WotC Hasbro's Tabletop Is On The Up Again

After a disappointing 2023, latest earnings call from Hasbro shows tabletop games starting to recover.

67eb5171-ac-hasbro-fireside-chat-700x368.webp

After a disappointing 2023, with hobby channel sales struggling and a reported decline in Dungeons & Dragons, the latest earnings call from Hasbro, covering the first quarter of 2024, shows tabletop games starting to recover.

Total gaming sales (which includes everything from Magic: the Gathering to Monopoly) were up 6%, with Wizards of the Coast in particular showing strong growth of 7%.
  • Hasbro's overall revenues: -24%
  • Digital and licensed game sales: +14%
  • Overall tabletop gaming: +5%
  • Magic the Gathering: +4%
Overall, Hasbro showed a 24% drop in revenues, partly attributed to the sales of Hasbro's film and TV business. Tabletop sales, however, showed growth, led by Magic: the Gathering.

The report calls out the success of Baldur's Gate 3, and talks about new licensing agreements with video game studios Resolution Games and Game Loft, along with partnerships with companies like LEGO.

Magic: the Gathering is expected to be down in 2024 after a record 2024, with WotC's revenue expected to drop by 3-5%.

Also mentioned are "more exciting innovations from our D&D team later this year as we continue to scale D&D Beyond and expand the richness of tabletop gameplay to digital."

Meech17

Adventurer
I strongly recommend you try the free game called Marvel Snap. Takes 5 mins to play. Huge fun. Addicting. It's a MtG type card game (digital).
I'm torn on Marvel Snap. The game play loop is great. It's the perfect game to play on the toilet. I love how quick it goes.

But the card unlock system is so awful.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'm torn on Marvel Snap. The game play loop is great. It's the perfect game to play on the toilet. I love how quick it goes.

But the card unlock system is so awful.
Why? Essentially the more you play the more cards you will unlock

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I dunno, they still sell normal card decks and Uno decks everywhere.

Selling old things takes no product development, most people don't buy tons of them each a year, there is no need for retailers selling specific 2 of hearts or red reverse cards, and there aren't many stores just selling regular decks that provide play space.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Selling old things takes no product development, most people don't buy tons of them each a year, there is no need for retailers selling specific 2 of hearts or red reverse cards, and there aren't many stores just selling regular decks that provide play space.
But then, most people buying Magic cards apparently don't use playspace.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads