• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help Me Score 1000 XP!

R.Carter

First Post
I'm a long time DM/player who for whatever reason just hasn't played a whole lot of 3.5 outside of the Core Rules. I have recently decided to take a break from the screens, and the guy who has stepped in opened the gates a little bit on extra material. He is also a brand new DM. He knows the rules pretty well, and has a wide knowledge of the material beyond the Core Rules.

The party ran up against an arcane spell slinger who was making flesh golems and undead types. During the encounter, the spell lober "teleported" (DMs word) into the chamber we were in with the following creatures:

3 small goblin skeletons
2 medium Worg undead (no more specific info)
1 large Worg undead (again, no more specific than that)

So I teased him a bit about the XP being low for a caster who can crank out that kind of teleport. And he issued a challenge to the players.

He offered 1000 XP for the player that can come up with how a 10th level arcanist can teleport himself and the above list of critters using the following source material:

The Core Rules
Spell Compendium
The Race series, except for Races of the Dragon
The Complete Series, except Psionics
PHB 2 some alternate classes
Unearthed Arcana

I only own the Core Rules, so it's been tough trying to work this one out.

Hey, a 1000XP is still 1000XP, and what every growing adventurer needs, especially when 7th level is soooo close.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sekhmet

First Post
He could just use a CL21 or better Dimension Door or Teleport scroll.
He could use a liberal interpretation of "and so forth", and thereby count each small creature as only 1/2 a medium creature, and then he'd only need a CL18 or better scroll.
Caster Level check is easy to make.

R.Carter

First Post
DM fiat is always understood, but he swears this is straight.

No scrolls, no invisibility. He also says he didn't take any liberties with the sizes as listed in Teleport.

Not sure about the Red Wizard, we didn't see any circles or tattoos or anything like that.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Wyvernhand

First Post
Wizard3/MasterConjourer4/WayfarerGuide3

Practiced Spellcaster for wizard and the Dimension Jump reserve feat from Complete Mage. Also, the Spellgifted Trait from UA.

That's CL 13 with 2 extra passengers. That's 6 people. Then add items, Boots of Big Stepping add 2 CLs, and UMD a Bead of Karma for another +4 CLs. That's 8 people. He only needs what, 7 people?

R.Carter

First Post
The only items we looted from the corpse was a Cloak of Resistance +2, and a Type 1 Bag of Holding. His spell book has Teleport in it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Did you SEE him teleport in with his minions? If not, that Bag of holding is probably your answer, at least in part.

R.Carter

First Post
Yes.

We saw them teleport into the room. The caster had already tried to sneak into our midst invisibly. We busted him, and he ran off. We dropped a portcullis, blocking the hall he ran down. About a minute later, he teleported in with his undead goons.

Animal

First Post
A scroll of Dimension Step (PHB II)? Seems legit if he could see you from some gallery overhead or something.
To add to Wyvern's idea: Maybe large undead worg is mage's familiar. He won't need the boots then.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads