• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with an odd encounter.

Dezarith

First Post
Hello people of Enworld.
I need help building a rather unusual encounter that i'm not sure how to stange.
Basically the level 1 players have just broken out of jail (Assume partial gear).
Essentialy they fight 2 gaurds. After both have been taken down, one shifts into an undead elite gaurd with full Hp.
Should I just use normal XP budget?
Or should i take it down or bring it up?
And other thoughts?

Ryujin

Legend
Are you going to be giving a short rest in between the time that the guards drop, and when one of them stands back up? If yes, then treat as two encounters and budget accordingly. If yes, then work it all though a single budget. Keep in mind that the party might have blown it's encounter powers in phase one, so phase two of a single encounter will be harder than usual.

Ryujin

Legend
Of course, but you run a risk in any encounter, that has a hidden element in it. The characters will have one encounter power, one daily power, and at-wills if they are classic builds. That's not a very big arsenal.

Quickleaf

Legend
So is it a bad idea or should dit just be toed down?

More information needed. What is your party size? Does everyone have a class appropriate weapon/implement they've scrounged? What level are the 2 guards and the elite which will comprise the encounter? The PCs' goal is escape...what's preventing them from taking one look at the elite and saying "screw it, we run for the exit"?

Dezarith

First Post
4 Pc's
1 of each role.
Not exactly sure on classes.
Yes they'll have appropriate weapons.
The fact that the last gaurd before he falls will run to the exit as if in escape.
As soon as te pc's get near the door it will come back and block it.

Quickleaf

Legend
4 Pc's
1 of each role.
Not exactly sure on classes.
Yes they'll have appropriate weapons.
And, importantly, what levels are the guards? That's kind of a basic necessity for encounter planning in 4e.

The fact that the last gaurd before he falls will run to the exit as if in escape.
As soon as te pc's get near the door it will come back and block it.

What if PCs drop the guard to 0 HP before he flees and/or lock him down with conditions?

Saagael

First Post
Here's what I'd suggest:

The first half of the combat is 1 standard monster and 4/5 minions.

The second half is just the one elite, maybe with a few more minions depending on how fast they can kill minions.

I'd also strongly hint to the players to not go nova. Say things like "It looks like more guards could show up at any moment if you stop for too long" or "there's a chance you won't get to a safe place to rest before facing some more guards."

Remove ads