D&D 5E Help me build an epic final battle with Tiamat!

I'm nearing the end of my first 1-20 5E campaign. The player characters are about 10 sessions away from facing off with Tiamat in the (hopefully) epic finale.

The PCs are 20th level with multiple epic boons and a robust set of magic items. When it comes to tactics, they are middle of the road--neither great nor terrible. (Same with me, to be honest.) We play on Zoom using theater of the mind supplemented with maps (but no tokens).

Elf arcane trickster rogue
Aasimar vengeance paladin
Half-elf whispers bard
Halfling lore bard
Tiefling shadow sorcerer
Human beast master ranger

Tiamat is plotting her escape from Hell. So the PCs might confront her in Hell...or they could let her escape and then ambush her on another plane. TBD.

I don't want this fight to devolve into a dice-rolling slog--I want it to feel like the climax to an epic fantasy blockbuster.

Does anyone have advice on how to play Tiamat for maximum effectiveness, excitement, and drama?

And how about pointers on terrain, minions, or anything that can make this finale feel like it has majesty and grandeur?

Thank you!

J-H

Hero
One thing I like to add to dragons is changing Bite to Bite and Throw. Example:

Bite. Melee weapon attack, +16 to hit, 15’, 2d8+8 piercing damage + 3d6 poison damage.

Grab and Throw. On a successful bite, the dragon may choose to try to grab its target, with a roll of d20+15 opposed to the target’s Athletics or Acrobatics roll. On a successful roll, the dragon will grab its prey, shake it back and forth, and then open its jaws, flinging the target into the air. The target will travel in a random direction in a straight line (roll 1d8, with 1 as north, circling around to 8 for NW) for 1d6 x 10 feet, stopping early if it hits an obstacle. The thrown target will take 1d6 falling damage per 10’ traveled (rounding down), Acrobatics DC 15 half. If the thrown creature hits another creature, both of them take that amount of falling damage, although the target may make a dexterity save (DC 15) to halve the damage.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If you want an Epic 'mini', the Enhancing Storm King's Thunder thread has a post (around p17) about creating an Ancient Dragon of intended body size with moving head and tail.
Tiamat's 5 heads and body ought to be enough to deal with.

P.S. Tiamat makes a kind of guest appearance in Descent to Avernus. The PCs may want to mess with her from that end while another group of heroes faces her at the Well of Dragons. Sort of a hammer-and-anvil strategy.

I'm nearing the end of my first 1-20 5E campaign. The player characters are about 10 sessions away from facing off with Tiamat in the (hopefully) epic finale.

The PCs are 20th level with multiple epic boons and a robust set of magic items. When it comes to tactics, they are middle of the road--neither great nor terrible. (Same with me, to be honest.) We play on Zoom using theater of the mind supplemented with maps (but no tokens).

Half-elf whispers bard
Halfling lore bard
Tiefling shadow sorcerer

Tiamat is plotting her escape from Hell. So the PCs might confront her in Hell...or they could let her escape and then ambush her on another plane. TBD.

I don't want this fight to devolve into a dice-rolling slog--I want it to feel like the climax to an epic fantasy blockbuster.

Does anyone have advice on how to play Tiamat for maximum effectiveness, excitement, and drama?

And how about pointers on terrain, minions, or anything that can make this finale feel like it has majesty and grandeur?

Thank you!
Following, since this is how I am hoping to end my Dragon Horde campaign as well.

Quickleaf

Legend
If you wanted to go the route of an adventure focused on scheming and intrigue, you could focus the session on undermining Tiamat's power base by subverting Bel (and potentially her abishai army) against her, negotiating for the Ruby Rod of Asmodeus which binds Tiamat to the Nine Hells, tricking her and/or Vlaakith into nullifying the "Red Dragon Compact" between Gith and Tiamat to deprive her of legion of red dragons, leveraging one of her chromatic dragon jilted lovers to learn her weakness, stealing treasures from the main Temple of Tiamat to get her to destroy her own temple in a rage and undermine her follower base, etc. So that when the final confrontation happens in the last hour, Tiamat's supreme vanity is proven to be her undoing as the PCs have methodically undermined every step of her plan, making her a hollow threat with no power to free herself.

If you wanted a more traditional knock-down battle, then I'd play up the multi-part aspect of Tiamat. She has 5 heads, representing 5 vices: arrogance, greed, hate, spite, and vanity. She has been characterized as having three forms: Dark Lady, Chromatic Queen, and Dracolich form. I'd double down on that idea and create multiple threat/challenge vectors in the fight themed off of these things (and potentially tying into the PCs' final story beats). For example:
  • Storm of Spite: Wherever the showdown takes places, there is a 5 mile windswept aura of darkness (no light stronger than dim light is possible, and magical sunlight is repressed) of spiteful whispering sounding like multi-tonal insidious vaguely feminine voices. Animals and/or NPCs may be found cowering in fear within this storm. These whispers dredge up old lingering wounds and resentments of anyone entering the storm. This is an opportunity to showcase past inter-party conflict and either given them the satisfaction of having overcome those moments, or the opportunity to explore further conflict. You may wish to throw some illusions in here, and anyone falling for them must make an Intelligence save or be unable to treat anyone as an ally until the first phase of the fight ends. Also! The WHISPERS BARD should be able to manipulate the voices magically (by expending spell slots) to hear spiteful whispers from Tiamat's many enemies about her weaknesses, giving that PC the opportunity to shine and turn Tiamat's storm against her. The storm also gives the RANGER the opportunity to use Primeval Awareness to sense the direction to a dragon within the low-visibility storm.
  • Rubies of Imprisonment: As Tiamat emerges on the wing, she is circled by three ioun stone-like rubies which glow dark red with infernal inner light, part of the spell binding her to the Nine Hells. These rubies move in an erratic orbit, being buffeted by the storm winds. Each acts like a sensory stone, providing some memory of Tiamat to anyone touching it (you can mine events from your campaign or turn to the FR wiki), however they are extremely hard to reach, and are treated as being equipped by Tiamat... unless you happen to be an ARCANE TRICKSTER ROGUE who can use mage hand to Sleight of Hand in the midst of combat. The LORE BARD should realize the nature of these rubies, and will further be aware that they are imbued with Tiamat's greed and covetousness, such that anyone with a ruby on their person must make a Wisdom save at the end of their turn or be compelled to steal from an ally during their next turn. This makes the rubies a bit of a "hot potato" scenario, and doubles down on the "greed is downfall" theme that runs through Tiamat's history. During this 1st phase, Tiamat is slightly weakened from escaping the Nine Hells and lacks Legendary Actions, and prioritizes destroying the rubies (AC 24, 10 hit points, and resistance to all damage) and using breath weapons; each one she destroys restores one of her Legendary Actions. OTOH, each one that a PC accesses the memory to should give some insight into Tiamat's powers.
  • Hour of Hate: Emitting a terrible roar, Tiamat seems to assume a shadowy skeletal form momentarily before discorporating into the winds, and various abishai begin swarming the party. I'd have her roar force Concentration checks for all PCs sustaining ongoing spells/effects requiring Concentration. Close observation of the VENGEANCE PALADIN and SHADOW SORCERER reveals that a darkness clings over them and their shadows slowly distort to appear more spike/draconic the more abishai each kill. If either kill a number of abishai greater than their Wisdom modifier (or something like that, you'll need to fine tune numbers/trigger), they become possessed by Tiamat as per the dominate person spell (no save). Remove curse can remove the effect from them, as can sunlight if the PCs devise a way despite the storm's light-dimming properties. The VENGEANCE PALADIN can also make a sacrifice of some kind (their magic sword, their eyes, or something suitably dramatic for that PC) to invoke their god's might to banish the abishai and lift the curse on him/herself or on the shadow sorcerer. Whereas the SHADOW SORCERER can expend a 7th+ level spell slot to take control of the storm / dissipate the storm and lift the curse on him/herself or on the paladin. The lesson is not to focus on the things you hate (the abishai) but upon the things you love (each other). There may be an opportunity for TIEFLING hijinx with the abishai too, depending on how you've explored the tiefling's racial backstory so far.
  • Mother of Lies: Tiamat reappears at ~2/3 HP under the effect of an advanced version of mirror image which gives her four images (so there appear to be 5 Tiamats)... If she has four duplicates, you must roll a 3 or higher to change the attacks' target to a duplicate. If she has three duplicates, you must roll a 6 or higher to change the attack's target to a duplicate. With two duplicates, you must roll an 8 or higher. With one duplicate, you must roll an 11 or higher. The trick here is using what they know about Tiamat based on your campaign, Storm of Spite, Rubies of Imprisonment, and the party's LORE BARD to deduce which of the images is false. There should be very subtle differences between them; for example, one might boast that she is the Master of All Metallic Dragons (false), another might have a scythe instead of a barbed wyvern stinger on her tail (false), another might lack a critical injury sustained in the fight so far (false), etc. The PCs could just rely on true seeing...brute force multiattacking...or spells targeting saving throws... but those are a costly expenditure of resources. During this 2nd phase, she focuses on spellcasting to weaken the party. When she is reduced to ~1/3 HP, she assumes the form of the Dark Lady (dark-haired shadowy woman) surrounded by a sphere of force that crackles with hellfire that looks trapped with the force. If the storm was ongoing, it ends by sucking into the Dark Lady; I'd have this process force Concentration checks for all PCs sustaining ongoing spells/effects requiring Concentration.
  • Sphere of Vainglory: During this time, Tiamat taunts the PCs, basks in her own arrogance, and causes beasts in the area (including mounts, animal companions, and familiars) to be wracked by terrible pain and begin to morph into drake-like or wyvern-like versions of themselves (Tome of Beasts has some nice higher CR drakes, like the Elder Shadow Drake, Rust Drake, Deep Drake, and Star Drake). After three rounds, the fleshwarping becomes permanent & their alignment changes to CE as a minion of Tiamat, unless targeted by a 9th level dispel magic. If no one in the party has a mount, animal companion, or familiar, you can include some animals in the area which begin to be warped. This is the BEAST MASTER RANGER's time to shine, being able to expend spell slots and make ability checks to soothe animals and prevent them from being warped by Tiamat's dark magic. The trick is that anytime a PC deals damage to one of these fleshwarped drake-beasts, the PC must make a Charisma save or find their consciousness swapped with that of the drake-beast! Greater restoration will restore a PC back into their body. Normally, only a disintegrate spell will bring down the sphere prematurely, but clever roleplay indulging Tiamat's vanity only to twist it at the end might force her to make a Concentration check – failure indicating the sphere of force fails. Otherwise, the sphere drops only when there are no more hostile creatures fighting the PCs and no more animals in danger.
  • Finale: Tiamat resumes her chromatic queen form at ~1/3 HP and attacks the PCs with everything she has got during this 3rd phase. To prevent her from discorporating, there may be some final mythical step the PCs must take, either something you've revealed in the campaign heretofor, or something the LORE BARD can know (or maybe tip your hat to the player, and let him/her declare what this final mythical step is to seal Tiamat away / kill her for good).

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool

Half-elf whispers bard
Halfling lore bard
Tiefling shadow sorcerer

Thank you!
Congratulations! I just concluded my first 1-20 campaign last night. I’m sure you already recognize this, but you’re definitely going to need to beef Tiamat up.

Bring her numbers up to CR 30 standards and then multiply her HP by however many rounds you want her to last (possibly in the form of different stages). You know how much damage your party can dish out. Use that as a guideline.

I’d personally also give her sorcerer-like abilities, but easier to run. My end-boss was a home-brewed Loki. He needed to be a sorcerer, but I wasn’t about to keep track of sorcerer points, so I gave him at-will metamagics, at least two spells of each level, and one spell slot per level that each recharged on a 6 (but probably could have been 5-6) to encourage a diverse array of spells cast during play. Definitely give her Time Stop and way to heal herself, of course.

Tactically, she’s going to need allies, both to keep things dynamic, and to sacrifice when she needs a screen.

As for terrain, I found that it was increasingly irrelevant at high levels. Not entirely, but the PCs have a lot of options for starting things out at great range and traverse distances very quickly, if needed. I would just have one dominant feature that potentially threatens an NPC population center (like a volcano, earthquake, falling sky, expanding sphere of annihilation, or whatever) and put a countdown of 3-ish rounds on it.

At the end of the 3rd-ish round, disaster happens and everything changes; suddenly, the PCs have to start saving people while Tiamat is still trying to kill them.

This all easier if Tiamat gets to choose her battleground. If she doesn’t, try to give her the opportunity to lead the PCs to a better locale. Again, sacrificing (dragon) minions is a good way to screen her “escape.”

Good luck!

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Check out Last Breath of the Dragon Queen, the capstone for the Scales of War adventure path. It was originally published (for 4E) in Dungeon magazine #175, and there is a 5E conversion of it for level 20 at this blog:

This was how I finished off my own first 1-20 campaign. The main change I made was to use some unusual dragons from third-party supplements like the Tome of Beasts (Kobold Press) in place of the brood queens, mostly because the players had already fought tons of "normal" chromatic dragons by that point. I made them Tiamat's consorts instead.

Last edited:

NotAYakk

Legend
She isn't a monster. She is a God.

When the PCs engage her, she is the size of a mountain. She is the terrain upon which the final battle is fought, not the monster they face.

Surrounding her is her brood, chromatic dragons of all shapes and ages. To a tricked out epic party, an ancient dragon is a quick fight. As they battle along the surface of Tiamat's body, they meet ancient red dragons as random encounters.

The surface of her body is a world, and each neck has its own hazards.

In order to have a chance agaist a God, you need a MacGuffin. Tiamat has 5 heads; I'd actually say a 5 piece MacGuffin. Maybe they have to embed a piece of the artifact in all 5 of her heads, battling down each neck, hiding the piece, then going to the next one. Meanwhile, Tiamat is treating them like the fleas they are.

When the 6th artifact is embedded (one for each head, and one for her heart (6 PCs)), only then do they get to fight "Tiamat" as a monster; a fight between them and Tiamat's avatar.

Oh baby -- what if the artifacts are designed to steal Tiamat's power? Each artifact channels some of her power into a PC. As she diminishes, they grow into demigods.

White - Ice
Red - Fire
Black - Acid
Green - Poison
Blue - Lightning
Heart - Death

So.... Tiamat's actual body is a world. They have to embed the artifacts into her 5 heads and heart. When you embed the appropriate artifact, you steal part of her power. When all 6 are embedded, you become an ascended mortal (to demigod hood).

Aspect of Hate (White, Ice)
Aspect of Arrogance (Red, Fire)
Aspect of Destruction (Black, Acid)
Aspect of Betrayal (Green, Poison)
Aspect of Cruelty (Blue, Lightning)
Aspect of Death (Heart, Necrotic)

As a baseline (pre-ascension):
  • You are immune to damage of that type
  • Your weapon attacks deal an extra 1d12 damage of that type
  • When you deal damage of that type, you gain that many temporary HP
  • When you cast a spell that deals damage of that type, you deal an extra damage die and it is counted as a 1 level higher spell slot.
  • You are immune to fear

In addition
Hate: If you someone hits you with a critical hit, you strike a critical hit, or you take damage that drops you below 1/2 max HP, you can go into a barbarian rage for 1 minute. While in this rage, you resist all damage (including the damage that triggered this effect, if any), you can still cast spells and concentrate, and you have advantage on all attack rolls of the creature who damaged you or you hit that triggered this effect. When you leave this rage, you suffer a level of exhaustion. You also regain a level of exhaustion on a short rest. You can enter this rage again while in it; this extends the duration, possibly adds another creature you gain advantage on, but also increases the number of levels of exhaustion when you leave it by 1.

(This is an improved costly version of barbarian rage. Note that I'm stealing from barbarian a lot, because you gots none.)

Arrogance: You have advantage on all saving throws. When you attack a creature or force a creature to make a saving throw on your turn, you can claim advantage on the attack or disadvantage on the save. If you do so, until the start of your next turn you become more vulnerable: all attacks on you have advantage.

(Note: this is a much improved version of reckless attack.)

Destruction: All damage you do is siege damage; objects and constructs take double damage, and you ignore damage thresholds. Whenever you score a critical hit, double the damage again. If you cast a spell that deals damage, on your next turn you can cause the spell to repeat as a bonus action at the same location; if it targets a creature (instead of an area) that is no longer at that location, there is a 50% chance you can redirect it to follow the creature, and 50% chance it instead targets the spot where they left. If you miss with an attack, you can move up to 15' and repeat the attack on a different target within 20' of the original target.

(Note: ouch. I hope whomever gets this smashes stuff good.)

Betrayal: You are destined to betray every creature you meet. Until you attack or force a creature to take a save, they are charmed by you and you have resistance to all damage they inflict and you automatically pass every save they force you to make. The first time you attack a creature or force it to take a save, you have advantage on the roll or they have disadvantage on the save.

(Note: This is worded carefully; creatures immune to charm are still impacted by sentence 2 and 3. Charm means you have advantage on charisma checks and they cannot attack you; it does not prevent spellcasting etc).

Cruelty: You cannot fail constitution saving throws, and concentration saves you force are at disadvantage. The first time on your turn you deal damage to another creature, it must make a concentration saving throw against the damage; if it fails the concantration save, it becomes paralyzed until the end of your turn, and you gain temporary HP equal to the damage you dealt.

(Note: Paralyzed is only on your turn, and end of your turn. Followup attacks by you, or readied attacks by allies, get a bonus. And flying stuff that can't hover plummets. Paralyzed is a decent "intense pain" effect, and also fits with lighting theme of blue dragons.)

Death: If you kill a creature and your HP is less than 1/2 of their max HP, you heal to that amount. You cannot die so long as another aspect is alive; effects that would kill you or destroy your body are ignored (power word kill, disintegrate, etc) even if any damage they deal is not. Whenever you take damage that would reduce you to 0 HP or lower, you are instead reduced to 1 HP and another aspect takes the remaining damage (their immunity or resistance can reduce the transferred damage). If another aspect is dead or dies, they are instantly brought back as an undead incarnation of themselves; their HP is restored to full, they are undead, and gain your cannot die and damage transfer feature (but only to still living incarnations), and cannot be restored to life even by a Diety. If all incarnations are rendered undead... you die as well, and your souls meld into an incarnation of Tiamat.

(Note: Death is a bit of a trap compared to the rest; the Heart of Tiamat is not something you can steal safely. I wouldn't tell your PCs about every clause here. The PCs that come back as undead; say you have the same memories, are loyal to Death, but you feel the aspect emotions ... a bit stronger every day.)

That looks like fun.

Only then, then you can fight Tiamat. In this reduced incarnation, she's merely the size of a small city, and each of you have to fight all of her heads at once; only once you defeat your head (which matches your aspect) can you help the others (Heart gets to gang up on one head).

---

For tactical complexity...

At the start of combat and at the end of each round, randomly 2 of her heads are Empowered until the end of her next turn. An Empowered head deals ~2x damage (does a breath weapon and a set of attacks?) and takes 10x less damage.

This should be obvious to the PCs and told about in advance.

Those not fighting empowered heads can thus drop them faster; as the non-empowered heads drop, there are fewer heads (so more likely to be empowered) and more PCs per head. So that sort of structurally guarantees a 6 on one or two teamup at the end.

In their ascended form, the PCs can have crazy stuff like a 60' fly speed, and where they fight Tiamat can have terrain to hide behind (on the empowered rounds). Her long necks make each head independently mobile.

Last edited:

Check out Last Breath of the Dragon Queen, the capstone for the Scales of War adventure path. It was originally published (for 4E) in Dungeon magazine #175, and there is a 5E conversion of it for level 20 at this blog:

This was how I finished off my own first 1-20 campaign. The main change I made was to use some unusual dragons from third-party supplements like the Tome of Beasts (Kobold Press) in place of the brood queens, mostly because the players had already fought tons of "normal" chromatic dragons by that point. I made them Tiamat's consorts instead.
Thanks for this. I was planning on using Scales of War to finish everything off, but I hadn't found the conversion for it.

Remove ads