Help with a new Cleric in Forgotten Realms

Lord Ben

First Post
Okay, I've never played in Forgotten Realms yet but we're starting one on Sunday. I'll be playing a 1st level Cleric and I know the type of guy I wanted to be, but I don't know the diety I want.

I wanted War and something as a domain, and I wanted my guy to be both lover and fighter... :) Is there some sort of warrior diety that calls for good times and living large? Kord or Olidimarra's personalities work well for the PHB gods, but they don't have war.

For stats I rolled (on my first roll, no cheating) 15, 14, 14, 14, 13, 13 which IMHO kind of sucks because it's so blah. But it makes for a decent well rounded cleric. I was thinking human probably with power attack and divine might (now that it's a free-action).

Darklone

Lord Ben said:
I was thinking human probably with power attack and divine might (now that it's a free-action).
That ... depends. Ask your DM first which interpretation he likes. Divine Might still rocks as Standard Action.

Spellcasting Prodigy would save your average wisdom. I'd really go for that. Strength, Con and Cha 14 is nothing to sneer at and Wisdom 17 (with SP) would be ok till level 4, Divine Might at level 3 is not too bad.

Domains: War and Luck I'd say. If there is no god, go godless.

Last edited:

iwatt

First Post
From the FR campaign Setting, the Deities with the War Domain are (I'll include a brief description of those I know)

Anhur,
Anvoreen,
Clangeddin, LG dwarven awr god
Correlon Larethan,
Deep Duerra,
Gaerdal Ironhand,
Garagos, bloodthirsty uncontrolable rage
Gorm Gulthyn,
Gruumsh, Orcs
Haela Brightaxe, CG luck and war
Ilneval,
Red Knight, Strategic War
Selvetarn,
Sheverash,
Solonor Thelandira,
Tempus, CN (War, Chaos)
Tyr, LG (LAW)
Uthgar, CN or CG Demigod of Silver Marches Barbarians (lot's of totemic powers)

I currently play a Tempus cleric. He's a hard drinking lout wwho's capable of laying the smackdown whith the apropriate spells. The strength domain he get's from tempus makes for an awesome smack now that he's 9th level):D
I've got to go with the Spellcasting prodigy. Specially casue it will allow you to up other attribute along the way. My Wis 14 Cleric has had to use al his abilities eincrements on wisdom, and he's had a 17 str all this time
Str 14
Dex 13
Con 14
Int 13
Wis 15
Cha 14

Cleric were plate mail!

If you want o go for a more melle heavy aproach, switch Str with Wis, and on level 4 youll have a str 16 Cleric, with equivalent spellcasting wisdom of 16 as well.

uberkitty

First Post
Definitely take Spellcasting Prodigy -- there's no beating it.

You do have to choose a god in FR, unless your DM is playing off the book -- everybody has a deity in FR.

There's not much in the way of lover-fighter gods. With your DM's permission, of course, you might lobby for the creation of a sect of an existing god that incorporates more of what you're looking for. Say, a martial sect devoted to Lliira (CG; portfolio: joy, happiness, festivals, freedom, liberty) who go around smacking down those who'd get in the way of a good party.

Remove ads