D&D 3E/3.5 Help with Fighter- DND 3.5 -

Sadrik

First Post
If you get money... Buy an animated tower shield. It will bump your ac dramatically. I recently played a melee type and you need buffs. If you have stingy casters you will die. If your DM is throwing a lot of melee monsters against you, you will die. He needs to throw monsters that can challenge the group not just a melee characters. It is rough playing the fort while everyone else plays the artillery...

Ahnehnois

First Post
well since you can trip when they fell doesnt that trigger attacks of opportunity?
Not if you leave. The idea of Spring Attack is to get in, do your thing, and get out. If you trip the enemy and then move, they can't make a melee attack against you. If you're not worried about their melee attacks, then you stay and beat them up, and if they try to get up they provoke.

Meatboy

First Post
If your getting plastered in melee and no one is helping you out grab a composite long bow. You have decent dex and good str with help from the bow ranger you two should be able to soften up most things before they even get close. Get the other ranger to grab a bow too by level 8 that's at least 6 attacks before melee starts more if the monsters start at any kind of range. Once they close whip out your scythe and knock guys over then let the rangers blast them full of arrows while you move on.

Thanks all of you. All of your comments and advice, gave a new look into my character. and how i should be using all of his particularities and feats correctly.

Now my party: It's Me, a Favored Soul who wants to summon monsters as well. (he's been a help so far but could be better), a Beguiler that has been one of the main assets in terms of utility, 2 rangers: 1 with bow spec..and one with two weapon fighting (short sword)and a npc or two that may fill a gap at times.

"Empirate", You are right when saying that i should bear my scars as badges of honor and hardwork. Yes, my character actually loves combat, and being immersed in it. the problem about all this is our DM that may not be weighing stuff around too well. the whirlwind has been working very fine so far. when surrounded, it's a master killer. At my turn i get them a bit peeled off , so the rest can end them along with me.

Now, as far as Buffs are concerned.. we really need a good support. our Favored Soul / Summon Monsters wannabe does what he can, but he's lost some levels that would make a GREAT Favored Soul. If i die, maibe i should roll a Cleric+Dwarven Defender

Only more recently, after some new implementations our DM made regarding a cult to Cthulhu, the balance was shifted. Before, hard battles, were hard, but challenging and not near impossible. we felt good about being beat up. because it was nicely weighed. Now, all it seems is that he's tired of this campaign, ( just like it happened with many others in the past..)

Now: I do have acess to all books, other than core. he has 'em all. let's see what i can do to better use the feats i chose so far. Thanks!

If you're going to go with cleric, don't even think about hopping in to dwarven defender. Actually, don't even think about going DD period. Spellcasting is so much better than DD. That and if you're going to try and tank stuff, you absolutely need to be mobile and benefiting from dwarven defender's abilities means that won't happen. Or you need to be able to draw everything to you and survive it. The DD can do the latter, but not the former since it lacks actual offense to make you a threat.

Favored Soul is an odd class to try summoning with, but it can work. If he's lost levels though, you guys need to find ways to bring him back up ASAP because summoning stuff can really be awesome. Does he have any summoning feats perchance? What kinds of things does he typically summon?

Honestly, there's little better you can do with your current feat choice than improving your tactics, until you level. You don't seem to have the support needed to make those feats really shine (enlarge person is one of the big ones, pun intended). And you also don't seem to have much support from the DM to let you do a lot since he's screwing you on magic items.

You may wish to look up the "Lockdown fighter" build and see how it uses its feats. There's also this build which will give you an idea of the real power possible with D&D.

Last edited:

Belzbet

First Post
So i have This Fighter at lvl 8 with a focus on Scythe combat. And despite him having 20 AC(21 with dodge), he still gets his arse kicked too much. here's what he has:

HUMAN:
STR -20
DEX -16
CON -16
INT -13
WIS -11
CHA -11

+1 BREASTPLATE
+1 SCYTHE
GAUNTLETS OF OGRE POWER I (+2 STR BONUS)
AMULET OF NATURAL ARMOR (+1 AC)

FEATS:

DODGE
MOBILITY
SPRINGATTACK
WHIRLWIND ATTACK
IMPROVED TRIP
WEAPON FOCUS (SCYTHE)
WEAPON SPECIALIZATION ( SCYTHE)
IMPROVED CRITICAL

Still, i don't get as many crits as i would like, but.. i can't complain. dice rolling can't be messed with.
i still get pretty kicked up. how can i get sturdier? ( i know improving our gear is an answer, but our DM is cheap.)

As note that buidl is NOT supposed to be a defensive build it is offensive when it gets that crit it does some damage and it may do some damage otherwise... BUT dont complain if its not a sturdy PC its a offensive PC

Belzbet

First Post
So i have This Fighter at lvl 8 with a focus on Scythe combat. And despite him having 20 AC(21 with dodge), he still gets his arse kicked too much. here's what he has:

HUMAN:
STR -20
DEX -16
CON -16
INT -13
WIS -11
CHA -11

+1 BREASTPLATE
+1 SCYTHE
GAUNTLETS OF OGRE POWER I (+2 STR BONUS)
AMULET OF NATURAL ARMOR (+1 AC)

FEATS:

DODGE
MOBILITY
SPRINGATTACK
WHIRLWIND ATTACK
IMPROVED TRIP
WEAPON FOCUS (SCYTHE)
WEAPON SPECIALIZATION ( SCYTHE)
IMPROVED CRITICAL

Still, i don't get as many crits as i would like, but.. i can't complain. dice rolling can't be messed with.
i still get pretty kicked up. how can i get sturdier? ( i know improving our gear is an answer, but our DM is cheap.)

As note that build is NOT supposed to be a defensive build it is offensive when it gets that crit it does some damage and it may do some damage otherwise... BUT dont complain if its not a sturdy PC its a offensive PC... Use spring attack to its fullest advantage thats what I say...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases