D&D 5E Have you ever seen these weapons used regularly by PC's in a D&D 5e game?

Select any that apply:

• Club (w/o Shillelagh)

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • Greatclub (w/o Shillelagh)

Votes: 14 11.6%
  • Light Hammer

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • Sickle

• Dart

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • Sling

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • Greataxe

Votes: 98 81.0%
  • Lance

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • Scimitar

Votes: 74 61.2%
  • Trident

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • War Pick

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Whip

Votes: 35 28.9%
  • Flail

Votes: 21 17.4%
  • Halberd

Votes: 45 37.2%
  • Blowgun

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Net

• Glaive

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • Pike

Votes: 7 5.8%

Undrave

Legend
Not every other edition, but I understand why you might not count 4e, which let just about attribute steal Strength's thunder.
I dunno if I would call it stealing its thunder, but STR didn't feel as unimportant in 4e. For one thing, you could use it for your FORT defence.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I dunno if I would call it stealing its thunder, but STR didn't feel as unimportant in 4e. For one thing, you could use it for your FORT defence.
Sure, but just about any ability score could be used for melee attacks (technically all could be with a Feat, but they nerfed the Feat at some point). You could play a Charisma Paladin with Virtuous Strike and still wear Plate and a Shield without any real investment in Strength (10 got you 100 lbs. of carry capacity).

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
The glaive is my favorite weapon on the list, and was a staple for my Hexblade warlock. Our barbarian makes heavy use of the greataxe, pun intended, and every time I play a dwarf it is armed with a war pick.

The weapon that I've seen used more than all others combined, though, is the rapier. I'd house-rule that flimsy weapon into oblivion if my players would let me get away with it.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Sickle 1: character was a Folk Hero and came from a farming background. When danger threatened, just picked up the nearest farm implement and answered the call.

Sickle 2: cleric of a homebrew god, who was partially designed with "not like all the other gods" in mind - including an off-beat Holy Weapon.

Paladin with a Whip - was still learning 5e combat rules and thought he could get AoO at range. Wanted to block alleyways and city streets, not just doors.

Undrave

Legend
I’m pretty sure I had thrown hammers before but it’s really weird they’re not the same damage as hand axes. Especially since an axe can have utility out in wilderness that an hammer might not have. I’ve seen a rogue use a sickle but it’s possible we missed the Sickle wasn’t a finesse weapon… which it should, all things considered. It makes a good kama analogue for that ninja flavor. I’ve seen the glaive used for a PAM Paladin build and Greataxe by a Barbarian (sometimes either of them would go Sword and and Board because they had found a magical longsword). I once had an Oath of the Ancient Paladin who used a flail. The head was just a big rock he got from a mountain sacred to his order as part of some sort of rite. Just a chunk of untreated iron ore at the end of a chain :p (in retrospect, I should have went with a great club or something).

Also, in one AL game, we found a Whip of Alarm, which ended up with my Fighter, but I never actually used it as a weapon. It was on my person but that’s it, so I didn’t vote for it. The whip would be WAY better, and used more often, if it natively allowed you to grapple at reach.

Remove ads