WotC Hasbro CEO is going to have a Fireside Chat With Investors Over WotC

darjr

I crit!
I was referring to the MtG side of things. D&D side was just a puff piece for the investors.

Well the whole lot is a puff piece.

Unless the comments I've seen are misinterpreted, they had this chat to tell MtG players "sorry, not sorry, you just don't get it.".

That said, I'm still in meetings. I haven't heard it myself yet.

Among a lot of things they said there was a bit of a “yea we make mistakes and probably just have” but coached in business like language.

I think the recorded audio is up now if you want to listen for yourself.

Art Waring

halozix.com
I meant that to the community, it sounded exactly like that.
Gotcha. My preference is to try not to speak in absolutes, because not all things are locked into a binary state. If that means I sound less than 100% certain, its because I am trying to remain objective about it.

Not to mention, I don't like to make assumptions about what other people think or read into things.

I've been thinking a lot about this. Would it be healthy if MtG just did a hard reset? How do you hard reset a 30 yr old game? Have they ever tried a hard reset? I was 12 in 1994, I didn't even know what MtG was until 1997 with Portal, wished I could go back and get into the game at the ground level. Just seems overwhelming now and felt that way when I dipped my toe in it in 2014.

Scribe

Legend
I've been thinking a lot about this. Would it be healthy if MtG just did a hard reset? How do you hard reset a 30 yr old game? Have they ever tried a hard reset? I was 12 in 1994, I didn't even know what MtG was until 1997 with Portal, wished I could go back and get into the game at the ground level. Just seems overwhelming now and felt that way when I dipped my toe in it in 2014.

Every rotation of Standard, is a reset...

Dausuul

Legend
A true hard reset -- like, Wizards declares all past sets null and void and starts printing new cards that are incompatible with old ones -- would kill Magic. There is a whole ecosystem built up around the game which would collapse overnight, taking thousands of FLGSes with it. People would lose their livelihoods. I honestly think you would see literal riots outside WotC's offices.

Furthermore, all the invested players would then ask themselves: Do I want to start over from scratch, or just walk away? An awful lot would pick door number 2. And those are the "whales" that have always driven Magic's profits. It would be like 4E, but a hundred times worse, and there's no OGL for Magic; there would be no Pathfinder to take in the players who walked away and keep them engaged with the game.

Now, that's for a hard reset. A softer reset, as @Scribe points out, happens with every Standard rotation... but that matters less and less as Standard dwindles. Wizards desperately needs to revive Standard or find another way to put card rotation back into the game.

Remove ads