Help me "get" Forged in the Dark.

MarkB

Legend
Random thought I had today:

One genre I am always trying to figure out how to do in the RPG space is the R rated sex comedy. I have run a few as late night invite only con games, including a really great Paranoia game and a bawdy Wizard College one using a variation on Dread but it was lust not fear.

Anyway, it occurred to me that the "writer's room" approach of FitD might be a good tool for that. Because it is a degree removed from more immersion focused games, it feels less "squicky." Plus, most sex comedies are just capers in disguise, which is obviously something FitD does well.

Once I have more experience with the system I will have to explore the idea.
It's not FitD, but some of the PbtA systems do include sexual themes, including outright sex moves. Monsterhearts comes to mind, it's basically teen sexual-identity drama/comedy with some species identity thrown in for extra allegorical juiciness.

It's not FitD, but some of the PbtA systems do include sexual themes, including outright sex moves. Monsterhearts comes to mind, it's basically teen sexual-identity drama/comedy with some species identity thrown in for extra allegorical juiciness.
Yeah I think PbtA is probably a much better choice for a sex comedy game than FitD. @Reynard In addition to Monsterhearts you might want to check out the sex/intimacy-related moves in Apocalypse World and Thirsty Sword Lesbians. I think the latter takes most of its romance-related mechanics from Monsterhearts, but it’s a cool game nonetheless, and a less aggressive take overall…the more I think about it, it’s an interesting read if you’re thinking sex comedies.

Reynard

Legend
I decided I wanted to run this as close to "at the table" as possible so even though there are Roll20 character sheets I am just going to use Zoom or something similar. I picked up a Wacom One so I can draw clocks and stuff, but otherwise I want to get away from automation and distractions.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I decided I wanted to run this as close to "at the table" as possible so even though there are Roll20 character sheets I am just going to use Zoom or something similar. I picked up a Wacom One so I can draw clocks and stuff, but otherwise I want to get away from automation and distractions.
That's probably a very good idea. FitD runs best 'at the table' IMO.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Perfectly cromulent. Having some sort of permanent chat to post things like NPCs and clocks and faction status and notable events and keep them in one place can help a lot as well. I play via discord, so we have a channel set up for things like that.

Reynard

Legend
Perfectly cromulent. Having some sort of permanent chat to post things like NPCs and clocks and faction status and notable events and keep them in one place can help a lot as well. I play via discord, so we have a channel set up for things like that.
This is explicitly a 2 session playtest so I can get a sense of whether the system is for me, as a GM. If so, I will then decide which flavor of FitD I want (still leaning toward trying to emulate The Boys in a grimdark fantasy world).

MarkB

Legend
Fair, though I will say that the Roll20 BitD sheets are generally a thing of beauty, very well implemented.

hawkeyefan

Legend

Probably a good idea. One of the things I like about Blades in the Dark (and the other FitD games I’ve played) is that in play, you need very little. Character sheets for each player and a Crew sheet for the crew, some D6s and that’s about it.

There are likely google doc or other electronic format versions you can find that can be shared.

Remove ads