• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me make tempest fighter

Altharos

First Post
I wanna create 10 th lvl drow warrior class (must be martial). I am basically looking for suggestions on everything.

I think my character use two weapon (two short sword make good attack roll). Therefore i choose tempest fighter. In addition of this i think take multiclass from rogue (gain sneak attack +2d6 per encounter). I choose multiclass only from martial class (ranger, rogue or swordmage).

And i have too much money (40.000 gp) but i must buy one magical item.

My character's features; cunning, trickster, able to use sword, stealthy (become to as the member of Bregan D'aerthe :eek:).
I choose some simple power from martial powers book, evaluation to this :)

at will: dual strike, footwork hure

encounter: funnelin flurry

daily: tempest dance

My feats; two weapon fighting, weapon focus (short sword). My remaining feats four.

Thanks for now..

Mentat55

First Post
You can only purchase one magic item? That could be rough for a tempest fighter, as you wield two weapons, so one will have an inferior attack roll. How much can you spend on one item?

You could take the ranger multiclass feat Warrior of the Wild to get Hunter's Quarry 1/encounter (basically two rounds) and a free skill selection that you could spend on Stealth (instead of having to take Thievery with Sneak of Shadows). Skill Training (Bluff) or Skill Training (Perception) might be appropriate feats, to fit the flavor of your character.

Two-Weapon Threat adds extra damage to opportunity attacks when you wield two weapons. Agile Superiority (from Dragon #378) lets you use your Dex modifier instead of Wis for the fighter's Combat Superiority class feature.

Technically, you would take weapon focus (light blades). If you have a feat to spare, the double sword or katars are better than two short swords. Nimble Blade would increase your accuracy even more when you have combat advantage (something many tempest powers reward you for already), and Blade Opportunist would make your opportunity attacks more accurate.

Turtlejay

First Post
Paired Weapon would allow you to have two magic swords for the price of one, since you can only have one item that might be a good idea. Alternatively, spend it on a defensive option if your defenses are lower than they should be.

May I suggest the Drow Long Knife as your weapon of choice? Fits, as you are Drow, and it is a +3 1d6 heavy blade with a thrown range. With your high dex, from being a Tempest Fighter (and Drow) you should qualify for Heavy Blade Opportunity, so you could get two attacks off on your OA's (using Dual Strike), really improving the number of marks you can throw out. The thrown property is nice, too, so that you can mark enemies at a distance. Two Weapon Fighting, Defense, and Rend are good for this build, too. Defense is free. . .Weapon Focus (Heavy Blades), Agile Superiority, those are great feats to pick up.

Jay

Mentat55

First Post
Yeah, the drow long knife is a cool idea. Having a heavy thrown weapon that doubles as your primary melee weapon gives you a good ranged attack.

Turtlejay

First Post
So, Feats:
Xen'drik Weapon Training: Proficiency and +2 damage bonus with the Drow Long Knife
Agile Superiority: Use your Dex rather than Wis for Combat Superiority
Two Weapon Fighting: +1 to attack while wielding two weapons
Two Weapon Threat: +3 to damage on Opportunity attacks
Warrior of the Wild: MC Ranger for skill training and 1/encounter Quarry
???

For 40,000 GP the best item you could get is +3, I'd go with +3 Paired Drow Long Knife. With that, and the feats above, you would be doing 1d6+6 and 1d6+5 on your Dual Strike, with marking two enemies. Doesn't seem like a lot, but a Mordenkrad Fighter would be happy with the 2d6+11 that amounts to, and you are marking two enemies each time. Not to mention that on OA's you do 1d6+9, which is alright damage.

I'm no optimizer, this is just one way you could build such a character. The Long Knife is nice, instead of taking one feat for weapon focus (light blades), take one feat and get proficiency in a near identical weapon, but one that has a thrown property and counts as a heavy blade for HBO next level, as well as +2 to damage with that weapon.

Jay

Corwin

Explorer
I have an revenant (drow) tempest with paired drow long knives, so I have some experience with this very thing.

And, yes, it is cool. You also want Cleave with Deft Hurler Style feat. Trust me. You want it...

;)

Altharos

First Post
Thx but i want ask for this, i can't find drow long knife. This weapon has a double side as the double sword? Besides which source include this feats; Deft Hurler Style feat, Xen'drik Weapon Training feats?

Feats is good idea Turtlejay, i wanna add last feat on my character. It's a not good but i think maybe quick draw (for paired weapon, free action recombine it) or weapon focus.

And paired +3 weapon's price 17000 gp. Now i have 23000 gp :lol:

Thanks again Turtlejay, especially feats and weapon very very good idea. I will try to pick suitable powers. If you have something in mind you can tell I am opening all suggestions :)

Last edited:

Turtlejay

First Post
The Long Knife and the feat are both Eberron Setting items. The Deft Hurler feat was one of the Weapon Style feats, those have been all in the Dragon Magazines if I remember correctly.

I second Corwin's suggestion of Deft Hurler+Cleave. It is a very good power with your Long Knives. Also, to my mind it fits well with the two weapon attacks you are making with your other at will. Kind of cool.

Jay

Altharos

First Post
Hey, I have new one question :)

Tempest Technique said:
When wearing light armor or chainmail, you gain
a +1 bonus to damage rolls with melee and close
weapon attacks when you are wielding two weapons.
This bonus increases to +2 with weapons that have
the off-hand property.

I do not understand this part in tex; 'off-hand property'

Two-Blade Warrior
[Multiclass Ranger]
Prerequisites: Str 13, Dex 13
Benefit: You gain training in one skill from the
ranger’s class skill list.
You can wield a one-handed weapon in your off
hand as though it were an off-hand weapon.

When i wield two drow long knife, if i take this feat my bonus damage increase +2 ? And do i get - penalty attack rolls for this ?

Remove ads