• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Have you ever seen these weapons used regularly by PC's in a D&D 5e game?

Select any that apply:

• Club (w/o Shillelagh)

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • Greatclub (w/o Shillelagh)

Votes: 14 11.6%
  • Light Hammer

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • Sickle

• Dart

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • Sling

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • Greataxe

Votes: 98 81.0%
  • Lance

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • Scimitar

Votes: 74 61.2%
  • Trident

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • War Pick

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Whip

Votes: 35 28.9%
  • Flail

Votes: 21 17.4%
  • Halberd

Votes: 45 37.2%
  • Blowgun

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Net

• Glaive

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • Pike

Votes: 7 5.8%

Ironically, the reason I thought about other ability scores stealing Strength's thunder in 4e was my Hybrid Blackguard/Assassin who was Dex/Cha based but wore full plate and used a shield.
That I can believe. You could definitely play against type in 4e and I would have no objection if in 5e you could spend a feat to bring your sword and board combat up to strength based levels. But your example there is a hybrid of two Essentials classes; a very much niche build rather than the default way the game was set up with default options.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
That I can believe. You could definitely play against type in 4e and I would have no objection if in 5e you could spend a feat to bring your sword and board combat up to strength based levels. But your example there is a hybrid of two Essentials classes; a very much niche build rather than the default way the game was set up with default options.
One Essentials class, actually. I was an original Assassin.

James Gasik

Supporter
I'm curious about all these apparent club users out there!

Unless the first rule of Club Club is not to talk about Club Club...

Asisreo

Patron Badass
The sickle has been used by a high-level monk. It was essentially for flavor reasons, but it was still effective. Greatclub had been used extensively by a barbarian only because they started with no real weapon and it took almost half the campaign to get something better.

Greataxe is a bit more common with barbarians so I've seen it chosen for their combat effectiveness once or twice as a primary weapon.

I gave a magical lance and scimitar early on in a campaign and they were typically used quite often. Same with Tridents.

One Essentials class, actually. I was an original Assassin.
Then how did you move your melee basic attacks onto Dex? The feat?
I'm curious about all these apparent club users out there!

Unless the first rule of Club Club is not to talk about Club Club...
Improvised but weapon-looking weapons. I've had a player use a chairleg for two sessions using club rules.

There seems to be a decent amount of magical Greataxes and scimitars around, so they get used even if not many characters choose those as starting weapons.

I played in one game where a rogue used a whip to make melee sneak attacks at 10' range. He even had the Spell Sniper feat and used greenflame blade and booming blade with the whip to good effect. (This was back in the SCAG days)

Last edited:

James Gasik

Supporter
Then how did you move your melee basic attacks onto Dex? The feat?

Improvised but weapon-looking weapons. I've had a player use a chairleg for two sessions using club rules.
Actually I moved them onto Charisma. See, Hybrid Blackguards get their Dark Menace (Cha to damage) only with Paladin powers. So I used Virtuous Strike as my melee basic. This meant I rarely used my Assassin at-will (Executioner's Noose), and I couldn't get Dark Menace on my Assassin Daily (which was a ranged attack, as I recall).

The whole point of this exercise was Cruel Shroud. I could put a lone Assassin's Shroud on a target and get Combat Advantage whenever I wanted it, so I could get my Charisma damage bonus on demand. Not the most optimal thing I could be doing, but it was a fun character to play, regardless.

I made an exception for clubs and greatclubs because of shillelagh users, however.
You should also make an exception for clubs and sickles in the hands of monks, since they don't care about the normal attribute or damage, and there are thematic reasons to want to use them (any silat, escrima, arnis, or similar practitioners might jump at the chance to get to 2wf using paired sticks, for example).
I’m surprised halberd and glave are so low. I suppose PAM isn’t as ubiquitous as it’s often made out to be.
PAM seems to have drifted to PAM with spear as the primary usage, but also I think the whole PAM+GWM+sentinel combo with a halberd or the like sometimes ends up in the 'yes it is an optimal build, but people will roll their eyes if I bring one out' territory.
To be fair, it's obvious Glaives as we know them don't exist on Krull. Or Thra, for that matter:
It's also a word that just sounds cool and I can imagine it might have been used even if, instead of a completely different weapon, it instead meant something else entirely.
Trident is somehow worse than javelin, yet it is martial weapon and javelin is simple. Shouldn't trident be d8 damage?
Personally, I think trident should be rolled up into one-handable spears (and then they systematically decide what they want to do with spears in general*).
*1h spear with PAM and shield is a way to make what IRL was a perfectly good military weapon viable for a martial character to regularly use, but it seems like the most convoluted and unsatisfactory way of doing it.
Clubs and greatclubs also have a PC role of when you are escaping being a slave/prisoner and need to come up with improvised weapons.
I think that falls into what was meant by not a pc weapon -- not one you choose for your character when equipping yourself (once the various cost differences between the weapons becomes trivial), much less making a build around. All weapons and armor work well for the role of things you use when nothing else is available (same reason for padded armor and scale mail and such).
Okay okay, barbarians don’t generally use bows but my point remains the same: if each class didn’t have such a large pool of weapons to choose from maybe lesser picked weapons might get more use if they’re the only tool to fit a particular role
I mean, it certainly is true that back in TSR A/D&D days, clerics could only use a subset of weapons and people found ways to make that work. At the same time, 5e has so many workarounds (multiclassing, shillelagh, cantrips instead) that most of the people who might get squeezed into a narrow subset will instead simply not use weapons (or, like shillelagh, not use their normal stats). Add to this that most non-(life/war/tempest) cleric characters without martial proficiency will likely have a 8-10 str and as high a Dex as they can, and the incentivization structure again goes every which-way but where you intended.

Whip is fantastic for a dex paladin, since you’re damage comes from smites.

Anyways I voted for seven of those, so I suppose my experience is “most of the weapons come up sometimes.”

Stormonu

Legend
Trident got use in my recent campaign, due to the inclusion of Wave in the player's backstory and adventures.

BTW, I made tridents deal 2d4 damage (1-3 prongs hitting, dealing ~1d3 each essentially), with it being versatile (3d4).

Remove ads