Help me with the story of this Elf

Amazing Triangle

First Post
I have created a very studious Elven Archivist. He is very into books, loremaster prestige class. I am not one who plays a high intelligence character often (usually Sorcerers or Fighters). This is a high level character (18) and well I am having trouble brain storming something that would keep this character adventuring into epic levels.

I figured if I can find a good reason to keep going, his history will be easier to write. Any character flaws and/or traits that can be given in this would be helpful. Searching for hidden texts seems to simple.

So can you help me with my Elven Archivist/Loremaster, with his history or his ultimate life goal or any of his flaws and/or traits?

Thank you to anyone who helps me with this!

Moon-Lancer

First Post
how about a sick sister that can only be healed with a wish spell. thats motivation to go up to level 17.

we are talking super mega demon curse.

wolff96

First Post
An 18-int character is one of the smarter people on the planet. He knows it, too. And he's an elf -- he's got a long, long life to amass knowledge.

But it's not an infinite span. Obscure lore and pure knowledge will take you a long way, but immortality -- not counting the mockery of life that is lichdom -- has escaped scholars since the dawn of time.

How amazing, then, to be the first to achieve truly immortal existance?

------------------------------

Any truly epic knowledge goal would work for this character. As an Archivist -- and especially as a loremaster -- any truly obscure bit of knowledge could drive you. The opportunity to study at the library of a demon lord or a god. The true name of the lost chief deity of the Maztican race. The ultimate incantation to summon beings from the Pseudonatural Realms. A true understanding of the origin of existance.

rgard

Adventurer
Amazing Triangle said:
I have created a very studious Elven Archivist. He is very into books, loremaster prestige class. I am not one who plays a high intelligence character often (usually Sorcerers or Fighters). This is a high level character (18) and well I am having trouble brain storming something that would keep this character adventuring into epic levels.

I figured if I can find a good reason to keep going, his history will be easier to write. Any character flaws and/or traits that can be given in this would be helpful. Searching for hidden texts seems to simple.

So can you help me with my Elven Archivist/Loremaster, with his history or his ultimate life goal or any of his flaws and/or traits?

Thank you to anyone who helps me with this!

There's a prc someplace that is for elves looking for their long forgotten homeland. I checked Races of the Wild, but didn't find it there, but may have missed it.

Anyway, your character could become aligned with elves in the prc (wouldn't necessarily have to take levels in the prc) and becomes the organization's go-to-guy for digging up clues to the location of the lost elves.

Thanks,
Rich

Terraism

Explorer
rgard said:
There's a prc someplace that is for elves looking for their long forgotten homeland. I checked Races of the Wild, but didn't find it there, but may have missed it.

Complete Divine, the Seekers of the Misty Isle. Otherwise, I think the OP's gotten a lot of good suggestions thus far.

Black_Swan

First Post
Knowledge...

in order to gain increased access to information he needs to amass power. He recognizes that in order to gain access to the information he craves he muse wield some sort of power. Since he is neither noble or wealthy, adventuring is the best way to increase his personal power which makes him someone to be reckoned with.

With the respect gained through his powers comes access to information that others can only dream of.

Amazing Triangle

First Post
wolff96 said:
An 18-int character is one of the smarter people on the planet. He knows it, too. And he's an elf -- he's got a long, long life to amass knowledge.

But it's not an infinite span. Obscure lore and pure knowledge will take you a long way, but immortality -- not counting the mockery of life that is lichdom -- has escaped scholars since the dawn of time.

How amazing, then, to be the first to achieve truly immortal existance?
------------------------------
Any truly epic knowledge goal would work for this character. As an Archivist -- and especially as a loremaster -- any truly obscure bit of knowledge could drive you. The opportunity to study at the library of a demon lord or a god. The true name of the lost chief deity of the Maztican race. The ultimate incantation to summon beings from the Pseudonatural Realms. A true understanding of the origin of existence.

Well without magic his Int is 22. So smarter than many others. Immortality...that is a first...So mad sciencetist-esque kind of the Doctor Who/Doc Brown/Philip Brainard (Absent Minded Professor) mixture. Looking and testing things...Interesting take on an "old" idea.

Terraism said:
I think the OP's gotten a lot of good suggestions thus far.

Oh please more ideas, my brainstorm is a little weak and more suggestions means better storm, which means easier to find good choices.

Tal Rasha

Explorer
Random idea...

As has been said, before, for starters, power is an important motivator. I would imagine that the higher you get, the more dangerous it becomes. One, you need to get knowledge that is more difficult to obtain, and two, increasingly powerful characters will be wanting access to the information you have.

But, here's something better I think, patched together from the varius random stuff I've read tonight:

Your very studious Elven archvist falls madly in love. He meets his better half in Sigil, they hit it off, and seeing how Sigil is both the home of said better half and the nexus of multiversal traffic, he decides to move there. He leads a passional, happy, truly rewarding life, as would any character who spends all his time doing what he loves (in this case, let's say amassing knowledge and magical might) and who also has a wonderful personal life. No, even better than that, he leads the kind of life of which the qualities are ineffable, and which can only really be understood by those who have shared in something of the kind.

Until, that is, several years later. The love of his life dies. Nay, not dies, is destroyed, effectively removed from existence. Irrevocably. In Sigil. The cause of this (offended Her Serenity, killed by a factol, angered a draco-lich, taunted Coaxmetal a bit too far, etc.) is important only insofar as it makes it impossible for this very intelligent, learned man to bring her (let's say it's a woman, for the sake of argument) back. She is lost to him. He cannot even cast a "converse with dead" spell, to say a goodbye of some sort.

Now, here comes the turning point. Your character is quite intelligent, hard-working, high-level, and most importantly, driven forward with mad desire. He wants her back. He desperately, resolutely and uncompromisingly wants to get her back. There will be no tomfoolery of the "life-goes-on" sort, no quiet resignation to his fate, no philosophies of "what's done is done, be glad for what you had". Being an archivist, knowing full well the power of knowledge, drives you even further. You will get her back.

And here, the question lies: how? She cannot be resurrected. Her body is not available. Her spirit (if you choose to use such concepts in your game) is nowhere to be found. Casting Wish spells is of no effect. Your character cannot intercede with any power, but even if he could, it would not matter, as the last place in existence where his love was seen was the City of Doors. Your character is quite steeped in ancient and obscure lore already, and knows of Chronomancy and its associated possibilities. Alas, the Lady blocks time travel within the city, and casting any spell from this school is likely to draw her unneeded attention.

So, here is where you are. You know what you want, you have awesome power at your fingertips, and absolutely no clues on where to go next. Many, many interesting epic-level avenues are now open to you. Indeed, seeing how at this time your own life seems a concern about as important as the weather tomorrow, more avenues than before. Whither ?

Hope it helps.

Tal Rasha

Last edited:

Merkuri

Explorer
When your character was a young elf he stumbled upon a piece of arcane knowledge so powerful that it wiped all memory of it from his brain, aside from the fact that he had found something mortals were not meant to know. While this would humble most people and cause them to thank the gods they survived the knowledge at all, it gave you a burning desire to find this knowledge again and retain it. You do not know what you found, or even where it was when you found it (you woke up one day with months or even years gone from your memory), but you know that you will recognize it when you see it. You accumulate more and more knowledge in the hopes of finding this forbidden lore, and finding out how to safely keep it in your mortal brain.

Amazing Triangle

First Post
I really like the Sigil story but how do you reckon one gets there pre-epic and also gets back?

:D

I would love more ideas to look at if anyone has any feel free to add them!

Last edited:

Remove ads