D&D 5E Help with tier 1 magic items

TheSword

Legend
See post 2 on this thread:

I rerolled stuff that I didn't like the random for... and sometimes I sub in monster/boss gear, custom items, etc.

There are also some good extra magical item docs on the DM's Guild (including one by me!).
I really hate random rolling this stuff. If something is worth doing, it’s worth doing with your eyes open. The link is awesome though for the analysis!

aco175

Legend
I tend to not give +armor or weapons at these levels. I would give out a +0 sword that lets you re-roll an attack 1/rest or a dagger that returns when thrown. More utility stuff and feel or letting you get another chance at something. I had a bow that lets you get another shot off if you critical and a dagger that lets you use misty step 1/rest.

I also give out cheap magic that is just fun. Something like a continual light candle 5ft or a bedroll that floats 1 inch off the ground. A mug that fills with beer or such that is fun but not tactical.

J-H

Hero
Here are three uncommon items from my Extended Magic Item Tables suitable for low levels.

Barrage Bag
Wondrous item, uncommon
This is a lumpy leather sack weighing just over two pounds. The mouth of the sack is a flattened metal cone pointing outward. Once per day, the barrage bag may be activated to spray 2,000 ball bearings in a stream 10’ wide x 20’ long. Any creature in the path of the stream takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage unless it has cover from the spray. The ball bearings land in the affected space and become a trip hazard (Dex DC 10) like standard ball bearings. The bag can be placed on the ground and activated again; the bearings will roll into the bag over the space of 1 minute, refilling it for use the next day. If the ball bearings are lost, the bag ceases to function.

Dogbane Armor
Armor (light), uncommon
This leather armor is enchanted to negate the wearer’s odor. Creatures with the Keen Smell ability do not have advantage on Perception checks to track or locate the wearer, and canine creatures (dogs and wolves) have disadvantage on attack rolls versus the wearer.

Nasty Nest
Wondrous item, uncommon
This nearly-spherical chunk of wood is 6” in diameter, and has numerous small holes in it. A faint buzzing sound comes from within if it is charged. Once per day, the Nasty Nest may be thrown at a square (20’/60’ range). When it lands, it will emit a magically created and very angry Swarm of Wasps, who will begin by attacking the creature nearest to them. They will persist in attacking the next-closest creature until destroyed, or until there are no creatures within 60’ of the Nest, at which time they will return to the nest. The Nest can be used only once per day, recharging at sunrise.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Nasty Nest
Wondrous item, uncommon
This nearly-spherical chunk of wood is 6” in diameter, and has numerous small holes in it. A faint buzzing sound comes from within if it is charged. Once per day, the Nasty Nest may be thrown at a square (20’/60’ range). When it lands, it will emit a magically created and very angry Swarm of Wasps, who will begin by attacking the creature nearest to them. They will persist in attacking the next-closest creature until destroyed, or until there are no creatures within 60’ of the Nest, at which time they will return to the nest. The Nest can be used only once per day, recharging at sunrise.
hornets.jpg

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
1. Read the books to get an idea of what the power level would be for the items the characters might find/

2. Don't use any of the magic items from the book. Make most of your magic items unique. Players will remember odd things like a cat statue that meows when you pet it or a beer mug that fills up with beer when you say the command word and slam it on a bartop more than a +1 mace.

3. Don't be afraid to offer an item that is a little higher in power level, but which also comes with a corresponding drawback THAT CANT BE IGNORED WHEN YOU USE THE ITEM.

For example, I offered an almost artifact level power magical weapon to my party with the following rules.

+2 Greatclub (yes, club. Nobody wants a club but this club was awesome enough it made the paladin put down the greatsword.
The club is semi-sentient and urges the user into a frenzied state when its used.
The user of the club MUST USE all the benefits of the barbarians Rage and Reckless Attack benefits.
Each round the user must make a WIS save of DC 9+(rounds of combat) to avoid losing control.
When the user loses control they must attack the nearest living target to the best of their ability. This loss of control lasts until they fall unconscious.

The party let the paladin have his fun even after he killed some of the parties horses during one combat. Eventually, when fighting some Yuan-Ti and their captives in a temple the paladin lost control near a cage of innocents....and bad things ensued. The party then colluded to steal the "Wabbajack" and hide it from the paladin for the rest of the campaign.

FireLance

Legend
Here are some examples of rewards (not necessarily magic items) from a paladin solo campaign I'm working on.

Charms
The PC earns these charms by completing rituals which are story goals in the adventure.

Charm of Warding. This charm allows you to use your reaction to create a defensive ward when you take hit point damage. The ward reduces the damage you take by 1d10 + your proficiency bonus (to a minimum of 0 damage). Once you do so, the charm vanishes from you.

Charm of the Watcher's Ward. This charm allows you to cast the protection from evil and good spell as an action, no components required. Once you do so, the charm vanishes from you.

Charm of Guiding Flame. This charm allows you to cast the faerie fire spell as an action, no components required. Once you do so, the charm vanishes from you.

Alchemical Clubs
Alchemical clubs are single-use items created by attaching a handle to a ceramic bulb containing an alchemical compound. An alchemical club weighs 2 lb and has the Light weapon property. A character proficient with clubs is proficient with alchemical
clubs.

When an alchemical club hits a target, the ceramic bulb shatters, releasing the alchemical compound onto the target. The target takes damage as though it was hit by a club and suffers an additional effect, as follows:
Alchemical Acid Club: The target takes 2d6 acid damage.
Alchemist’s Fire Club: The target is affected as though it was hit by a flask of alchemist’s fire.
Tangler Club: The target is affected as though it was hit by a net.

Others

The Sunshield (requires attunement by a character with the Channel Divinity feature). When you are attacked by a creature within 5 feet of you that you can see while holding this shield, you can use your Channel Divinity as a reaction to cause the shield to flare with dazzling light, imposing disadvantage on the attack roll before it hits or misses. An attacker that can't be blinded is immune to this effect.

Vigilance (requires attunement). This magic longsword allows you to instinctively notice and react to danger. When you roll for initiative while holding Vigilance, you may make a Wisdom (Perception) check instead of a Dexterity check to determine your initiative. When you finish a short rest or a long rest, you can also change Vigilance's form into any melee weapon you are proficient with that does not have the Heavy, Reach or Two-handed properties.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Silvered weapons, cold iron weapons. Non-magical but you can do full damage to werewolves or fey, instead of being helpless against them. If the group bumped into some and expect more ...

Remove ads