Have you bought any books because they won an ENnie?

devilish

Explorer
No - usually have to take a look as well. Torn Asunder, f'rinstance. I was
expecting a d20 "Arms Law/Claw Law" but the crits section was disappointing.
I'm sure it won the Ennie for the other pieces but I would've been miffed
if I purchased it by relying on the awards exclusively.

fba827

Adventurer
One side note though - even if a winning does not directly link up to a sale, it at least increases awareness for the product if not for the publisher. I HAVE gone to publisher's websites based soley on they fact that they have a product or two up for an Ennie nomination. From there, I browse around for anything (product, desrciption, etc) that catches my attention.

Belen

Adventurer
Yep. Or more likely, I look at stuff that receive nominations.

Not having a list of all the ENNies from previous years, it is a bit difficult to tell you titles at the moment.

However, I am helping a friend as a game store next week and one of the things we are going to do is label award winning books and publishers. We're hoping that helps drive sales.

Maybe you guys should consider printing up stickers for that purpose. :)

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
I looked at the 2004 winners, and I saw Arcana Unearthed there. I said to myself, "the hell? Didn't I buy that, like, a million years ago? How old are these things?" But really, what it tells me is that by the time the awards are given, all the products are old enough for me to have looked into them and bought them or passed them by.

Perhaps if there were some products that I had never heard of that were really amazing...but I hardly ever find anything that really blows me away that I would be unaware of for the greater part of a year.

So, no. I've never bought any books because they won an ENnie, and I don't really anticipate doing so. I'll have already bought the ones I want by the time they win the award.

alsih2o

First Post
Baron Opal said:
Because it won an Ennie, no. But, it does bring to my attention products that I would otherwise not look at.

I should have stressed this. The ENnies did influence my decisions, but some of the material I would have bought ENnie or not. I got the print version of MMS:WE before it got the ENnie, knowing it was going to. :)

Wurm1234

Explorer
No, never. I find the ENNies list of mild interest. As I posted in the Murrus's Rant thread, the ENNies are kind of interesting in an affirmation kind of role. "Hey, I liked this book. It got an ENNie. Others must have liked it too."

Vrylakos

First Post
The Ennies has pushed me over the edge to buy a winner or nominee. I believe Monsternomicon and Redhurst at least are products I've bought due to the Ennies.

Vrylakos

Razz0putin

Explorer
I can think of three off hand that ended up being purchased becuase of the ennies book of the righteous, a mms, and dynasties and demagogues. In all of these cases the ennies brought them to my attention so I went out and read up on them and finding them to my liking/useable I was sold.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

I bought Magical Medieval Society and Monsternomicon because of their ENnie nominations/awards -- I don't think I would have bought these otherwise. They encourage me to take another look at products I might have missed. Same with the Mercury music prize, the Oscars etc. There are other products I have that won ENnies that I bought anyway -- Arcana Unearthed, Dynasties & Demagogues, Book of the Righteous (largely because of positive feedback on ENWorld generally).

Cheers

Richard

Remove ads