D&D 5E Healing after 29 Oct playtest

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Cybit said:
Leave it at, what happens when those "jerks" end up being part of your target demographic?

If you can't ignore 'em, you're only option is to try and help them adapt. Enlighten 'em. Show them why it's a good idea -- and no threat to them -- to embrace diversity.

That's hard, but it's harder to sell to a market of people who want millions of development dollars devoted to their game and their game alone.

Cybit

First Post
If you can't ignore 'em, you're only option is to try and help them adapt. Enlighten 'em. Show them why it's a good idea -- and no threat to them -- to embrace diversity.

That's hard, but it's harder to sell to a market of people who want millions of development dollars devoted to their game and their game alone.

Why do you think D&D Next is about modularity? :)

If the EN World boards are representative, I do not think it is possible to accomplish what you are advocating, though. Even on these boards, it is nigh impossible to get people to back down from their "stance". Heaven help the Paizo / WotC boards.

darjr

I crit!
Why do you think D&D Next is about modularity? :)

If the EN World boards are representative, I do not think it is possible to accomplish what you are advocating, though. Even on these boards, it is nigh impossible to get people to back down from their "stance". Heaven help the Paizo / WotC boards.

It's about modularity by writ of the designers.

"...we’re absolutely dedicated to making D&D Next a modular game, one rooted in the traditions of tabletop RPG play while poised to blaze a trail toward a vibrant, exciting future."
--Mike Mearls

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/20120425a

Cybit

First Post
It's about modularity by writ of the designers.

"...we’re absolutely dedicated to making D&D Next a modular game, one rooted in the traditions of tabletop RPG play while poised to blaze a trail toward a vibrant, exciting future."
--Mike Mearls

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/20120425a

I would surmise that the reason they went towards a modular game was to attempt to make as diverse of a system as possible. Being able to please those who are happy with what they have and also being able to come up with new mechanics for those wishing to push the bounds.

That said; this is now an emotional / self-esteem / validation topic for most folks, so WotC's kind of screwed.

Aloïsius

First Post
I would like to have a wound system in 5e. Not something that would happen often, but something that add (by removing some...) flesh to the story and the character. Think about Luke losing his arm in an epic fight against his fater. Think about Hannibal losing his eye in a battle. That should be possible to emulate in D&D.

Those kinds of wound should neither be dealt nor be healed easily in combat (they could be used as alternative to killing the PC...), in order to not have the absurd image of a hero littering the battlefield with his lost arms and legs... When you are gravely wounded, you are incapacitated, and then your ally have to heal you. At low level, you will probably have a lasting scar (with eventually a penalty that will last until you gain a level and accommodate to your handicap). At mid level, the magic healing will probably avoid you the scar, but will require some kind of strenuous or costful ritual. At high level, even old scar can be removed, unless they have been caused by something very powerful (think Morgoth or Vecna).

D&D characters have been amorphous regenerating amoebas for too long. I want them to be human, demi-human or even immortals if need be, but to be made of flesh.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
If I were to play at amateur brand analyst for a sec...

[sblock]
What we have here is a problem of tribalism. Arbitrary lines have been drawn in the sand and people put themselves into mutually exclusive camps based on their "tribe." This is part of what creates the animosity. The Hatfields and the McCoys eventually just feuded because they'd been feuding -- it's a self-perpetuating process.

Tribes form out of a need for self-protection, when they feel threatened (accurate or not) from an outside force. Both sides of the edition divide feel threatened by each other, and so if they allow any leeway toward the other side, suddenly, their side "loses." "5e can't have ADEU, then I lose!" / "5e can't have Vancian magic, then I lose!"

So you then need to ask: how do we overcome tribalism? How do we overcome this fear of losing?

My first response is to take the issue off the table entirely by making sure that if someone wants a game that is exactly like 4e, then they can pay WotC to give them 4e rules.

The idea of selling PDFs from earlier editions is good. They should include 4e stuff in this, too. This shows that WotC is not interested in excluding anybody from the game. Re-publishing the 1e and 3e books is a good step toward this. I'd even advocate for them to license everything pre-5e as OGL, and, if they're already setting up a market to sell PDFs, why not make it a market that folks can self-publish on? Make your creation, make your label, slap it up into WotC's version of the "Apple Store," and sell it. WotC gets a cut of sales. You don't have to sell your 1e adventure on the WotC store, but if you do, your audience will be potentially huge.

You could even sell subscription models: pay WotC $20/month and you'll have access to the database of every official D&D book ever published. Maybe some online tools, too. You can download individual books for maybe $30 a pop or so instead, if you want to do that. Yeah, it's a bit of an over-charge, but that's why you have the subscription model, too: want to own, it'll be pricey, want to rent, it'll be cheap.

This isn't about 5e per se. This is about setting the stage for 5e by taking all the extremists off the table and giving them what they want: their own game, with new content for it, sold to them. Or just a collection. This removes the need for tribalism by essentially creating abundant resources. No longer do you need to worry about "losing" your favorite edition, now you always have it, and if you want new content for it...write it! Sell it! If it sells to the four people at your table, AWESOME!

It requires some infrastructure, but honestly a lot of the moving parts are already there. It benefits massively by making the resource of "rules for your preferred game" abundant. You don't have to take away from an ADEU controller fan to get your Vancian wizard, and you don't have to take away from a Vancian fan to get your ADEU controller. You both can have the game content you want.

When people say, "5e can do whatever it wants, I have enough 2e material from the WotC PDF store to last me forever," that's a good thing. That's one battle you don't have to fight. You don't HAVE to get the 2e diehard on board. If all they ever want is 2e, and you can set up a system that can profit from that (OGL it, sell PDFs for it, call it awesome), you don't care if they hate that 5e doesn't have THAC0.

5e can then be free to be the Edition To Rule Them All by being modular, and being forward-looking. It could be seen as The Final Edition, something designed to be modular because it is designed to be evergreen, changing, and self-contradictory. And when people get a little bored of their One True Way, or a little curious about this "advantage" mechanic, maybe they'll check it out.

In the matter of healing the edition rift, a new edition shouldn't be one of the first things you try. It should be one of the last things you try. One doesn't go climbing a mountain with two broken hands -- each hand will work against the other. Heal the hands, at least mostly, and then try the climb -- it'll probably go better.
[/sblock]

I don't know how much of that is viable, but I DO know that the need for each "tribe" to define 5e as "theirs" would be a lot less potent if they already had something they could call "theirs" that had some continual support. A compendium, A PDF marketplace, and an OGL D&D would address those concerns quite nicely. The reason the fight is so tumultuous is because people are SCARED, and with reason. WotC has had a better record of saying "tough noogies" to people who didn't like their direction than they have had of saying "Okay. Lets help you do it your way." The only way they're going to be able to actively support every edition is if they let other people do it instead, and just serve as a middle-man, and that's the only way they'll get Edition Warriors to leave 5e alone.

Remove ads