D&D 5E Have you played or DMed a single-race campaign? What was it like?

Afrodyte

Explorer
Has anyone played a game where the PCs started out as the same non-human race? Was it by chance or by design? What are some observations you had about the game?

Alternatively, have you played in a game where all the PCs were from the same village or neighborhood? What was that like?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Yes, I've played in some games where we were all githyanki, gnomes, drow, pixies, and vashar. It was by design. The games were fun. Same-race creates a shared context that builds ties between the characters and gives them a reason to work together, even when inherently evil. It also reinforces whatever theme we're going for.

I've also played in games where the PCs are all from the same place. A streets of Sharn campaign comes to mind. Similarly, it just provides some solid ties between the characters.

Notably, you don't need a same-race campaign to build strong character ties, but it lends itself to it in my experience.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
All dwarves. By design, the game was set exploring the ruins under a dwarven kingdom. It was a fun game. The fact that we all had the same core set of racial abilities aided the conceit of the setting (we all had darkvision and resistance to poison, frex) so that worked quickly to put those things into the background and let us focus on the game.

I’ve always wanted to give this a try, but most of the time I’ve backed away because I fear that my players would just end up chafing at the restrictions.

To those that have done so - did you go for long-haul campaigns, or shorter efforts? I can see an all-Dwarves game in particular being really great fun for a single, three month long, storyline about underground adventures, but I would hesitate to introduce it for a 1-20 campaign like I am currently running.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
To those that have done so - did you go for long-haul campaigns, or shorter efforts? I can see an all-Dwarves game in particular being really great fun for a single, three month long, storyline about underground adventures, but I would hesitate to introduce it for a 1-20 campaign like I am currently running.

We did these for short runs, typically a single big adventure. Though I don't really do campaigns that last longer than 6 months anymore.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!

Mostly short runs, I'd say. The reason is that the restriction enforces a certain aesthetic to the game, usually to explore a specific plot device or concept. Rarely is that concept worth more than a short run, because it get's explored quickly during that time do to the enforced focus, but it's possible that it could stretch longer. It's be the exceptional concept, though, that did that.

delericho

Legend
Twice, once by design and once by chance - one started from "everyone's a Human Fighter" (yeah, I know the OP specified non-human...), while the other just happened to see all three players choose Dwarves. It worked fine both times, though I think I'd be reluctant to enforce a single-race choice in future - these days I'm happy if the players choose to go that way, but I'm disinclined to limit their choices so much.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases