Help - Charging monk damage and feats

Legildur

First Post
How do these feats work together when calculating damage?

Start with a 10th Human Monk with 18 Str, Has UBAB of +7/+4/+1 for 1d10+4 damage and movement 60 ft.

Tumble 5+ ranks gives +2 synergy bonus to Jump checks
Jump max ranks 13 gives +19 modifier (13+4+2).

Running Jump minimum 30' and Standing Jump minimum 8' (or 16' if you take the increased movement rate to count for standing jumps). Only need to roll a 5+ on d20 to standing jump 10' (minimum for charge attack).

Feats of interest (don't have books in front of me):

Mantis Leap (S&F) - successful Jump check gives Str x2 to damage.
Power Lunge (S&F) - successful charge attack gives double Str bonus to damage (provokes AOO from target).
Flying Kick (OA) - double damage on charge attack.

Start with Mantis Leap - successful Jump check leads to 1d10+8 dmg?

Same with Power Lunge - successful charge attack leads to 1d10+8 dmg?

What about together? 1d10+12 for successful Jump check resulting in successful charge attack (move min 10 ft)?

Okay, now look at Flying Kick (exclude the other 2 feats for the moment) - 2d10+8 dmg on successful charge?

What about adding in Power Lunge to Flying Kick? Is that 2d10+16 or 2d10+12 (It would be the same for a Flying Kick and Mantis Leap combo)

What about all three together? Is that 2d10+24? Or have I got it wrong?

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
Using those three feats together, I think this is how it will work. (I don't have the book in front of me right now, so I might be wrong.)

Base Damage

1d10 +6 for charge (Only 1 attack, so following the moster rules, he gets Str *1.5)

Using all three, he will deal the following damage

1d10 (Normal Damage)
+8 (Use 2* Str for Power Lunge)
+0 (Mantis Leap doesn't stack with Power Lunge)

+ 1d10 + 6 (Flying Kick deals base damage again)

Total = 2d10 + 14

Again, I think that's right. I know all of it except possibly the ML and PL not stacking is correct.

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
So, are you saying that that rule only applies to monsters? ;)

It was mentioned in Dragon (the issue with the Saurians I believe) when they were clarifying how monster attacking works.

They decided that when monsters only get to make one attack, they get to add 1.5* Str to the attack instead of 1, despite the fact that natural weapons always count as very light.

I'm not even sure if I agree with it, its just something (semi)official that I read.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
A monster with a single melee attack deals 1.5 times its Str bonus; I don't dispute this - in fact, it's hard-coded in my race generator. I know the rules! :) In fact, an example of this is in the MM on page 18.

Still, it doesn't apply to monks' unarmed strikes.

Christian

Explorer
I'd also think that Flying Kick from OA and Mantis Leap from S&F are somewhat redundant-slightly different mechanics to simulate the same kind of attack. I wouldn't allow both feats to be available in one campaign ...

Remove ads