Help with complex applications (Elemental Body)

Zourin

First Post
Even though I've DM'ed for years, I am still somewhat new adjudicating rules for pathfinder and frequently find myself at a loss for certain interpretations for how some indirectly-linked rules should apply.

For example, for one game I'm running, one player is playing an Elemental Fire bloodlined Eldritch Knight. His plan will eventually pick up Elemental Body I from his bloodline, which seems to come with a host of rule issues that I'd like to keep within scope before he gets it and starts that discussion.

This in mind, there's no real question that he would be able to continue to use spells (within confines of Eschew). However, there are two surprising gaps. First, the spell effect text explicitly lays out "size" modifications to Dexterity and Natural Armor (which seems racial, not size), and omits many other gained features of the 'Small Elemental' like would be seen in a true Polymorph effect anywhere else. In later iterations of the spell, they are expicitely mentioned, but omitted from earlier ones, which isn't enough to prepare a proper argument.

I'm left holding in my hands two options, to either rule a 'true polymorph' where the caster gains Elemental Traits and incidental modifications due to size, or an 'Imitation Polymorph' where only the spell effect and Polymorph-subschool rules apply, the players size is shifted to Small with no change in Attack, AC, CMB/CMD, or Sneak as appropriate, and does not qualify for the Elemental Traits block.:erm:

The second awkward ruling is whether or not armor and weapons would transition to still be usable, since an elemental (as per subtype, the only mention of any equipment proficiency) indicates he would be capable of using armor and weapons, thus may invoke the 'adaptation' rule rather than the 'absorption'.:hmm:

Am I missing anything or have any insights into an 'appropriate' ruling that would best keep things 'by the book'?

GlassEye

Adventurer
There is no true polymorph spell such as you describe (that I know of). Polymorph spells only make you appear to be that creature and give you some of the abilities but not all of them (Core pg. 211). As the spell increases in power (Elemental Body II, III, & IV) the change becomes more complete and the caster gains more of the creature's abilities. You're not supposed to get all the bits from the Elemental Traits block.

I don't know what 'adaptation rule' you are refering to, but the description of polymorph magics (Core pp. 211-212) specifically says that a polymorph spell that turns you into an elemental also causes your gear to meld into your body.

Zourin

First Post
Yeah, you're right. It was a bit easy to miss. Thanks for the clarifications!

The +1 size modifiers to attack/AC/Sneak and -1 modifier to CMB/CMD for being small is implied and applicable in addition to the ability score and natural armor adjustments. Not that I'm particularly worried about a bonfire trying to skulk in corners.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
One interesting aspect I noticed from playing my druid about the Elemental Body line of spells is that unlike the beast shape line, the stat bonuses you gain are based solely on the elemental body spell used, NOT on the actual sized form you assume. With Beast Shape, the size bonuses are written directly in for the respective new size options.

So for example, if he used EB IV to take the form of an earth elemental, he would get +8 str, -2 dex, +4 con, and +6 natural armor, whether he took the form of a small earth elemental, a huge one, or anything in between. This is handy for those times you simply could not fit in the dungeon as the maximum possible sized form.

Remove ads