Have you ever driven a player from a game?

Jeff Wilder

First Post
The question is mostly self-explanatory, but I will clarify that I mostly have in mind "a largely unobjectionable player," with the implication that your behavior was ... not ideal.

This will come as a universal shock to the reader (you may want to be seated), but I can be an abrasive guy. Often intentionally, sometimes not, and even sometimes when my intent is just the opposite. So I'm sure that there are situations besides the three below in which players have left games because of me. These are just those I know for sure, and the ones where it wasn't my intention to drive the player away.

The first 3E campaign I was in, there was this tall Asian dude playing a halfling. I kinda liked the guy ... he was laid back, low-key, and somewhat shy, but he also actively participated in the game. But, using my 12 ranks in Social Backfiring, I alienated him by remarking -- as a true observation, meant in fun and meant to help him feel included -- on the length of his fingers. (And man, I am serious. The dude's fingers were freakishly long. Like 25 percent longer than mine, and I have large hands.)

Now, there are a lot of people who respond well to this behavior of mine -- inclusive teasing -- whatever merits it has or lacks, objectively, as a behavior. But this guy wasn't one of them; he didn't show for the next session, and the DM (who is now a very good friend) let me know two years later than I was the reason he disappeared.

Same campaign, maybe six months later, we had this guy playing a bard. Gay dude, kinda flamboyant, with a serious streak of cheesy dramatist in him. His go-to schtick for being intimidating was casting pyrotechnics and fingering his rapier while staring at the victim menacingly. At probably around the fifth occurrrence of this exact same script, I started making meta-gamey half-IC/half-OOC comments. They started gently, but escalated with each occurrence. Eventually he got seriously pissed and quit the game. (I honestly wasn't trying to drive him away. He's a nice enough guy. He's just ... cheesy, and I was -- admittedly passive-aggressively -- trying to get him to stop. But he went from seeming oblivious to my attempts to being absolutely furious in the sppace of about 0.7 seconds.)

Years later, I'm DMing a brutal published module detailing an orc stronghold. Newish player, who I largely liked because of his engagement with the game, went prone during a combat while surrounded by orcs. On his turn, he stated he was standing up. I pointed out that he had few HP left, and that the orcs would all get AoOs at +4 to hit, so standing up might not be a good idea. I even suggested, "You could, for example, try to fake unconsciousness." The other players chimed in, more or less echoing my warning.

But he stood up, and was hacked to pieces. He got really pissed. But he seemed to calm down, and started on a new character. Between sessions, we corresponded via email, and he repeatedly tried to talk me into allowing him to take Craft Magic Arms and Armor at 3rd level, though the requirement was 5th level. I repeatedly turned him down, telling him that I wasn't comfortable with him being able to start his new character with self-crafted magic items at 5th level (the level of the party), when if he were working up from 1st level he wouldn't be able to do it until he was 6th level. The exchanges were civil, if tedious, and his character was otherwise a good one. (He really was into the game, engaged as a player and prone to submersion.)

But the next thing I knew, he was sending me email that he and his SO were withdrawing from the game. I asked why, and told him (sincerely) that I'd miss him as a player, but he didn't respond to me, instead responding to ... all the other players about how unfair it was that his PC had died, and how unfair it was that I wouldn't bend the Craft Arms and Armor rules for him. He ran me down impressively, in about a six-page email.

My other players (almost all of whom are good friends now) had a good laugh over it ... mostly at him, but they understandably like to see me discomfited now and then.

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
No, but there is this one guy I just can't game with anymore. He is constantly playing pranks on people's characters and doing what he can to humiliate them. He's been talked to about it before, and some of the other players have even gotten into fist fights with him, but all he says is "that he's just role playing and helping people build character" and just will not stop. So I at least will never game with him again. And many of the other players are going to ask him to leave the group as well.

Essentially this guy thinks that any RPG is just a means to mess with people's heads, and he really loves seeing people squirm when he does it.

We've even tried to get back at him in character. One player played several pranks on him to get him to understand that he should stop. But instead he had that character killed by pushing him off a cliff. His character was killed for that, then he started building his characters to be the strongest character of the group so he could continue to be able to humiliate people without them being able to do anything about it. Because he sees himself as the alpha male.

So I simply can not and will not game with him ever again. Under any circumstances.

He is incapable of understanding why and acts surprised and like he's really hurt by it.

thejc

First Post
Yeah it's not usually that enjoy taking away the experience of RPGs from some one. But there was this guy who was sort of a friend of a brother in law. He was youngish(early 20s), had been in the millitary gotten injured, now mooched off of his parents not working(nor for the year and the 1/2 since I had known him)...which is fine thats you, but don't expect the group to ALWAYS buy you lunch/dinner, cigarettes, and if we have decide to have some brewski's no you are not entitled them.

Back to the table. Decent knowledge of the game, 0 ranks in role playing skill. Habitual liar...."No I really don't believe you that the air force accidentally fired on you from an F22 Raptor while you were in a training excercise"..."No I don't believe you put 6 army rangers in the hospital when you won't even box spar with me with all the protective gear". Made the same character over and over and over. Moon Elf Warmage/Sorcerer. No emersion no originality, no care of the game. The guy was literally wasting space at the table. If his character would die "I don't care. I'll just make another one"

Over three long term campaigns, and numerous shorties and one shots, I literally grew to detest, nay loathe seeing him at the table. Others shared my sentiments.

On a beer and pretzels night(Mostly beer for me) it came to a head. I made a Moon Elf Warmage. I did and said exactly what he did for three hours straight.

He never returned. That was 5 years ago, as far as I know he still lives in his parents basement with a collection of character sheets that read "Moon Elf Warmage"

Oryan77

Adventurer
"a largely unobjectionable player," with the implication that your behavior was ... not ideal.

Dude, what is with the players in the Bay Area? I have dealt with many players just like you describe down here. I'd like to contact them all and have them meet each other. I'm sure I could form some very nice D&D groups among them (myself not included).

Anyway, I've ran plenty of players from the group. Most of it was intentional because I don't have the patience anymore to DM problem players. I don't hesitate to let annoying players know that it may be best if they bail out of the game.

But I'm sure a few times players left because they didn't like my style of DMing or maybe my personality. We're pretty laid back people, and I know a lot of gamers can't relate to when people are being sarcastic or teasing as a form of camaraderie & humor. Maybe they thought I/we were too abrasive, who knows. There were a couple of guys that left that I would have liked to game & hang out with.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Dude, what is with the players in the Bay Area?
Assuming this question isn't 100 percent rhetorical ...

(1) I think it's mostly the same everywhere. Back in Kentucky, there were good players, bad players, creepy players, obsessive players, laid back players, and on and on. It's the same out here.

(2) This is obliquely contradictory to (1), above, but to a large extent i wouldn't know. I've been RPing for a long, long time, but the truth is that I didn't fully "mature" (scare quotes intentional) into my current personality and preferred gaming style until I had already moved out here to finish law school. (I am, for instance, much more laid back and less belligerent than I used to be. (Stop laughing.)) So in a very real sense, Bay Area players are the only players I've ever known really well from a well-remembered perspective.

(If you are looking for players or for a group, BTW, shoot me a PM with your contact info. I have a few friends in South Bay who like to play but can't make the regular trip up north to our hosted games.)

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Maybe they thought I/we were too abrasive, who knows. There were a couple of guys that left that I would have liked to game & hang out with.
BTW, I'm actually sort of at peace with this. I feel pangs of regret sometimes, but mostly I'm philosophical about it, because it almost seems Darwinist ... the people who survive, thrive, and give back the sort of casual (but genuinely friendly) antagonism are the ones that end up making the best real friends.

That may be a rationalization, but I'm still okay with it at this point.

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
Can't say I've ever run someone out of a game. I'm just not that passive-aggressive. If someone isn't a fit, and isn't working out, the group (sans the person we're discussing) talks it over. If the consensus is yes, this guy/gal is weird/not for us/not fitting in/whatever, I send them an email and give them the boot. I've done it three times, and I don't mind doing it.

I'm not abrasive with them either, just honest. The one guy was really secretive about his personal life (like...weirdly so - I'm all for protecting yourself from revealing too much strangers, but the due up and got married and went on his honeymoon without letting anyone in the group know.), and a bit more of a powergamer than we wanted, so I just told him he wasn't working out, and recommended some other gamers I knew who might be a better fit for him.

Another guy was just flat-out weird. Mumbling to himself, staring far too intently at people at the table, not blinking (you can't appreciate how weird that is until you experience it). The group also has a standing policy - you show up to game night with $5.00 for pizza. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. He knew the rule, said he was cool with it, and either didn't pay at all (and still ate!) or paid in NICKELS (and not the full $5.00, either). Plus, he weirded out my wife. He got told a...modified version of the truth. I just told him he wasn't fitting in with the group and that we were happier with the size of the group before he joined us.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I've only had this happen once, and my only regret was that I don't know to this day what I did wrong. Or rather, I know several things that I did that the players might have taken as wrong, but since none of them would ever give me a reason, I didn't even get the benefit of the feedback.

Of course, given that it was a new game system, new location, new table of players, and me trying to navigate that, and they all knew it, they might have decided that the whole thing was doomed to trainwreck and bailed on general principles. Or maybe they just didn't want to hurt my feelings. Which is funny, since the only part that bothered me was not knowing. :)

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
well a couple. Mostly I asked them to leave, or I ended the game and started a new campaign without them. I don't think any left without nudging.

Smarmy Guy - no regrets.
Little brother.
3.5 only guy.
Married couple with 2 kids under 4
Mr. Once-a-month
No RP/No immersion chick.
The Sitter.
1-in-5 sessions guy, no explanations for the last 2 absences.

After playing along time with friends, I had to start over, and we went through a bunch of people who weren't quite right. I still have 1 bad player in the group, terrible at tactics and not much for RP. I would boot him if another good player came along.

Remove ads