D&D 5E Have you ever seen these weapons used regularly by PC's in a D&D 5e game?

Select any that apply:

• Club (w/o Shillelagh)

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • Greatclub (w/o Shillelagh)

Votes: 14 11.6%
  • Light Hammer

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • Sickle

• Dart

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • Sling

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • Greataxe

Votes: 98 81.0%
  • Lance

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • Scimitar

Votes: 74 61.2%
  • Trident

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • War Pick

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Whip

Votes: 35 28.9%
  • Flail

Votes: 21 17.4%
  • Halberd

Votes: 45 37.2%
  • Blowgun

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Net

• Glaive

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • Pike

Votes: 7 5.8%

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Looking at the 5e weapon list, there are some weapons that either don't seem to have much purpose, or are unusual. I'm curious if these are used more than I think.

I made an exception for clubs and greatclubs because of shillelagh users, however.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I guess I should have expected greataxe to be used, even if the greatsword is strictly better. People love axes. Scimitars though? That's a pretty narrow niche "I need a finesse, light, slashing weapon"!

well, I’ve seen enough great axes and scimitars and tridents that they aren’t unusual.

Nets and whips I’ve seen, but are far more niche.

I’ve seen the occasional blowgun and halberd. Lance for a cavalier.

….the rest I’m drawing a blank on in 5e play.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I guess I should have expected greataxe to be used, even if the greatsword is strictly better. People love axes. Scimitars though? That's a pretty narrow niche "I need a finesse, light, slashing weapon"!
Greatsword is not strictly better. It has lower average damage, but it’s more likely to roll results above (or below) the average, which can be desirable. If nothing else, Greataxes are better for half-orcs since Savage Attacks only re-rolls one of the weapon’s damage dice.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Greatsword is not strictly better. It has lower average damage, but it’s more likely to roll results above (or below) the average, which can be desirable. If nothing else, Greataxes are better for half-orcs since Savage Attacks only re-rolls one of the weapon’s damage dice.
Huh? The average damage of 2d6 is 7, while 1d12 is 6.5?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Huh? The average damage of 2d6 is 7, while 1d12 is 6.5?
Yes, and the first sentence of the post you just quoted was that the average damage (of a greataxe) is lower (than that of a greatsword). But I can see how that was unclear from my phrasing. Point is, average damage is only one part of the story. There are reasons one might prefer the flatter distribution of 1d12 over the slightly higher average of 2d6.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases