Hello, I am lawyer with a PSA: almost everyone is wrong about the OGL and SRD. Clearing up confusion.

CapnZapp

Legend
Unless WotC makes an offical statement in person (not some other 'we' stuff) that justifies further trust, the damage is done. I can't imagine betting my company on it in this situation. The trust is gone.
Yep.

And there's very little they can say (that justifies further trust). Since we no longer believe in them.

Again, just about the only thing I can envision returning some trust, is if WotC would hand over the stewardship of the OGL to an open source entity, making it an ironclad deal that WotC would honor the OGL also for the future D&D One, and ensuring they could never renege on any deal in the future, no matter what.

That could bring back the trust.

Let that sink in. Doesn't seem likely, does it?

Eh, you might want to look around you. You're the only one still in the play garden - everybody else has left.

Nobody is willing to risk the future of their plans on what a court is saying - especially since WotC has so clearly shown itself to be hostile to the idea to continued peaceful coexistence; even if the courts decide clearly against WotC, that victory would still be pyrrhic.

It's dead, Jim.

You have a very fixed opinion that trust and harmony is required for profitable business relationships that is absolutely counter to empiric reality. That fixedness is matched by your utter assurance that everyone is behaving as you believe you think they are, coupled with the belief that a failed legal challenge would net no beneficial to 3PP results.

You do realize that I'm actually an OGL publisher with 20 years of products produced under the OGL, right? That I'm not just talking to be talking about the hobby that I love, but someone who has actually supported himself by publishing OGL material for the past 20 years, and someone who is forming opinions and making decisions based upon fiscal and legal realities?

And with that statement, I'll bow out of responding to you about this anymore. You have repeatedly said what you believe, and I have repeatedly said that you are wrong in that belief. There will be no budging on my end until something actually changes in the status of the OGL, so it's a pointless conversation.

joe b

mamba

Legend
So perpetual and irrevocable have meanings in law. Deauthorize does not. If it were irrevocable, WotC would not go to court because deauthorize = attempt to revoke
we keep going in circles, but I prefer not to, so this is my last reply, unless you find a new argument.

In 2000 perpetual meant irrevocable as well, WotC knows that, there is good precedent too, WotC knows that as well. This is why they do not even attempt to revoke it. Instead they go for something with no established meaning that would achieve effectively the same.
Their chances are much better (this is a relative term, imo they are still pretty bad) trying this than trying to actually revoke it.

As I said, this is not about the merit of the case, it is about scaring everyone away. If no one dares calling your ‘bluff’, then you win the pot.

CapnZapp

Legend
You do realize that I'm actually an OGL publisher with 20 years of products produced under the OGL, right?
Please don't pull the "my opinions are more valuable than yours" card. After all, I'm sure the Hasbro executives have an even greater salary than you do, and look at where that got them... :whistle:

Thank you and good day.

CapnZapp

Legend
As I said, this is not about the merit of the case, it is about scaring everyone away. If no one dares calling your ‘bluff’, then you win the pot.
And if everybody has fled your play garden long before any bluff is actually called and resolved, the merits of the case becomes irrelevant.

PS. Not sure I would characterize this clusterfrak as "winning" the pot though... :)

If WotC wanted to alienate its customers and provide its competition a year and a half's notice to come up with shiny new competitors right at the time D&D is released, then yes, they couldn't have pulled a wiser move.

But something tells me that's not what they wanted to accomplish...

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
So perpetual and irrevocable have meanings in law. Deauthorize does not. If it were irrevocable, WotC would not go to court because deauthorize = attempt to revoke. Going in front of a judge and attempting to revoke an irrevocable license by saying you're deauthorizing it instead would probably get you laughed out of court.

"Really officer, I wasn't speeding. I was streaking down the street."

It took me a while to remember, but I got there!

"Perpetual, irrevocable, perpetually and irrevocably authorized, immortal, and eternal." ?

Please don't pull the "my opinions are more valuable than yours" card. After all, I'm sure the Hasbro executives have an even greater salary than you do, and look at where that got them... :whistle:

Thank you and good day.

It is far from an appeal to authority or "pulling something" to say that I have some knowledge about what I've been doing for 20 years and the people that I've been working and associating with over that period.

It's similar to when one of the lawyers here says something regarding the law: one may not agree with what they say, but one understands it is at least an informed opinion, as opposed to just an opinion. Even if one doesn't agree.

joe b.

Please don't pull the "my opinions are more valuable than yours" card.
Please stop arguing with publishers about what publishers are going to do. At the very least, if you believe your opinion is valuable, advise them on what they should do. Your repetition of "the trust is gone" and insistence that you know what publishers are going to do is incredibly tiresome. :whistle:

Remove ads