• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with some character ideas...

Theroc

First Post
There are many, many supplemental materials for version 3.5 A portion of them are in my sblock... and there are a good deal more.

They want to know which sources of the 3.5 supplemental materials are available, so they don't waste time suggesting materials you can't use.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Also,I don't know much about 4e,but why do people ask me what books I'm using if I'm posting on the pre-4e forum?

Independently of what edition of D&D you are playing, some DMs will restrict which books are allowed. A very strict DM might only allow classes from the PHB and DMG, for example. Since some of the options given are from other WotC 3rd edition books, it becomes relevant whether, for example, your DM allows classes from the PHB II (3.5 edition) in your 3.5 game.

[Edit: Ninja'd! You win this time, Triangle_Man!] :)

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Alright, I'm pretty happy with all the options that have opened up to me at this stage. Arcane Tricker with the suggested level distribution from Thanee seems to be really good. If im not mistaken,at level 20 I would have the spells of a level 18 wizard, and with practiced caster a caster level of 20?

Yep, that's right. There is also a way to get 19th level equivalent spellcasting, but it's... tricky (because of the HUGE skill requirements involved). Basically you end up as a Spellthief 1 / Wizard 5 / Unseen Seer 1 / Arcane Trickster X.

But I would just go with the "simple" way, as posted above (normally it would actually be more like Rogue 3 / Wizard 5 / Arcane Trickster X, but since the Spellthief so nicely offers an extra Sneak Attack level, that works much better, of course).

So,regardless,I think im going Arcane Trickster. Does anyone have any idea for Feats? Also, will there be an XP penalty for going Rogue 1/ Spellthief 1/ Wizard 5/Arcane Trickster X?

If I have it right,Rogue/Spellthief do not conflict since they are both within one level of each other. Im going Moon Elf,so my favoured class is Wizard,so that's not a problem. Do prestige classes invoke XP penalties?

Nope. As an elf, there is no xp penalty that way.

Elf will also work great. Whisper gnomes are just very sneaky, and since you mentioned that word a few times... ;)

But elf will work well for sure.

As for feats. The good thing is, you do not need any, so you are free to decide what suits you. There are certainly plenty great feats for such a character out there.

You should also think about Wizard specialization (and if you want to be a generalist, pick up the Elf Wizard substitution levels from Races of the Wild).

Bye
Thanee

NewJeffCT

First Post
I went through the Beguiler but I didn't like Suprise Casting, (Although at level 20 it seems really good). Going Bard was what I did last campaign,so I doubt I'll do it again,although it was a blast. My DM really hates Bards. He views them as the archenemy of Duskblades for some reason.

Just curious - why does your DM hate bards? I've always considered players who liked playing bards to be into things like role-playing, and not necessarily just combat.

And, why the archenemy of a duskblade? As a DM, a duskblade is a nice bad guy because some of their powers are front-loaded (quick cast) and best used in one big epic encounter. If my evil duskblade is there for just that one big encounter, she does not have to worry about conserving her quick casts... but, I don't see the class as diametrically opposed to a bard?

EccentricBard

First Post
Sorry for the delay,I couldn't get on ENW for the last two days.

My DM loves Duskblades and Monks. We have a constant argument going on,where he says Bards are useless,and I argue style goes over substance.

Somehow,this has warped his thinking (and mine to some extent) into finding the opposing class as an archenemy.

Also,there may be the fact that during his last campaign,I discovered that judicious application of bardic Suggestion may be the equivalent of a level code for D&D. Make enough rolls and you can do ANYTHING.:D

Not only did it let my party blow through some nice encounters,it let me roleplay,diss some monks(whom I disliked), but it gave us full XP for overcoming the challenges (and let us steal some cool armour).

Going back on topic,I'm going to use to specialize in Illusion/Divination for my Wizard levels. One thing I'm not too sure about is if I can Scribe Spells with Spell Levels I gained from being an Arcane Trickster. Do Arcane Tricksters still need a spellbook if they draw the spellcasting from Wizards?

PS:My DM used to have problem with my maxed Sleight Of Hand and Bluff. Fochlucan Bandalore at level 2 anyone?

MichaelK

First Post
Sorry for the delay,I couldn't get on ENW for the last two days.

Me either.

Do Arcane Tricksters still need a spellbook if they draw the spellcasting from Wizards?

To the same degree as wizards do, yes. You use the same preperation method and casting method as your original class when you take up a prestige class like that.

However there is some debate over whether you get those free 2 spells per level in your spellbook, as that is a wizard class feature and not technically part of their spellcasting.

EccentricBard

First Post
Well,I'm pretty happy with the Arcane Trickster, although Daggerspell Mage does seem like a nice alternative,and I heard that a lot of people favour one or the other.

Which book is the Unseen Seer by the way? It sounds cool.

If I remember,I can sneak attack with rays(or any spell that is a touch attack,right?) but does the 30ft range to my sneak attack still apply this way? I could lay some serious smack with Maximised Melf's Acid Arrow + Sneak Attack.

Lastly,does anyone feel that the Sorceror is a good alternative to the 5 Wizard levels? I'm probably going Wizard anyway,since I don't like the flavour of Sorceror as much as Wizard,but I'd like to hear some opinions.:hmm:

EDIT: Which stats should the Trickster use primarily? We use a really overpowered stat array (Nine Hellz yeah!) but the DM compensates with stronger enemies. The array allows us to allocate our stats like so. 18,16,14,12,12,10. At least I THINK that's overpowered. I was going to go Int,Dex,Con,but then I realized an Arcane Trickster has a d4 hit die

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
However there is some debate over whether you get those free 2 spells per level in your spellbook, as that is a wizard class feature and not technically part of their spellcasting.

I remember there being a debate in 3.0 before it was specifically stated in casting prestige classes as to whether sorcerers also gained the appropriate spells known at level up. Even though it seemed pretty obvious that was the intent and was entirely reasonable. *shrug*

I'd seriously hold a grudge against a DM that tried to deny me my dinky 2 spells known for gaining a spell level out of technicality. That's just one of those picking a fight over nothing scenarios.

OP: You have the right idea with your stat array, maybe switch con and dex if you're worried. I'd say stick with wizard. Especially since you mentioned wanting an illusion/divination focus. In Complete Champion, there's a variant to spend one of your wizard bonus feats (in your case, the level 5, I guess) to gain the ability to spontaneously cast any divination spell you know, like a cleric does with cure spells. You do not need to be a diviner for this variant.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
If I remember,I can sneak attack with rays(or any spell that is a touch attack,right?) but does the 30ft range to my sneak attack still apply this way? I could lay some serious smack with Maximised Melf's Acid Arrow + Sneak Attack.

You can SA with any spell that has an attack roll and does damage (of any kind, not only hp damage*). However, you still must be within 30 ft and fullfill the requirements for SA. You can take care of the range issue with a level 1 spell from Spell Compendium, Sniper's Shot. It's a swift action to cast and lasts for one round, allowing you to SA at any range.

I don't see why your example would be so good, though. Melf's Acid Arrow is a godawful spell, maximize is usually not worth the +3 adjustment, and SA would not apply on the damage in following rounds. The main idea with SA casting builds is to use the spell as a rider for the SA. The lower level the spell you can use to deliver SA against touch (and presumably, flatfooted as well) AC, the better. Or at least the more efficient. You should use higher level spell slots for spells that let you fire off many touch attacks in a single round, so you can then hopefully deal SA damage with all of them.

*In such cases, SA deals hp damage as negative energy

irdeggman

First Post
Ninja is a good "stealth" class that does sudden strike damage and has some pretty good class abilites, although not a spell caster it might still be a decent fit for your concept.

warlocks are also pretty good, especially if you take the non-damge invocations (like the invisibility, darkness, dimension door type of ones).

Remove ads