D&D 5E Heat Metal Spell. Unfair to Heavy Armor Wearers?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well yes, but if you look at the spell, it says "Range: 10 feet".
Sure, but that's talking about the first paragraph.

"This spell instantly transports you and up to eight willing creatures of your choice that you can see within range, or a single object that you can see within range, to a destination you select."

Below is the range of the teleportation.

"The destination you choose must be known to you, and it must be on the same plane of existence as you.

The various settings are now all on the same plane. It's not infinite prime planes anymore, but infinite worlds on the prime plane.

Edit: Banishment doesn't work. It is also concentration. Forcecage, though...

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Well yes, but if you look at the spell, it says "Range: 10 feet".

Also, let's be honest here. If I hit you with heat metal and Teleport away, it wasn't the heat metal that sealed your fate, it was the seventh level spell slot. And surely there's a better way to kill someone with a seventh level spell slot...

Although having said that, heat metal and forcecage is fairly sadistic. Ooh, or banishment!

What if you have your wizard/cleric friend banish you, voluntarily failing the saving throw?

I'm curious as to your reasoning that barbarians wouldn't be martial warriors. Monks I can see since they essentially use a form of magic.
of the class features that don't mention magic or mystic abilities... I want to say that if you avoid subclasses you can keep to martial abilities (depending on how you define rage but I do think it is okay for martial) at least those up through 9th I can think of you are okay.
However as soon as you pick a subclass you get 2 in PHB, the one everyone says sucks(and I have not seen in play or know so maybe it is) and the totem warrior... totems might just be fluff but it appears to be pretty mystic especially as you level.
you start with a weak ritual caster (I bet most forget about it)

Yours is a path that seeks attunement with the natural world, giving you a kinship with beasts. At 3rd level when you adopt this path, you gain the ability to cast the Beast Sense and Speak with Animals spells, but only as rituals

then you go to magic of taking on the totem itself

you choose a totem spirit and gain its feature. You must make or acquire a physical totem object – an amulet or similar adornment – that incorporates fur or feathers, claws, teeth, or bones of the totem animal. At your option, you also gain minor physical attributes that are reminiscent of your totem spirit. For example, if you have a bear totem spirit, you might be unusually hairy and thick-skinned, or if your totem is the eagle, your eyes turn bright yello

Now IT MAY JUST be me... but it sounds more like a druid/shaman then a martial character.

as you go to other supplements you get battle rager (That one is pretty martial) Storm herald (so you can play thor) wild magic and zealot all of them doing mystic magic stuff

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
of the class features that don't mention magic or mystic abilities... I want to say that if you avoid subclasses you can keep to martial abilities (depending on how you define rage but I do think it is okay for martial) at least those up through 9th I can think of you are okay.
However as soon as you pick a subclass you get 2 in PHB, the one everyone says sucks(and I have not seen in play or know so maybe it is) and the totem warrior... totems might just be fluff but it appears to be pretty mystic especially as you level.
you start with a weak ritual caster (I bet most forget about it)

then you go to magic of taking on the totem itself

Now IT MAY JUST be me... but it sounds more like a druid/shaman then a martial character.

as you go to other supplements you get battle rager (That one is pretty martial) Storm herald (so you can play thor) wild magic and zealot all of them doing mystic magic stuff
Yeah. When I look at classes for martial fighting, I don't look at the magic subclasses. Every class has those. Barbarian has Berserker and Battlerager and that's enough for me. :)

Yeah. When I look at classes for martial fighting, I don't look at the magic subclasses. Every class has those. Barbarian has Berserker and Battlerager and that's enough for me. :)
2 is enough? I disagree, I mean half or more of a class has mystic/magic then I think that is too many.... but if it's close I could see it... some mystic subclasses are okay, but not most.

Dausuul

Legend
What if you have your wizard/cleric friend banish you, voluntarily failing the saving throw?
This only works if you're from another plane. Otherwise, you go to a "banishment plane" where you are incapacitated, ending your concentration. Moreover, even if you are from another plane, all you're accomplishing is to add a second layer of concentration--that of your wizard/cleric friend--to break.

(And, strictly speaking, there is no general rule in 5E allowing you to voluntarily fail a save.)

A better solution would be dimension door followed by Wild Shape into some unobtrusive critter.

Last edited:

Remove ads