, revealing the real sales numbers of m30 leaked on the internet. Jake & Joel's source puts max available units at 14,188 worldwide, 11,896 available in the US, and only 1932 successful sales with a reported 2477 attempts at a sale (many are likely the protesters filling their shopping carts and sitting idle). Total worldwide sales reported at 2239 units, placing it at 15.7% of the expected sellout figures.

While they did technically profit from the sale (high cost at retail, no cost for the set save for printing, because they didn't pay any artists to reuse their work), their original projected sellout figures were so high, that it doesn't matter how much money they made as they see it as losing potentially 13 million in projected profits. They literally didn't see this coming.

Furthermore, if you take a gander at youtube, several mtg channels did live coverage of the m30 sale (see Jake and Joel are Magic live coverage). From their experience and many other regular mtg customers, there was no heavy traffic towards or after the release, and many customers put the max amount (5 boxes) into their cart and just sat there idle to send a message, and it seems to have worked because they pulled the product 32 minutes after going live (possibly in part because of the negative live coverage across youtube). Some youtubers are even tearing up their m30 cards they got for free at the Vegas prerelease. Mtg customers were quite unhappy with m30 across the entire spectrum of players and collectors.

Although the company has attempted to carefully word the conclusion of the sale, they did not say they sold out, which they have repeatedly done in the past whenever a set does sell out. They simply state "the sale has concluded." Most recent gathered data from multiple sources show total sales of m30 to be at about 15% of what they expected to sell (Alpha Investments stated 1938 units, but only counted US sales, J&J's source tates 1932 units in the US and 2239 total units sold worldwide).

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
This has nothing to do with dnd, dnd is doing just fine.

The recent mtg m30 disaster is the most likely reason for their recent attempts to appease shareholders and investors, largely because they expected m30 to sell out (at $1000 for 60 random proxies), hoping to make the biggest windfall profits ever seen from a single mtg set release.

Some initial estimates from the mtg scene stated that wotc was planning on printing 30-50,000+ boxes (over 30-50 million in profits), based on prior print runs. Though we now have more accurate details, and the printed run was actually closer to 15,000 units (still projected to make fifteen million), but its not a limited set (they can reprint it anytime they want to). These are of course speculation based on multiple sources as wotc does not reveal sales numbers.

Below is a new video form Jake & Joel, whom I consider to be more level-headed than most other mtg youtubers, revealing the real sales numbers of m30 leaked on the internet. Jake & Joel's source puts max available units at 14,188 worldwide, 11,896 available in the US, and only 1932 successful sales with a reported 2477 attempts at a sale (many are likely the protesters filling their shopping carts and sitting idle). Total worldwide sales reported at 2239 units, placing it at 15.7% of the expected sellout figures.

While they did technically profit from the sale (high cost at retail, no cost for the set save for printing, because they didn't pay any artists to reuse their work), their original projected sellout figures were so high, that it doesn't matter how much money they made as they see it as losing potentially 13 million in projected profits. They literally didn't see this coming.

Furthermore, if you take a gander at youtube, several mtg channels did live coverage of the m30 sale (see Jake and Joel are Magic live coverage). From their experience and many other regular mtg customers, there was no heavy traffic towards or after the release, and many customers put the max amount (5 boxes) into their cart and just sat there idle to send a message, and it seems to have worked because they pulled the product 32 minutes after going live (possibly in part because of the negative live coverage across youtube). Some youtubers are even tearing up their m30 cards they got for free at the Vegas prerelease. Mtg customers were quite unhappy with m30 across the entire spectrum of players and collectors.

Although the company has attempted to carefully word the conclusion of the sale, they did not say they sold out, which they have repeatedly done in the past whenever a set does sell out. They simply state "the sale has concluded." Most recent gathered data from multiple sources show total sales of m30 to be at about 15% of what they expected to sell (Alpha Investments stated 1938 units, but only counted US sales, J&J's source tates 1932 units in the US and 2239 total units sold worldwide).

That's just part of it. An overpriced proxy set flopping isn't a big deal by itself.

It's a combination of over printing and the collapse of standard (which basically drives booster sales).

Rgat and to much money has been shifter to Iver printed deluxe sets. Rise of EDH and Modern which don't rotate doesn't help.

They've also been banning to many cards so why invest in new cards that ritatevout and the chase mythics require to much money and often get banned?

Art Waring

halozix.com
That's just part of it. An overpriced proxy set flopping isn't a big deal by itself.

It's a combination of over printing and the collapse of standard (which basically drives booster sales).

Rgat and to much money has been shifter to Iver printed deluxe sets. Rise of EDH and Modern which don't rotate doesn't help.

They've also been banning to many cards so why invest in new cards that ritatevout and the chase mythics require to much money and often get banned?
Yeah I did cover several of these topics over on the other thread, but I do think that in this thread, that their fireside chat might be a result coming directly from the m30 release, which as i stated in my previous post, was projected to make at least 15 million (and possibly much more) and the sale ended early (covered in previous post) with only 15.7% in total sales (best guesses from multiple sources).

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah I did cover several of these topics over on the other thread, but I do think that in this thread, that their fireside chat might be a result coming directly from the m30 release, which as i stated in my previous post, was projected to make at least 15 million (and possibly much more) and the sale ended early (covered in previous post) with only 15.7% in total sales (best guesses from multiple sources).
15 million is chump change compared to the rest of MTG.

They could cancel M30 and set all the cards in fire and it wouldn't be a big problem compared to everything else.

Remove ads