Hasbro Game Sales Drop Nearly A Quarter (due to MtG and Digital Games)

aramis erak

Legend
I can easily see D&D sales taking a dip for the next 18 months or so with that dip just having started, as there's an announced new edition on the horizon which tends to kill off sales of the previous one.
Plus the significant mechanical "mid edition course change" of Tashas essentially is already a stealth edition. Stealth editions tend to not attract more new-to-edition players (and corebook sales), and tend to drop off fans of the game before the shift. In the first case, because they get told the key is super important and should be considered core, upping the barrier; the latter due to any such element disappointing at least some fans

Tasha's is only the latest of many such stealth editions...
AD&D 1's Unearthed Arcana
AD&D 2's Player's Option C&T and S&P.
D&D 4E's 4E Essentials
Star Frontiers and Zebulon's Guide

And, non TSR/WotC...
MegaTraveller's Hard Times
Pendragon 3e's Knights Adventurous.
Pendragon 4e's Book of Knights &/or Saxons! -- changes to character gen.
The One RIng 1E & Rivendell (tho' to a lesser extent. Really altered the metacurrency economy)
Every WWG WoD line and their Player's Guide. (Effect minimized by being quick out the gate after the core) Same for Streetfighter RPG.
Justifiers and the Corporate Handbook... total change in game focus.
GW's Judge Dredd and Judge Dredd Companion... not that it was well supported with adventures (grrr)... most were in WD, and reprinted in the JDC... Totally ups the game to a new level. Especially adding Judge Exorcists....

Emirikol

Adventurer
So they're doing better than the market in general. What's the deal about everybody losing their minds?

GOOGLE: How much has the stock market dropped in 2022?

The tech-heavy Nasdaq 100 has dropped nearly 33 percent so far in 2022, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost more than 20 percent while the world's best-known cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, shed nearly 60 percent of its value.Sep 30, 2022

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

They say I'm crazy
I really don't care
That's my prerogative
They say I'm nasty
But I don't give a dang
Mocking bards is how I live
Some messy questions
Why am I such a heel?
But they don't understand me
I really don't know the deal about those elf lovers
Justifying that elvish blight
For far too long
Before I win this fight, sing

Everybody's talking all this stuff about me
But bards and elves I can't forgive
That's why I ain't got no contrition
Make my own decisions
That's my prerogative
It's my prerogative (it's my prerogative)

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
In some ways, this also feels linked to the NFT's scandal; I read today a tweet about "business thermocline" which while about twitter, can be relevant here.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
That is the one, I feel NFT's really represent "a bridge too far" expecting customers to cross that. Though having lived in the bay area near silicon valley, and watched the dot com bubble burst, I'm not surprised to see tech people be out of touch either.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases