Help build an Axe Thrower.

Demoquin

First Post
I want to make an effective Axe thrower ( as i can go melee/ ranged) . What feats and or classes do you think would be essential. I am kind of partial for some levels of Ranger as the group doesnt have a reliable tracker or survival character. Any of the Core 3 books is acceptable and anything else would have to be approved of the DM ( i think C Adv and CW are ok)

Start at lvl 8 with minimal gear, nothing too extravagant. I ahvent rolled statsyet so assume away.

javcs

First Post
Well, Master Thrower, from CWar, and the throw anything feat, also from CWar, can go a long way towards chucking axes like they're daggers.

Also of interest may be the brutal throw (I think is what it's called) that lets you use your strength bonus on thrown weapon attack rolls, it's in either CAdv or CWar.

Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Dwarven Waraxe).

Amusingly, the Order of the Bow Initiate's Ranged Precision ability works with all ranged weapons, not just bows, that you've taken Weapon Focus with.

Going Two Weapon Fighting, or Archery combat styles?

Feats, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Far Shot (doubles range increment for your thrown axes), and Weapon Focus, are all good choices.

silentspace

First Post
Minimum Fighter 4: Quick-draw, Power Attack, Brutal Throw (C Adv), Weapon Focus, Weapon Specializiation

For Dwarven Waraxe, CW has Exotic Weapon Master
- Uncanny Blow: extra 2H damage
- Throw Exotic Weapon

CW has Throw Anything, if you want to throw axes other than the throwing axe.

With TWF (Ranger 2 if you don't have the Dex), you could add:
- Improved Buckler Defense (CW)
- Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting (C Adv)

Outside of allowed books:
- Races of Stone has Dwarven fighter substitution level 1
- Tome of Battle has Bloodstorm Blade
- Players Guide to Faerun has Hammer of Moradin: hammer instead of axe, but neat melee/ranged abilities

Cheers

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Demoquin said:
I want to make an effective Axe thrower ( as i can go melee/ ranged) . What feats and or classes do you think would be essential. I am kind of partial for some levels of Ranger as the group doesnt have a reliable tracker or survival character. Any of the Core 3 books is acceptable and anything else would have to be approved of the DM ( i think C Adv and CW are ok)

Start at lvl 8 with minimal gear, nothing too extravagant. I ahvent rolled statsyet so assume away.
If it were me, I'd be a fighter, and put as much into Str as I possibly could, picking up Brutal Throw (CW) at the earliest opportunity. Get only enough Dex to give you access to Rapid Shot. Since Manyshot only works on arrows, it's not worth taking (and neither are any feats that require it). You'll need Quick Draw, and you should probably carry a shield since you only need one hand to draw and throw.

Being a fighter will let you get all the feats you'll need, which should include Weapon Specialization. Combined with Weapon Focus and Point Blank Shot, it'll ramp up your ability to do damage, which makes a bigger difference the more attacks you get. Since you'll have rapid shot, it works well. If you do decide to go with a Dex-based thrown weapon fighter, it's even more crucial since your Str is likely to be lower. However, if your Dex is high enough you can go the Two Weapon Fighting route and throw an axe with your off-hand in addition to Rapid Shot if you're willing to take the extra to-hit penalties. I don't see this as being a good trade-off, but it might be your cup of tea.

The high Str will let you carry lots of axes, which is good, since you'll need to carry at least two or three full-attacks worth of ammo. It'll also probably let you wear heavy armour, which you can't do if you're a ranger. Get full plate and a tower shield, then start hurling axes like crazy and switch to melee when they get close. This is another reason to not worry too much about Dex. On the other hand, if you can manage to get your Dex up to 15, while still not skimping on Str, try being a dwarf and take Throw Anything (CW) to be able to huck dwarven waraxes.

Of course, I must mention that thrown-weapon fighters get completely hosed compared to archers. It's almost impossible to fight creatures with DR with thrown weapons unless you happen to have a collection of 8-10 magical axes. As well, should you ever get hold of a returning weapon, it doesn't do away with the need for extra ammo, and it reduces your mobility significantly. If you want to get it back, you must begin the round in the same square as you threw the weapon from. A clever enemy will find ways to relocate you in the meantime, and your flexibility as a tactical fighter is diminished regardless. On top of all that, thrown weapons are terrible at ranges beyond 10 or 20 feet. Far Shot is almost a necessity, but that's one more feat on a list of must-haves. Eventually that gets pretty cumbersome to keep up with, especially if you're trying to fit in the Weapon Specialization tree somewhere along the way.

Demoquin

First Post
Well if i can get my DEX high enough i could either go imp many shot. Maybe add some scout lvls in there for more dmg and/or go with the TWF feat.

With Ranger/Scout/ Fighter all i am seeing is free feats.

Ranger Track, Combat Style, imp combat Style, Endurance
Scout 4th lvl free feat
Fighter 4 - will give 3 free feats

That should cover most off the reqs. I will have to check the MAster Thrower again. It could be useful for more attacks or what not. The ability that makes the throw hit their touch AC , would that be useful? i think it doesnt allow the STR bonus. Could i add Brutal Throw or that power attack feat to add more dmg while still hitting their touch ac?

moritheil

First Post
Yeah, this has been done before. Throw anything, Polymorph Any Object into a Titan or something similarly large, Hulking Hurler for Really Throw Anything.

(PAO only has to be paid for once, most likely, and it's really cheap to get an NPC mage to do it.)

IamTheTest

First Post
Can a dwarf qualify for Exotic Weapon Master with the Dwarven Waraxe? I personally would rule against it by RAW but it seems a bit RBDMish.

moritheil

First Post
IamTheTest said:
Can a dwarf qualify for Exotic Weapon Master with the Dwarven Waraxe? I personally would rule against it by RAW but it seems a bit RBDMish.

IIRC, EWM has a line that says that racial weapon familiarity can qualify you.

Sejs

First Post
Let's see..

Point Blank Shot
Rapid Shot
Precise Shot
Brutal Throw
-a high strength-
Two-Weapon Fighting
Quick Draw

You'll probably want a few levels of fighter, frankly.

You could make a pretty interesting two-axe fighting axe hurler by going a split between fighter and barbarian.

Also consider master thrower, as mentioned already. Fighter/Barbarian/Master Thrower/Tempest could be a pretty damn mean axe thrower, ultimately.

Remove ads