Heavy Armor Master OR Toughness

Warpiglet

Adventurer
If you could have only one of these two feats, would it be heavy armor master OR toughness?

In the right situation, HAM can give and unlimited number of free HPs. In some cases, it can be bypassed (e.g. spell, falling, magic weapons). Conversely, toughness does not give any increase to an ability...

Opinions and argument welcome. Just thinking ahead about a hexblade/sorcerer WHO does not spam EB...but rather fights with spiritual weapon, a greatsword and one day, spiritual guardians.

(My other idea is to go fiend patron with dragon sorcerer and choose red dragon with a goal of quickening Greenflame blade with bonus fire damage. I would be taking moderately armored and weapon master in this latter case as I am only looking to go two levels of warlock. Eventually I would look to elemental adept for fire as well. No EB spam in this case either, but rather other thematic invocations).

Thanks in advance!

Sacrosanct

Legend
I had a halfling fighter and I chose heavy armor mastery. We don't play much beyond level 10, so the the lower levels is where it has the biggest advantage, IMO. Especially at tier 1, where that extra damage sponge really gave a lot more staying power.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I had a halfling fighter and I chose heavy armor mastery. We don't play much beyond level 10, so the the lower levels is where it has the biggest advantage, IMO. Especially at tier 1, where that extra damage sponge really gave a lot more staying power.

that is a funny visual--trying to hit a hard moving rock!

We have a cleric in the game I am running with HAM. He is maxing his AC and when hit can really soak it up. He is not a big damage dealer yet so I think I rightfully and diverting some attention on other more threatening characters. But for a round or two there are lots of misses and soaked damage. I then have people start grappling etc. but still a hard nut to crack.

In my current case, I am thinking about higher hit points for an up front warlock and also the use of armor of agathys...will see if I can have some staying power up front that way.

So starting hexblade I would take variant human with heavily armored and at next feat go HAM. We shall see...

Oofta

Legend
It by campaign and even encounter. Do you take a few big hits or a lot of little ones? I can't answer that for you.

What I can tell you is that I would choose toughness because I'm lazy. I don't want to have to deal with DR.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
If it is a character wearing heavy armor and with an odd str number - Heavy Armor Master every time.

If they are in medium armor, or don't need the Str point...then Toughness.

I will say that I have a Ftr 1/Hexblade X that took the Heavy Armor Master feat - they had a 14 str, the feat put them up to 15 so they could move normally in the Heavy armor and the DR 3/magic synergizes well with Armor of Agathys and Blade Ward.

Shiroiken

Legend
It's level dependant, since HAM doesn't change. You should compare the number of HP you get from Toughness against the assumed number of times you'll get hit per day that HAM activates

Lv 1 +2 HP <1 HAM Hit
Lv 2 +4 HP <2 HAM Hits
Lv 3 +6 HP =2 HAM Hits
Lv 4 +8 HP <3 HAM Hits
Lv 5 +10 HP <4 HAM Hits
Lv 6 +12 HP =4 HAM Hits
Lv 7 +14 HP <5 HAM Hits
Lv 8 +16 HP <6 HAM Hits
Lv 9 +18 HP =6 HAM Hits
Lv 10 +20 HP <7 HAM Hit
Lv 11 +22 HP <8 HAM Hits
Lv 12 +24 HP =8 HAM Hits
Lv 13 +26 HP <9 HAM Hits
Lv 14 +28 HP <10 HAM Hits
Lv 15 +30 HP =10 HAM Hits
Lv 16 +32 HP <11 HAM Hits
Lv 17 +34 HP <12 HAM Hits
Lv 18 +36 HP =12 HAM Hits
Lv 19 +38 HP <13 HAM Hits
Lv 20 +40 HP < 14 HAM Hits

As we can see, HAM is best at lower levels, and then tapers off in the mid to higher levels. Generally speaking, I'd recommend HAM up to level 8. After level 8, you're cost:benefit ratio becomes lower, and Toughness becomes more viable. If the +1 ASI from HAM would increase your Con to an even modifier (and your DM allows retroactive HP), then I would say that up to level 10 would be an acceptable gain for HAM, but that's the furthest I'd recommend.

Honestly, if HP is your goal, then I'd start with HAM, increase Con to max, then take toughness at level 12+. You'll be an undying machine :)

Bardbarian

First Post
HAM also does not play well with resistances. If you think that gaining resistances is probably then HAM is less valuable. this is a niche situation with certain classes like war cleric, bear heavy armor barbarian, or Fiend warlock as notable examples. Generally because of the broader application of HP I choose toughness unless I have a very specific character in mind.

ccs

41st lv DM
Picking in a vacuum I'd go with Tough. It's always on & available to any character.
HAM on the other hand requires my being prof in, & wearing, heavy armor. Heavy armor can be taken away, not available, or bypassed in assorted ways.

Now if I were picking based on a specific character my choice, as well as reasons for that choice, might be different. It'd completely depend upon the character I'm envisioning.

Remove ads