Help Needed - Spicing up a Half-Elf Wizard

vagabundo

Adventurer
One of my players - the half-elf wizard - has recently shown some frustration with his character, The Great Haraj, when in combat. He has mentioned that it seems to end up that he is just firing magic missiles after magic missile, while the other characters are in the thick of it and seem to have a more options.

I was hoping that I could get some suggestions to rebuild him something a little more combat effective, something with a little more oomph. The Great Haraj is taking an in-game seista for a few months to work on his magic.

I think that he needs more options and variation in his At Will attacks.

From memory here is what he currently has:
4th level half-elf Wizard

Wand implement mastery.

At Wills:
Magic missile
Scorching Blast

Enc:
Some healing power from the pal or cleric list (half-elf Racial)
Shock sphere
Burning hands

Util:
Expeditious retreat

Daily:
Freezing Cloud or Acid Arrow

He has the expanded spellbook, but doesnt swap out spells at all, so I'll free up that feat for him. And that healing power is rarely used.

Any suggestion welcome, I was thinking of multiclassing him into warlock, as I think he would like to strike a bit more. He gets a little jealous of the rogue's damage and the fighter, who is always in the thick of it.

Any suggestions for interesting combos of feats, powers or items gratefully accepted.

He does like his character concept.

Oh we're leveling up next session to 5th level and I've just given him a Rod (unknown power) and a wand of scorching burst.

Last edited:

malraux

First Post
IMHO, Wand Wizards are the least exciting option out there. Also, IMHO, Magic Missile is the least exciting of the wizard at-wills. If he wants to be in the thick of things, I recommend a staff wizard, who gets AC boosts, plus taking the leather armor proficiency feat. Then swap out thunderwave for magic missile, as TW just feels like a wizard should. He'll never be able to equal the point damage that a rogue or ranger can do, but he can end up doing damage to a larger number of creatures at once.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Everyone has the same number of options for the most part, because everyone has the same number of powers (give or take one or two). So if he's feeling like all he's doing is firing magic missiles over and over, it's because he's not using his other spells effectively.

How often does he face off against numerous opponents at range? Scorching Burst should get used almost as often since it can hit multiple enemies at once, provided he's seeing the board correctly and his party members are paying attention as well.

And as far as his encounters and dailies... he has a varied mix... he just needs to know when to use them. If he hasn't learned how/when to use his slowing effects, moving into combat to use his close blast power, when to select the right daily or utility power etc... then perhaps playing a controller isn't the right class for him.

It sounds like he wants more varied ways of doing damage... which means he perhaps should change character altogether to warlock or sorcerer (if he wants to remain a spellcaster). Because unless he's fully into the idea of changing the gametable by using his controller powers to the fullest... then perhaps being a wizard is not his best fit.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback.

@Malraux: Doing a total rebuild like that is something I am considering. But like you say, swapping out magic missile might make the difference. Maybe thunderwave is the answer. Possibly giving him an more interesting half-elf racial power is key as well. Not sure I want him running in close to the action with his puny leather amour on though.

@Defcon: I think it is more a perception that an actuality; he feels like he doesnt have as many options as the other characters. It is certainly some of his own fault - he's my brother BTW and I know what he is like - but he normally plays fighter types and this is a departure for him, so I want to help out.

But he hasn't even looked at rituals yet, claimed he had enough on his plate with the spells. I think my mistake was choosing the Expanded Spellbook feat for him. Too Many Options!! I helped build a character I would like to play. :D

Changing character class is definitely on the plate, I tried to sell a Bravura Warlord to him, but he seems to want to give the Great Haraj another chance.

malraux

First Post
Thanks for the feedback.

@Malraux: Doing a total rebuild like that is something I am considering. But like you say, swapping out magic missile might make the difference. Maybe thunderwave is the answer. Possibly giving him an more interesting half-elf racial power is key as well. Not sure I want him running in close to the action with his puny leather amour on though.

Leather armor, plus Int bonus, plus Con bonus 1/encounter, plus 4 from Sheild 1/Encounter. I'm pretty sure my staff wizard has the highest AC in my party, and he can spike it even higher when he needs it.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Leather armor, plus Int bonus, plus Con bonus 1/encounter, plus 4 from Sheild 1/Encounter. I'm pretty sure my staff wizard has the highest AC in my party, and he can spike it even higher when he needs it.

Hmm something worth considering. Burning hands would be nice. Have to check out other blasty/close type powers.

One character I was thinking about was a nuker: a dragonborn wizard who would run into the middle of a load of enemies and fire off his blasts and close spells to fry his enemies. Not sure sure how survivable he would be long term. might need a lot of surges and a high con... :D

malraux

First Post
Hmm something worth considering. Burning hands would be nice. Have to check out other blasty/close type powers.

One character I was thinking about was a nuker: a dragonborn wizard who would run into the middle of a load of enemies and fire off his blasts and close spells to fry his enemies. Not sure sure how survivable he would be long term. might need a lot of surges and a high con... :D

My experience with this type of wizard is that he's a glass cannon. He's pretty hard to hit, but once he does get hit, it really hurts. So you need some sort of strategy to get away. In my case, I use the Eladrin's Fey Step. But really, you just need some sort of strategy.

Also, note that you can't activate shield or your staff power on your turn (no immediate interrupts during your own turn). So you really need to watch OAs.

All that said, I really like this style of wizard, and he feel magical to me. Its also important as the DM to provide things for the wizard to thunderwave creatures off, over or into: pits, cliffs, fires, wells, etc.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
What I'd suggest:

1) Get the create enchanted item ritual. Make a pair of braces of perfect shot (or whatever it is called). That gives you +2 damage with your magic missile, which keeps it useful, at say 2d4+7 (assuming 18 Int and a +1 implement by this point - which if you haven't got you should make!). 12 damage against reflex each turn is a pretty good contribution, even if it gets a little boring.

2) swap out one of the daily spells for Flaming Sphere. It is that good you might as well swap out both daily spells for it :) It will give him a sphere which he can attack with for 2d6+x damage every round vs reflex (as good as a maul armed fighter), AND it can control the battlefield by restricting enemy movements, scorching anyone who is pinned down by a fighter... and you just keep it going through the whole encounter.

3) Consider changing burning hands for one of the single target encounter 1 attack powers, like chill strike - which does better damage to a single target and dazes it, to the delight of your rogue friends. It is also easier to get off in crowded situations than burning hands (whose area is great, but you often find your mates get in the way).

Cheers

vagabundo

Adventurer
My experience with this type of wizard is that he's a glass cannon. He's pretty hard to hit, but once he does get hit, it really hurts. So you need some sort of strategy to get away. In my case, I use the Eladrin's Fey Step. But really, you just need some sort of strategy.

Also, note that you can't activate shield or your staff power on your turn (no immediate interrupts during your own turn). So you really need to watch OAs.

All that said, I really like this style of wizard, and he feel magical to me. Its also important as the DM to provide things for the wizard to thunderwave creatures off, over or into: pits, cliffs, fires, wells, etc.

It's a cool concept. Not sure if it quite what my brother is looking for, but something I'd like to play. If I ever did get to play :(...

What I'd suggest:

1) Get the create enchanted item ritual. Make a pair of braces of perfect shot (or whatever it is called). That gives you +2 damage with your magic missile, which keeps it useful, at say 2d4+7 (assuming 18 Int and a +1 implement by this point - which if you haven't got you should make!). 12 damage against reflex each turn is a pretty good contribution, even if it gets a little boring.

2) swap out one of the daily spells for Flaming Sphere. It is that good you might as well swap out both daily spells for it :) It will give him a sphere which he can attack with for 2d6+x damage every round vs reflex (as good as a maul armed fighter), AND it can control the battlefield by restricting enemy movements, scorching anyone who is pinned down by a fighter... and you just keep it going through the whole encounter.

3) Consider changing burning hands for one of the single target encounter 1 attack powers, like chill strike - which does better damage to a single target and dazes it, to the delight of your rogue friends. It is also easier to get off in crowded situations than burning hands (whose area is great, but you often find your mates get in the way).

Cheers

Thanks, solid suggestions.

Last edited:

Remove ads