• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hellish Rebuke Question

twilsemail

First Post
It doesn't works - check out the DM's paragraph about the bag-of-rats.

Check out the power's description. The trigger is "If you take damage before the end of your next turn" not "If an enemy damages you." This would also key off the wizard casting Scorching Burst and hitting you, or would you rule against that?

FireLance

Legend
Would you allow the extra damage if:

1. The warlock moves and falls into a hidden pit?
2. The warlock deliberately falls into a pit to take damage?
3. An enemy pulls, pushes or slides the warlock into an allied wizard's cloud of daggers?
4. The warlock deliberately walks into an allied wizard's cloud of daggers?

You can rule that the damage taken by the warlock has to be dealt by an enemy or caused by an enemy's action if you wish, but it seems to me that the power makes no such distinction, and the bag of rats argument technically applies to when you gain an effect from hitting a target or reducing its hit points to 0. I suppose you could argue that effects that occur when you take damage is a subset of gaining an effect from hitting a target, but that seems a little contrived to me.

Vomax

First Post
I Hellish Rebuked an ettin the other day, then used Spider Climb to scuttle up to the roof of the cave we were in and let go to trigger the extra damage. Everyone got a laugh out of it and I did a little extra damage, but it's not something I plan on doing all the time.

As for stabbing yourself, the Wizard's Blood Mage paragon path has the damage for a self-inflicted minor wound at 1d10.

HeirToPendragon

First Post
One of my characters wants that tattoo that was part of the preview from AV2.

However, he plans on using it in the effect that every day at waking he will start throwing himself from rooftops in order use up some of his healing surges and boost his power.

I told him I refused on the account of cheese.

This sounds similar.

twilsemail

First Post
While I agree that this could be done in the name of cheese. It's also flavorfully appropriate to the Warlock. Cutting yourself as a sacrifice to your dark mentor isn't out of character for them. Make sure you make it a standard action that does full damage.

Our game's Warlock wields a Fullblade. He does a good deal of damage to himself if he wants to use this exploit.

twilsemail

First Post
One of my characters wants that tattoo that was part of the preview from AV2.

[...]

I told him I refused on the account of cheese.

I'm amused by the thought of one of your characters making this demand. I can just see someone arguing with a mini about it. :D

I think you meant players, though thanks for the amusing image.

*This post is supposed to be in an amused tone, not anything biting or angry or anything. I often come off abrasive and am trying to avoid that*

Tale

First Post
While I agree that this could be done in the name of cheese. It's also flavorfully appropriate to the Warlock. Cutting yourself as a sacrifice to your dark mentor isn't out of character for them. Make sure you make it a standard action that does full damage.

Our game's Warlock wields a Fullblade. He does a good deal of damage to himself if he wants to use this exploit.
Making it a standard action is a pretty reasonable thing. Then you can see whether or not they're just trying to maximize damage or they're actually trying something flavorful. Because, as a standard action, it's weaker than simply attacking again.

You could also use Bloodclaw weapons from the AV. I've seen a Warforged Infernalock-multi-Swordmage with Intelligent Blademaster and some feats / other magic items to improve his charge attacks, so he would often charge his cursed targets because it was more damage at about the same accuracy. Combined with HR, that could be a lot of fun.

HeirToPendragon

First Post
I'm amused by the thought of one of your characters making this demand. I can just see someone arguing with a mini about it. :D

I think you meant players, though thanks for the amusing image.

*This post is supposed to be in an amused tone, not anything biting or angry or anything. I often come off abrasive and am trying to avoid that*

Me: "I'm not letting you have it"
Mini: "But I WWWWAAAAAANNNNTTTT it"
Me: "I'm in control here and you're not getting it"
Mini: "Well I'm gonna throw myself off the roofs anyway, you might as well give me a benefit from it!"

Danceofmasks

First Post
On the issue of bloodclaw weapons, I reckon it works, though I've seen someone rule that it only works if you actually make a melee attack, and only with that particular bloodclaw weapon.
Though I'm not sure you can parse that to be consistent with RAW, it's a fair decision.

Remove ads