D&D General Have you ever chosen not to accept resurrection?

Undrave

Legend
It wasn't heroic, some Deep Gnomes had blinded us and wanted to throw us back out the underground. My druid turned into a porcupine. Bad idea it turn out.

But I was bored with the character so I let the old boy rest.

Yes. But not because of a heroic death. Had a monk PC in a 1E campaign where resurrection magic was readily available. He died. Actually he died LOT. Always raised. Eventually he got close to reaching his maximum allowed # of deaths. The DM generously extended that limit - and eventually he got close to that too. Of course each raise/resurrection had to be paid for. He did. And then he ran out of money. Stayed dead for a while but then it was arranged the he borrowed money from other PC's to pay for his resurrection again. Then he died some more. Finally, he obtained an Amulet of Life Protection - if you die your life force remains safely tucked away in the amulet and you don't have to be raised, just put back into a functional corpse. Took a fireball, which killed him AND melted the amulet. He was, by the original rules, far over the limit of how many times he should have been permitted to be raised. The DM was still sympathetic and willing to basically toss all resurrection limitations out the window, but the PC was at that point WOEFULLY in debt with no prospects of earning enough by adventuring to pay it all back, much less start to accumulate money of his own again. He elected to remain dead.

ccs

41st lv DM
On occasion.
Sometimes it ruin the end/story/etc
Sometimes it's just been time to move on to a different character.
Other times it's just not the right moment to bring the character back.

Shiroiken

Legend
Only once, and not technically the way the OP intended. I was a paladin to the goddess of beauty, and after a crippling battle, the only was to be brought back was via reincarnation. The result was an orc... which I took to mean my goddess had forsaken me. I asked the druid if the spell could be cast again, but we didn't have the resources. I decided I'd rather die than remain such an abominable creature, and told the party to leave my remains for the jackals.

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
Only once, and not technically the way the OP intended. I was a paladin to the goddess of beauty, and after a crippling battle, the only was to be brought back was via reincarnation. The result was an orc... which I took to mean my goddess had forsaken me. I asked the druid if the spell could be cast again, but we didn't have the resources. I decided I'd rather die than remain such an abominable creature, and told the party to leave my remains for the jackals.

But like... What if you were being tested by your goddess? You know, to find the beauty in all things and stuff?

delphonso

Explorer
Never been rezzed.

It hasn't come up in the last few years as I tend to play healers and my GMs have been generally not very brutal.

I remember two times a character died and why I chose not to come back.

Qui-quay, the Gnoll Barbarian (and other classes as the campaign was very long)
This was one of my first long term characters. Stupid concept and problematic for the team dynamic, but loved by all the players, myself included. When he finally did die, it was the result of a massive crit when at low health. At that point I was sort of tired of playing him. He had fallen behind the party in damage output, and we were basically just going from combat to combat at this point.

? the summoner. (Don't even remember the name)
This character died in our first session with a new DM. Not someone I liked to begin with, he gave us outrageously difficult battles with no chances to heal or recover. Ignored our comments on this. Worse, spell casters became useless as we couldn't recover our spells. Worst, he controlled my summoned creatures and just had them wander off into the forest. When this character died, another player said they could drag them to a temple for ressurection. I politely refused and then left the campaign. Seeing the exit strategy, a few other players followed suit in the next combat.

Oofta

Legend
I've never had one of my PCs brought back from the dead because the only ones that die are elves. In earlier editions they couldn't be brought back and then they were too low a level to have the resources (I think I had one make it to 3rd level). After a while even in campaigns where it was effectively free I simply accepted the curse.

Any elf PC I play will not survive past 3rd level. :confused:

pogre

Legend
I had a cleric with a do not res order with the rest of the party. It was a role playing choice for that particular character.

Naturally, he rose to a high level and retired.

I've never had a character raised or resurrected. Most of my character deaths have either been of the sort that were good deaths that bringing them back from would've been anti-climactic, deaths in games without a raise mechanic, or deaths of the sort where we all died and never played that game (or sometimes with that DM/GM) again.

Remove ads