• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heal Check question

Hurricane

First Post
Maybe I'm weird, but when I can't find something in the rules, I generally conclude that it's not in the rules. Especially when there's really only one place that particular something would be (like, for example, in the Heal skill description).

But I'm probably weird like that.

Maybe I'm weird, but when I play for years using a rule that I thought was in the books then add a new player who challenges that rule, so we look it up and cannot find it, with all the books out there, I think, "maybe I just cannot remember where it is".

Maybe it is in one of the skill variant descriptions for a book I do not have?

But I'm probably weird like that.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
In RAW, regarding D&D 3.5 or 3.0, failing a Heal check has no penalty.

Some d20 "sub-systems" have such a rule as you mention, [MENTION=20063]Hurricane[/MENTION], but not D&D itself. Personally, I would never use the rule. While the argument could be made that someone unskilled in Heal would stand a very good chance of making the situation worse, I find such things decidedly un-fun and discourage players from selflessly putting themselves in danger to try to save a dying ally.

[sblock=Aside]I have the same feeling for the 4e rule that applies a penalty if you fail to use the Aid Another action. That just discourages players from working together. I prefer to encourage players to work together by giving the possibility of bonuses, not the possibility of penalties.[/sblock]

Hurricane

First Post
Some d20 "sub-systems" have such a rule as you mention, [MENTION=20063]Hurricane[/MENTION], but not D&D itself. Personally, I would never use the rule. While the argument could be made that someone unskilled in Heal would stand a very good chance of making the situation worse, I find such things decidedly un-fun and discourage players from selflessly putting themselves in danger to try to save a dying ally.

I did not say I would use it, just thought it was a rule. I guess somewhere back in the day some GM used it as a house rule and I never looked it up to check.

Cheers

Elf Witch

First Post
Why would it stop PCs from helping if they know that if they don't help the PC is going to die anyway?

We have been using this rule for 10 years and our group has changed over the years and it has never stopped anyone from taking a chance to heal a dying a person.

We use it because it makes sense if you have no clue what you are doing then trying to pour a potion down an unconscious person's throat can be dangerous.

Our group does not see it as unfun but then we like a little gritty realism in our games.

nijineko

Explorer
the skill rules do not even address what happens on a failure, except on an individual basis within each skill, and not all of those either. heal is one where the only thing regarding failure is in the 'try again' section, where it says that you may try again, assuming that the patient is still alive. ^^ sounds like a dm call.

Remove ads