Have you ever fallen asleep during a game? (Stupid topic, but what they hey)

Green Knight

First Post
So have you? I remember this one time when I was in a gaming store with my old group and we were playing the Aliens RPG. (You know, Aliens, Ripley, etc) Anyway, it wasn't that the game was dull or anything. I just hadn't gotten any sleep the night before, and I was drousy all day.

So we're playing the game, and a little bit after the game starts I doze off. (Note: I had learned years before the art of sleeping while sitting up, as teachers always noticed someone with their head down. If someone were to be sitting up, however, then it wouldn't occur to them that this person was sleeping as long as they couldn't see that their eyes were closed. And I always made sure to sit behind someone else) So I'm sitting there and we're at a weapons depot collecting some stuff. One of the PC's is trying to pull rank on the Supply Officer, only to find out that the Supply Officer is a higher rank than he. That's pretty much the last I remember as I was sitting there and just dozed off.

Next thing I know the party's in combat with the Aliens and the GM's asking me what I'm gonna do and all the other players are looking at me. My reply was along the linges of "Huh? Wha-? What's going on?" Have no idea how much time I was out, but it was a good long while, as it had gotten dark outside. Geeze.

Well, at least they didn't bother me til they needed to and let me get some rest. :D

Fenros

First Post
Yes, I've fallen asleep during games before. Most of it happens at a certain friend's house. We don't have a gaming table at his apartment to host a proper table game. We sort of gather around the coffee table in the living room while sitting on the couches. Those that sit in one couch in particular seem to always fall asleep without fail at least once.

We make jokes about it having a -4 to Save against its 'sleep' spell. Its just so damn comfortable. Of course, my friend's game does tend to have these long long slow spots that don't help either. :D

madriel

First Post
I have. I'd been up late the night before (don't remember why) and had gotten up early to go to work. Our opening session of a new campaign started after dinner. I was sent out to buy groceries and hadn't gotten in a much needed nap.

As our new DM started describing the caravan our characters had joined, I drifted off. Since we were crammed into a too small room I got jostled awake shortly before the first battle. Nobody noticed that I'd fallen asleep because I was playing a rogue for the first time ever and they thought I only needed to be prompted on which dice to use.

After the battle the caravan leader offered to reward us for our help in driving off the bandits. I said something about no big deal, just doing our jobs. Our fighter turned to me and said she's not paying us. We joined the caravan for the whole safety in numbers schtick. That's when everybody figured it out.

If we hadn't gotten ambushed by the reinforcements while everybody was standing around talking, I'd still be getting teased.

Talaysen

First Post
Yeah - I'm in this AD&D 1e game that meets every month or so, and I'll usually get a nap or two in there. The thing is, the chairs set up around the table are these awful folding chairs...after a few hours my back starts to itch. (That's what happens when I'm REALLY uncomfortable.) There are a couple of very comfortable chairs (and a couch) just a few feet away, in the same room, so when things start to slow down, I'll go and sit in one, and inevitably I fall asleep.

I think boredom does have *something* to do with all this, actually. The game in question is very heavy on combat. There's very little roleplay outside of the occasional in-character joke. (We have a gnome illusionist in the party, as well as a human ranger who's infamous for...well...many things. The rest of the party is often equally wacky. So there are more than a few jokes.) Trouble is, the sessions are eight hours long, and we usually only get one or two combat sessions in. Figure each combat session lasts between one and three hours, and I'd say one is generally a better estimate.

I play a magic user (basically a wizard, for those of you who are unfamiliar with 1e). I throw fireballs, I throw lightning bolts, I call upon the awesome power of the Wand of Frost. I try not to get hit. Combat tends to be pretty boring for me. I'm waiting for our other magic user to get high enough in level that I can dump my character and roll up a nice paladin or monk.

In theory, we'll be starting a 3e campaign eventually - and said campaign sounds REALLY cool - but I'll likely be moving in the fall, and it's not likely that the campaign will be ready by then. *Sigh*.

Stormprince

First Post
Back in my 'younger' days (ohhhhh, so long ago now! ;.; ), we'd have these monster AD&D marathons that lasted the entire weekend...with me as the DM.

After about 18 hours or so of, more or less, straight gaming, I was sitting in a nice, big, comfy armchair, roleplaying out a meeting between the PCs and a major NPC they had been hunting for....

Next thing I know, I'm suddenly blinking as my players are all looking at me with these odd, questioning grins. When I asked why they were staring at me, the bravest of them piped up with...

"Um, Chris... you were saying, 'You're in an obsidian pyramid-shaped room. Silver beams emerge from the floors, holding up the walls and meeting at the ceiling, where there's a silver basketball-like hoop hanging there...'"

Apparently, I had drifted off to sleep, but I continued DM'ing...I was even gesticulating as I spoke of this strange room, a room that had nothing, what so ever, to do with the adventure. I'd have thought they were teasing me, except I remember seeing the image of that room in my mind while I was dozing.

*chuckles* Unfortuantely, that wasn't the last time it happened, but it was the first, and most memorable ;) Some of them still tease me about it, to this day, more than 10 years later!

Christopher

Rashak Mani

First Post
Stormprince... talk about fully fledged DMing... even in your sleep your doing it !

When I start to doze off I start talking about things that have nothing to do with the current "topic"... very embarrasing. Even with my girlfriend I started mumbling once about something very wierd...

In game sleeping ? Nope not yet... I have seen players excusing themselves and going to take a nap in the sofa thou.

Stormprince

First Post
Stormprince... talk about fully fledged DMing... even in your sleep your doing it !

*snickers* Thanks, I think ;) Is it any wonder, then, why I was the only one who DM'ed for the three year period where the particular members of that group, and I, all played? *chuckles* Ahhhh, type-casting... gotta love it *laughs* Guess that's why I finally decided to try and write RPGs myself ;)

Christopher

DungeonKeeperUK

First Post
I had a player a few years ago in a game, she only came because her boyfriend played, she would fall asleep every session without fail. She got a rude awakewning once when I drummed out the horse hooves thundering towards the party on teh table.. ;)

The thing is the times when se was awake she was in fact a rather good player... shame...

Lunn

First Post
Yes, fairly often. Not every week and not when I DM, but often. My only excuse is that I have an early start time (6 AM) so that means early to bed during the week. Plus, I can change shift in the middle of the week and end up working 10 PM to 6 AM. Like today. I have to go in a little early (5 AM) to do a little work. I went to bed early last night but it threw my sleep pattern off. I kept waking up during the wee hours. I finally just got up. That is why I am making this post at this time of the morning.

All this plays hell on my sleep pattern. Come the weekend and the game, around 9 PM, my body wants to shutdown. If the action is a little slow, and me in a comfortable chair, I start to nod off. My group is kind of use to this.

Last edited:

Remove ads