• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me break in my 3.5 books! (3.5 Q&A)

jgsugden said:
We've heard about rings and staffs. Are there any interesting tidbits to share about rods?

Three posts about rods gets the magic answer!

Actually, I don't notice any differences for rods in general; there may be changes to specific rods that I'm not picking up on, though.

Aside: Remember the criticism about caster level for magic items and prerequisites that either MC or SKR mentioned? I don't see how it's an issue -- the 3.5 DMG specifically says the prereqs are the items (feats, spells, costs) listed following the caster level (hence CL isn't a prereq, though I can see how it is still confusing).

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Olgar Shiverstone said:

Actually, I don't notice any differences for rods in general; there may be changes to specific rods that I'm not picking up on, though.

Nice to see the metamagic rods in there now (based on, if not lifted from, Tome & Blood)

Plane Sailing

Steverooo said:
I still haven't seen the exact wording on the Ranger's Camouflage and Hide in Plain Sight.

I believe you have, actually. In another thread where you posted this question someone typed out exactly what it says in the book for each of these abilities - I can't remember exactly *which* thread I'm afraid, but...

... the truth is out there!

(and despite the rogue-fancying naysayers, I think it is great. It reinforces the rangers role as the ultimate outdoor scout in D&D, and still leaves rogues as the ultimate flexibility (sneak attacking, bluffing, diploming, trap-disarming, grinning, tumbling fun guy etc).

Last edited:

Steverooo said:
I still haven't seen the exact wording on the Ranger's Camouflage and Hide in Plain Sight.

It's been posted on these boards, but here it is again:

Camouflage: Use the Hide skill in any sort of natural terrain, even if the terrain doesn't provide cover or concealment.

HIPS: While in any sort of natural terrain ... use the hide skill while being directly observed.

It's useful to note that Hide has changed slightly; Hide requires either cover or concealment to attempt, eg, the shadowy area created by torchlight.

Last edited:

FireLance

Legend
A couple of questions on the Knowledge skills:

1. Are there any suggested DCs for Knowledge checks, e.g. to know a monster's weaknesses?
2. Are we advised against creating new Knowledge categories?

I ask that last question because I find it strange that Knowledge (Nobility) seems to be the only class skill that would allow a paladin to have knowledge of the law.

player1

First Post
Plane Sailing said:

Nice to see the metamagic rods in there now (based on, if not lifted from, Tome & Blood)

I just hope they are not lifed as is, otherwise it would be "17th level wizard with 12th level spells stikes back".

Steverooo

First Post
Plane Sailing said:

I believe you have, actually. In another thread where you posted this question someone typed out exactly what it says in the book for each of these abilities - I can't remember exactly *which* thread I'm afraid, but...

... the truth is out there!

(and despite the rogue-fancying naysayers, I think it is great. It reinforces the rangers role as the ultimate outdoor scout in D&D, and still leaves rogues as the ultimate flexibility (sneak attacking, bluffing, diploming, trap-disarming, grinning, tumbling fun guy etc).

Nope, I said "I still haven't seen"... and I hadn't! :D I went back and found it, though:

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55269&pagenumber=7

[Edit: Thanks, anyway, Olgar!]

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

FireLance said:
A couple of questions on the Knowledge skills:

1. Are there any suggested DCs for Knowledge checks, e.g. to know a monster's weaknesses?
2. Are we advised against creating new Knowledge categories?

1. Suggested DC = 10+HD of monster. Each 5pts you make the check by over this DC reveals extra information. (I plan to reveal stuff in the order offenses then defenses then vulnerabilities, I don't recall it giving any special guidance otherwise though).

2. I don't recall precisely, but I think it gives a cautious green light for designing new categories, but it would be a bad idea for the same reason that d20Modern advises against it.

Cheers

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads