D&D 5E Heat Metal Spell. Unfair to Heavy Armor Wearers?

jgsugden

Legend
My experience as well. The vast majority of opponents are humanoid, heat metal was used frequently...
In some campaigns that may be true. In most, such as those that follow adventure paths ....

Talk a look at Lost Mine of Phandelver and look at the chapter where the PCs will attain level 3.

Wandering monsters? 1 of 8 options have metal armor.

Fixed encounters? There are 5 separate locations with some of them having multiple encounters within them. 4 of them have no foes in metal armor in any of their encounters. In the 5th there are 10 encounters and only 3 have metal armor. A few more have shields that can be doffed in a round.

The next chapter when they're level 4? There are no encounters with any metal armors, anywhere.

Oofta

Legend
In some campaigns that may be true. In most, such as those that follow adventure paths ....

Talk a look at Lost Mine of Phandelver and look at the chapter where the PCs will attain level 3.

Wandering monsters? 1 of 8 options have metal armor.

Fixed encounters? There are 5 separate locations with some of them having multiple encounters within them. 4 of them have no foes in metal armor in any of their encounters. In the 5th there are 10 encounters and only 3 have metal armor. A few more have shields that can be doffed in a round.

The next chapter when they're level 4? There are no encounters with any metal armors, anywhere.
I don't use modules, but I've seen it be an issue in AL campaigns.

If your answer to a spell is to never allow usage of that spell, it's an issue.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I want my plate mail wearing fighters to be worried about pissing off druids and being roasted alive.

...from the druids point of view, its their own fault...wear less armor, be one with the world.

and no, I dont want to discuss druids wearing metal armor as a tangent... :D

Oofta

Legend
I think if I were an armored fighter and a Druid cast Heat Metal on me, my main priority would be to grapple the Druid so they’d get that 2d8 same as me, we‘ll see who lasts longer…
Too bad that you'll be at disadvantage on all those grapple checks. Assuming the druid didn't just move further away than you can get with a move action, of course.

Has Ray of Frost as a possible counter been mentioned?
yes I said it in response to the insulting "Do your players not think or try things" argument

one player asked if they could deal 2dX cold reduce the melee character speed and negate he 2d8 fire and disadvantage...

it was part of what made us go to MAD with it... when your best answer is for the caster to waste a turn to end negate the effect that is pretty strong fro 2nd level spell

Now you need to reread what they wrote. The part I was responding to was their certainty that if the spell targeted light or no armor characters instead, there would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth. In context it reads very clearly as the usual "fighters get the shaft" argument that some people lean on any time magic is discussed.
except it is true... imagin a spell that didn't have a save delt 2d8 damage every round AND gave disadvantage targeting casters... it would force concentration checks and be seen as "too much"

I do think it would be an intresting way to bring "Tensor's Tickler" from 2e into 5e though

Remove ads