WotC Hasbro Gaming Down 17% But D&D Remains 'Bright Spot'

ICv2 reports on Hasbro's latest quarterly report, noting that "Wizards of the Coast’s Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons were two bright spots in Hasbro’s Q3, an otherwise tough quarter with sales and earnings both hit by actual and threatened tariffs on goods from China".

ICv2 reports on Hasbro's latest quarterly report, noting that "Wizards of the Coast’s Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons were two bright spots in Hasbro’s Q3, an otherwise tough quarter with sales and earnings both hit by actual and threatened tariffs on goods from China".

essentials-kit-1171431-1280x0.jpg

Other notes from ICv2:
  • Hasbro Gaming, which does not include franchise brands Monopoly and Magic: The Gathering, was down 17%
  • Total gaming sales, including Magic and Monopoly, were roughly flat, a big change from the 26% growth in Q2
  • WotC has close to a dozen [digital] games in development for delivery over the next five to six years
  • Hasbro believes that WotC sales can be doubled over the next five years, “…as we’ve accomplished over the past five years.”

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, the new WotC Austin office is apparently doing electronic game work, on am original IP (not D&D, not Magic). Who knows what they have cooking over there.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
A great big kettle of Gleemax?

Sure, entirely possible, but they have some interesting people involved:

"Ohlen, who spent 23 years working for BioWare and Electronic Arts on Dungeons & Dragons video games including Baldur’s Gate, Baldur’s Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights, as well as bestsellers Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and Dragon Age: Origins, will lead the new studio’s creative development of new intellectual properties."

"The new subsidiary will work on the creation of original IPs outside of the Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons brands."

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I just meant that as a joke... this thing about "cooking something up" and what with Gleemax having this big brain in a jug of bubbling liquid as an image...

Fine, I won't give up my day job to do comedy.

I mean, abject failure of a Gleemax scale is a definite possibility, given WotC history with digital offerings up until Magic Arena.

Yeah, I know, but hope springs a turtle...

There is a BG game in development, though I do not believe it is a Dark Alliance game. Sorry.

The problem with that is that while BG is owned by WotC, DA as it stands is owned by someone else currently after Snowblind had difficulties/went under.

Hasbro has got an agreement with Epic Games, and this means we could see a Fortnite d20 RPG in the next years. If I say Hasbro wants a new version of d20 it is because I am sure its goal is adapting the franchises from the "Hasbroverse".

Action figures are for preteens or adult collectors, teenages would rather board games or videogames. Today most sold toys are linked with some famous franchise as transformers, star wars or superheroes. Movies and teleseries are a good advertising, but cartoons only for children.

Remove ads

Remove ads