(+) Help Develop an IRON DM Spin-Off!

Rune

Once A Fool
Where were we?

Ah, yes. In developing a new format for an IRON DM contest following the 2020 tournament, we had established a basic structure for the project modeled loosely on various long-form reality TV cooking competitions.

So far, it looks something like this:

• A panel of judges, probably 3.
  • A four-week competition, with each week themed to test various different elements of in adventure-creation.
  • Contestants are not eliminated during the course of the competition. Instead, they are given a cumulative hidden score across the weeks. Possibly with a less-specific public general ranking.
  • Each week will have one or multiple topics that the contestants are expected to write entries for. Each week will have a set number of words allowed to write all entries with, allocated however the contestant chooses.
  • Each challenge will require the contestants to incorporate ingredients into their entries. These ingredients will not be known by the contestants before the challenge begins. Possibly, these ingredients will be specific to each individual challenge and uniform for all contestants. Possibly they will be a pool for the entire week that the contestants may allocate to their challenges as they choose. This is decision that still needs discussion.
  • Possibly the challenges will use specific game-systems or genres. Possibly they will have no such stipulation. This, too, needs discussion.
  • Weekly themes to be considered for challenges: World-Building Elements, Challenges, People and Motives, & Wonders.
  • Elements to be considered for challenges: Plot Hooks, NPCs, Schemes, Dangers, Settlements, Adventure Locations, Cultural Elements, & Artifacts.

Hopefully, we can sort this out and have it running by this Spring!

Rune

Once A Fool
My personal preference would be that the final week consists of a single challenge: incorporating the elements of previous weeks into a full (if brief) written adventure. While also incorporating the new ingredients for the week.

A proposed structure:

Week 1: World-Building. Contestants have one week and a maximum of [X] total words to write up entries for all of the following challenges, incorporating [Y] specific ingredients.

The individual challenges: A Unique Cultural Element (an institution, deity, tradition, legend, etc.), A Unique Settlement, AND A Unique Wonder (artifact, location, mystery, etc.)

Week 2: People & Motivations. Contestants have one week and a maximum of [X] total words to write up entries for all of the following challenges, incorporating [Y] specific ingredients.

The individual challenges: A Unique NPC, A Unique Scheme, AND A Unique Faction.

Week 3: Conflicts: Contestants have one week and a maximum of [X] total words to write up entries for all of the following challenges, incorporating [Y] specific ingredients.

The individual challenges: A Plot Hook, A Unique Danger (a monster, trap, hazard, etc.), A Unique Puzzle or Riddle, AND A Unique Adventure Location.

Week 4: Adventure. Contestants have one week and a maximum of [X] total words to write up a cohesive adventure, incorporating the elements created in previous weeks and [Y] specific ingredients.

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
One more consideration: Each week, the judges could incorporate a fan-favorite category into their scoring.

This could be achieved (while remaining hidden) by soliciting private messages from spectators. Each vote would then translate to an additional point added to the score.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I remember discussing this - but it does seem complicated and requiring consistent buy-in from contestants and judges. That said, it does seem like it could be hecka lot of fun to either judge or participate in.

Rune

Once A Fool
I remember discussing this - but it does seem complicated and requiring consistent buy-in from contestants and judges. That said, it does seem like it could be hecka lot of fun to either judge or participate in.
My thinking is that it can work with a field of contestants that can be of any size. Except that the judges still have to read all of the entries, so not too large. Theoretically, though, even just 2 contestants is enough. 4-8 would be much better, of course.

I would bet we could round up 3 judges and at least 4 contestants.

Rune

Once A Fool
Of course, the issue of maintaining a contestant’s interest is one we need to tackle. Maybe a non-judging host who interacts with contestants? Asks questions about choices made? That sort of thing?

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
If course, the issue of maintaining a contestant’s interest is one we need to tackle. Maybe a non-judging host who interacts with contestants? Asks questions about choices made? That sort of thing?
We need a scoring system that both makes it so that a consistent winner each week is likely to win the whole thing, but that also gives someone who falls behind a chance to catch up so they are not discouraged. I do think there needs to be some kind of public scoring round up each week.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
I am holding on to my feedback until I have more time and energy to appropriately process and type it up, but I'm definitely still interested in helping hash this out. I will say I'm a fan of the structure you've listed.

I definitely agree also that either direct scoring (or even just ranking, or like a Top 3) every week gives contestants an idea of where they are and how far they have to go to catch up.

As Spring rolls around I will definitely have more time and energy and would be glad to step in either as either a judge or an Alton Brown, as needed.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yes, this sounds fun. Quick thoughts: I think we should stick to system agnostic. For someone who entirely prefers D&D to other RPGs, for some reason I found writing a sci-fi just because in last year's competition made the whole thing more fun and versatile. I think the same basic "no mechanical elements needed" IronDM approach seems best.

It would be unfortunate if a contestant needed to bow-out mid-competition, but I think we shouldn't worry too much about that (other than to try to make it worth sticking around for).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases