D&D 5E Help with a Kobold thing

Lanliss

Explorer
I have Kobold's as a playable race in my world, though not the sort in VGtM. There are underground, and Dessert Kobolds, currently. Underground ones have Darkvision and Pack tactics, along with Sunlight Sensitivity. Dessert ones also have Pack Tactics, but what should I give them that fits with a dessert life, that rivals Darkvision (which I think still counts as more than 0, even with the sunlight sensitivity)?

I have seen some talk about an Arabian Night's type setting, what kind of dessert based racial traits were in that, that I might find useful?

Something like a sugar rush ability, that lets them dash as a bonus action? Unless you think that might be stealing from the rogue.

Maybe just give them an increased move speed, whenever they take the dash action. That way, it would stack with the rogue ability.

Lanliss

Explorer
Something like a sugar rush ability, that lets them dash as a bonus action? Unless you think that might be stealing from the rogue.

Maybe just give them an increased move speed, whenever they take the dash action. That way, it would stack with the rogue ability.

This is more of a general world building thing, not about my Kobold Assassin player. Unless you are not referencing him, in which case I ask, Why a rush type ability? Not judging, just curious.

This is more of a general world building thing, not about my Kobold Assassin player. Unless you are not referencing him, in which case I ask, Why a rush type ability? Not judging, just curious.
It's a sugar rush ability, because they live in a dessert. Hyperactivity is traditionally attributed to excessive sugar intake. Most desserts are noted for having high sugar content.

This isn't very funny when I have to explain the joke.

Lanliss

Explorer
It's a sugar rush ability, because they live in a dessert. Hyperactivity is traditionally attributed to excessive sugar intake. Most desserts are noted for having high sugar content.

This isn't very funny when I have to explain the joke.

ah, damn. i am normally so good at jokes. I am sorry I missed it... Also sorry my auto correct changes desert to dessert.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Well, if you are keeping pack-tactics, and want to remove the sun-light sensitivity, you'll want to hit them with something comparable.
The Sensitivity counters the pack-tactics during the daytime, making kobolds better for night time raiding and attacks, or in the underground.
If you take away the sensitivty, take away darkvision, make them a daytime race, basking in the sun during the noon time peak, and they are maybe sluggish
to react or have some kind of penalty during the night time when it's colder in the desert.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Depends what kind of dessert environment. If sand dunes and similar terrain that would be difficult terrain for most humanoids, perhaps they are adapted to moving along sandy environs and do not get disadvantage.

They should be adapted to conserve and need less water. Admittedly this is a less interesting skill in combat. But it can be useful narratively, think of the the Texas-ranger protagonists in The Lonesome Dove, who give up their chase of Blue Duck, because they know were out of water and they knew that he could go without water longer than they could

Some other interesting behavior and adaptions for kobolds, based on real-life animals:

1. They should be crepuscular or nocturnal. In US deserts, most reptiles and many snakes are crepuscular. Seem to be more snakes than lizards that are nocturnal.

2. They should plug the entrances of their burrows/lairs to keep out the heat. This can be a stone rolled over it, covering with vegetation, or a door, depending on level of technology/civilization.

3. Some animals hibernate in through the hottest periods. Kinda boring adventure wise, perhaps. Perhaps, if things go real bad for them, they can cacoon themselves inside a water-soluble mucus sack and hibernate until it rains.

4. Heat dissipation. Desert animals have evolved a number of way to become more efficient at dissipating heat from their bodies. Longer appendages, lighter colors, and urinating on themselves. Lanky, light-colored kobolds that piss on each other to keep cool, could be fun.

5. Water retention. Reptiles and birds excrete metabolic wastes in the form of uric acid, an insoluble white compound, wasting very little water in the process. Most stay underground during the hottest periods of the day.

6. Acquiring water. Probably from succulent plants like cacti and from other animals they eat. As intelligent creatures they probably have development methods to collect (solar sills, wells) and store water. Some creatures like certain desert rats can metabolically create their own water from dry seeds, which is pretty amazing.

7. Maybe they are spiky because their ancestors, like the horny devil developed spikes that collect dew and trickle it to their mouths. That could lead to "civilized" behavior that takes advantage of this adaption, like drinking the blood of sacrifices buy drippling it onto their heads and letting it trickle to their mouths.

8. They may have long and wide tails that they can curl over their heads giving them shade.

9. Or instead of shade tails, maybe, like Gila monster, they store fat in their tail, allowing them to go months between meals. Healthy, well-fed desert kobolds could have large, thick, club-like tails that could be used for an extra attack.

Lanliss

Explorer
Depends what kind of dessert environment. If sand dunes and similar terrain that would be difficult terrain for most humanoids, perhaps they are adapted to moving along sandy environs and do not get disadvantage.

They should be adapted to conserve and need less water. Admittedly this is a less interesting skill in combat. But it can be useful narratively, think of the the Texas-ranger protagonists in The Lonesome Dove, who give up their chase of Blue Duck, because they know were out of water and they knew that he could go without water longer than they could

Some other interesting behavior and adaptions for kobolds, based on real-life animals:

1. They should be crepuscular or nocturnal. In US deserts, most reptiles and many snakes are crepuscular. Seem to be more snakes than lizards that are nocturnal.

2. They should plug the entrances of their burrows/lairs to keep out the heat. This can be a stone rolled over it, covering with vegetation, or a door, depending on level of technology/civilization.

3. Some animals hibernate in through the hottest periods. Kinda boring adventure wise, perhaps. Perhaps, if things go real bad for them, they can cacoon themselves inside a water-soluble mucus sack and hibernate until it rains.

4. Heat dissipation. Desert animals have evolved a number of way to become more efficient at dissipating heat from their bodies. Longer appendages, lighter colors, and urinating on themselves. Lanky, light-colored kobolds that piss on each other to keep cool, could be fun.

5. Water retention. Reptiles and birds excrete metabolic wastes in the form of uric acid, an insoluble white compound, wasting very little water in the process. Most stay underground during the hottest periods of the day.

6. Acquiring water. Probably from succulent plants like cacti and from other animals they eat. As intelligent creatures they probably have development methods to collect (solar sills, wells) and store water. Some creatures like certain desert rats can metabolically create their own water from dry seeds, which is pretty amazing.

7. Maybe they are spiky because their ancestors, like the horny devil developed spikes that collect dew and trickle it to their mouths. That could lead to "civilized" behavior that takes advantage of this adaption, like drinking the blood of sacrifices buy drippling it onto their heads and letting it trickle to their mouths.

8. They may have long and wide tails that they can curl over their heads giving them shade.

9. Or instead of shade tails, maybe, like Gila monster, they store fat in their tail, allowing them to go months between meals. Healthy, well-fed desert kobolds could have large, thick, club-like tails that could be used for an extra attack.

Purely nocturnal might be interesting, Roleplay wise, but I am not sure what I can get out of it for abilities. Possibly a trance type ability, like the Elves? Ignoring certain types of Difficult terrain seems a bit situational, unless it is specifically a desert campaign.

Possible thoughts in the area of evolution

Wider feet, explaining how they ignore the sands. What other uses could this have?

Spines, as you said above. Potential biological weapon?

Heat resistance? A bit bland, but useful.

Long appendages and light colors might be good too, though I am not sure how to explain that with mechanics. a similar mechanic to the Bugbear long arms? That is kind of their main thing though, so I don't think that will work out...

You had some other good ones, but things like a fat tail put an odd image in my mind, so I don't think they are likely choices.

In my own setting, which uses a similar system, I gave my desert-dwelling race the ability to ignore difficult terrain entirely. If you can traverse sand easily, then that skill translates to running across mountains of garbage or negotiating thick underbrush.

Lanliss

Explorer
In my own setting, which uses a similar system, I gave my desert-dwelling race the ability to ignore difficult terrain entirely. If you can traverse sand easily, then that skill translates to running across mountains of garbage or negotiating thick underbrush.

Another choice, though that steps on Ranger a bit (admittedly one of it's less important abilities, IMO)

Remove ads