WotC Hasbro Reports First Quarter Earnings

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Considering how only one new D&D book has been released in Q1, it's not that surprising it's only been mentioned once.

Magic have this surge of growth is interesting. Likely means more D&D/Magic crossovers in the future.

Hasbro knows D&D may be its cash-cow, but this needs time and a lot of work.

My suggestion is a dungeon-crawling boardgame with simple rules to be easily undestood for a new generation of preteen players, but with a right leveling up, without automatic milestones. And adding a free app to be the IA-DM for solo games, but without control of the characters stats, to allow total freedom for house rules.

Do you know anyone who is even passively "into" board gaming who never owned at least one of those?

I know a lot of people who are into boardgames who have never paid money for any of those - i.e. their parents may have owned them, but not them. They played them growing up or at other people's houses though. And you can bet they probably have paid for Scrabble at least once, which is Hasbro in the US/Canada (not elsewhere).

The themed Monopolies seem to sell primarily to three groups of people:

1) Obsessive collectors (who don't necessarily even like boardgames, but "must have" the Monopoly for their specific interest).

2) The much, much bigger market of "people who know you like thing X, and want to buy you a safe and memorable present". Anyone from grandparents to those acquaintance-y sort of friends certain people seem to have dozens of. This is how most of the "themed" Monopolies I'm aware of in the houses of friends got there.

3) "people who just wanted to buy Monopoly but all this stuff is around the same price and like like thing X so what the hell!".

One friend has like four different themed Monopolies he didn't buy any of, and I know all of them came from various acquaintance-y friends, who know he likes boardgames, and likes, say, Batman, so here's the perfect marriage of the two, right?

darjr

I crit!
Most of the time I’ve played monopoly is with people who “don’t play those game”

I’d tell them monopoly is why.

it’s a favorite of Hollies but going forward I'll probably only ever play because she wants to

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Considering how only one new D&D book has been released in Q1, it's not that surprising it's only been mentioned once.

The PHB was ranked #9 in books overall on Amazon yesterday. Not in gaming. Not in sci-fi. But in overall books. A product that can do that several years after its first release doesn't need new books to rate a mention.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
The PHB was ranked #9 in books overall on Amazon yesterday. Not in gaming. Not in sci-fi. But in overall books. A product that can do that several years after its first release doesn't need new books to rate a mention.

I mean, fair. But in earnings companies typically like reporting on growth, new offerings that are successful, etc. Saying "Are first D&D big is still selling well!" is very good, but at the same time sends odd mixed-messages to the investors who are not as in-the-weeds as to D&D's production schedule. The might be confused as to why the first book made is selling so well and the last one not as well, for example.

I'm not really arguing with your point, just trying to provide some context as to why Hasbro chose not to mention D&D more than once.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases