Have minions been reverse-engineered?

Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered or if I'm missing it in my DMG but in the 2 pages on creating monsters (184-5). I don't see anything about how to calculate stats for minions (other than hp of course) even though there is that table for the different roles and how to make something elite or solo. Do minions even follow the same set of rules as each other as a baseline, or is it more like taking a lurker/brute/etc. and then downgrading it from there? I want to make my own minions using MM ones as a guide but I'd like a better handle on why they have the defenses and attacks they do and I don't see the pattern clearly.

Thanks!

Mengu

First Post
For the static damage, assume they rolled a 1 on damage. It works for the most part. Also strip away any per encounter or recharge abilities, unless it is thematically too important to keep (like if you wanted a dragonborn minion, you might want to keep the breath weapon). Skirmishers, Soldiers, and Brutes convert into good minions. Lurkers, Artillery, and Controllers don't.

drquestion

Explorer
Mengu said:
For the static damage, assume they rolled a 1 on damage. It works for the most part.
If they're rolling multiple dice, I think it's a little more accurate to treat it as if they'd rolled minimum (i.e., all ones) than if they'd rolled a 1.

For example, the zombie rotter is a level 3 minion that does 5 damage with its slam. It's got +2 from Str, and +1 from being level 3, so that leaves 2 left over, from a minimum roll on the 2d6 slam. You can tell the slam would do 2d6 by looking at the next entry, for the regular zombie.

Mengu

First Post
drquestion said:
If they're rolling multiple dice, I think it's a little more accurate to treat it as if they'd rolled minimum (i.e., all ones) than if they'd rolled a 1.

Right, 1's on all dice is what I should have said. This applies to other conditional damage as well. In other words, if the original creature does +2d6 additional damage when it has combat advantage, the minion version would do +2 additional damage. Or if a creature does +1d6 additional damage when adjacent to another creature of its type, the minion version would do +1 additional damage. You could of course, for simplicity, remove any conditional damage from minions.

Revinor

First Post
Mengu said:
For the static damage, assume they rolled a 1 on damage. It works for the most part.

I can see quite big correlation between level and damage. Something like this

4 1-2
5 3-6
6 7-13
7 14-18
8 19-20
9 21+

There are some exceptions. Cyclop/ogre/troglodyte minions seems to deal 2 more damage. Some minions have special abilities for basic attack, which are not included here.

This looks quite similar to Low normal damage table with minimum damage rolled, as Mengu suggested.

The Grackle

First Post
I was wondering this same thing. But what about their defenses and attacks? Are those the same for as other creatures for their level and role, or slightly weaker? Do minions have roles or do they go off the baseline?

I know an individual critter's numbers may be tweaked from the guidelines but anyway I look at the Human Rabble or Goblin Cutter, for instance, I can't find a consistent pattern to explain the stats, especially the defenses. Sometimes it looks like the ability mod applies, other times not.

Would someone who sees this be willing to deconstruct the Human Rabble and/or Goblin Cutter, explaining how it fits with some model? I know fitting doesn't have to be perfect, but I'd appreciate just seeing where you think it's following some rules and where it's deviating.

Remove ads