Hasbro Game Sales Drop Nearly A Quarter (due to MtG and Digital Games)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This quarter (Q3, 2022) Hasbro's gaming sales were 23% lower than the same quarter last year.

Game sales include both tabletop and digital games. The company's Q3 release and conference call revealed that the Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming division dropped 16%, and tabletop revenues specifically dropped 9%, mainly due to Magic the Gathering release schedule alterations.

The big drop was digital games -- Dark Alliance and Magic: The Gathering Arena Mobile both falling.

There was no particular mention of Dungeons & Dragons.

Despite a weak quarter, the year's sales are still up 5% over the year so far.

Profits were down 36%m which is due not only to the sales drop but also rising industry-wide costs such as paper and shipping.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I can easily see D&D sales taking a dip for the next 18 months or so with that dip just having started, as there's an announced new edition on the horizon which tends to kill off sales of the previous one.

Ick. Even if D&D has nothing to do with it, I can see a hit like that causing company-wide shakeups.

That said, they had to be prepared for everyone who spent 2.5 years dropping their petty cash into digital cardboard game pieces would start spending them on, well, everything else they'd been neglecting since Covid started. Right?... right?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I can easily see D&D sales taking a dip for the next 18 months or so with that dip just having started, as there's an announced new edition on the horizon which tends to kill off sales of the previous one.
d1520154-9d54-4044-890a-e8d6974beede_text.gif

They have been very careful to avoid calling it a "new edition."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases